Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Latest Gwen J race [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jesus. I know slowtwitch is a tough crowd, but ...

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:

SheTries wrote:
She won’t go into coaching, she hasn’t got that skill set to enjoy it. I am not a fan but she is living her best life so good on her.
On 1 Apr, she announced the soft launch of Gwen Jorgensen Coaching and specifically stated that it wasn't an April fool's joke. She said she is using her husband as a test subject but would be developing plans for sale on Training Peaks. Beats me.

I think she's put herself in a great position to sell training plans to recreational athletes, especially females, assuming that running & multisport markets rebound starting this summer. Mark Allen would be the model.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Gwen J race [iron_mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
iron_mike wrote:

But what? Do you really think she would want to back to an accounting career field? I would guess she let her CPA lapse long ago and would have to retest, start from scratch, then take on the high workload audits as a staff/associate accountant along with young men and women more than 10 years younger while people her age who had stayed with the career field have already moved up from senior associate to manager and are making a lot more money. She admitted in a recent interview that she doesn't even do her own taxes. She has spent the majority of her adult life as a professional athlete. You can count on two things this year: 1) she will not make the U.S. Olympic Team and 2) she will not go back to accounting.
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Gwen J race [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mark Lemmon wrote:
HuffNPuff wrote:

SheTries wrote:
She won’t go into coaching, she hasn’t got that skill set to enjoy it. I am not a fan but she is living her best life so good on her.
On 1 Apr, she announced the soft launch of Gwen Jorgensen Coaching and specifically stated that it wasn't an April fool's joke. She said she is using her husband as a test subject but would be developing plans for sale on Training Peaks. Beats me.

I think she's put herself in a great position to sell training plans to recreational athletes, especially females, assuming that running & multisport markets rebound starting this summer. Mark Allen would be the model.

Absolutely. This is probably her best bet going forward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Na, she's there to do the pre-audit motivational speech!

Washed up footy player turned Triathlete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
iron_mike wrote:

But what? Do you really think she would want to back to an accounting career field? I would guess she let her CPA lapse long ago and would have to retest, start from scratch, then take on the high workload audits as a staff/associate accountant along with young men and women more than 10 years younger while people her age who had stayed with the career field have already moved up from senior associate to manager and are making a lot more money. She admitted in a recent interview that she doesn't even do her own taxes. She has spent the majority of her adult life as a professional athlete. You can count on two things this year: 1) she will not make the U.S. Olympic Team and 2) she will not go back to accounting.

yup on going back - which people keep telling me to do... been bike messenger 7 years now - i used to be software developer and really the new generation I cannot compete with if I go back. Gotta start from the bottom. Knowing what is needed to climb that ladder again is quite demeaning - and would require reinvesting in schooling/certifications/etc
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Gwen J race [TheStroBro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Na, she's there to do the pre-audit motivational speech!

anonymity allows people to exercise their true selves. for better or worse.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Latest Gwen J race [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan,

As we've exchanged emails previously, you know I'm not anonymous. However, I was partially sarcastic but also serious about her going back to work as an accountant. From all accounts she is brilliant in that field.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Dan,

As we've exchanged emails previously, you know I'm not anonymous. However, I was partially sarcastic but also serious about her going back to work as an accountant. From all accounts she is brilliant in that field.

i know who you are. but others i don't think do. but i guess you're right, as facebook demonstrates. people are quite happy to inflict or be tone deaf with full disclosure.

or maybe i'm just not acute enough to grasp the humor.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Out of general curiosity. What is your commentary about this performance. She often talks about how she disliked triathlon, but is more than happy to describe herself as the "Queen of Triathlon" on her website.

I couldn't tell you what she should do next as an athlete, but the world is her oyster for things away from actually competing.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Out of general curiosity. What is your commentary about this performance. She often talks about how she disliked triathlon, but is more than happy to describe herself as the "Queen of Triathlon" on her website.

I couldn't tell you what she should do next as an athlete, but the world is her oyster for things away from actually competing.

i don't have an opinion about her performance. a really easy way to run a 15:29 is to try to run a 14:50 and not quite be able to handle that pace. by the time you're halfway through, and you know a 14:50 is not in the offing, the damage is done. it is my guess - though i don't know - that the race went something like that. however...

it is her desire to see how she can perform as a pure runner, after having given the best part of her elite athletic window to college, work, and triathlon. whatever she does - however she does - belongs to her. the way i see it, triathlon was more or less per public endeavor. running is her private endeavor.

i'm expect you disagree, which is your prerogative, and i'm not going to argue with you. you asked me; i answered you.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
Time to start thinking about the next career plans.

She doesn't have to worry about money once she retires. With her social media following, she'll make a decent amount of money, I would imagine there would be plenty of motivational speaking offers and no doubt there's lots of weekend warriors who would sell a kidney to get her to write a training plan for them. Also if she has invested her earnings wisely she could put her feet up and do nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for your response. One of the things about living here, and I mean specifically these United States is that we have Freedom of Choice in so many endeavors. She is free to continue to be a professional runner. What I take Umbridge with is her continuous disdain for Triathlon. That's it, nothing else. When Triathlon is what built her platform, and she was what her website says. Her triathlon success is what facilitated her current running career.

There is no ill will here, or desire to "inflict pain", just commentary from our collective "cheap seats".

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TheStroBro wrote:
Thank you for your response. One of the things about living here, and I mean specifically these United States is that we have Freedom of Choice in so many endeavors. She is free to continue to be a professional runner. What I take Umbridge with is her continuous disdain for Triathlon. That's it, nothing else. When Triathlon is what built her platform, and she was what her website says. Her triathlon success is what facilitated her current running career.

There is no ill will here, or desire to "inflict pain", just commentary from our collective "cheap seats".

true that! if she was swedish she'd have no choice but to work at the government lingonberry cannery for the rest of her life!

anyway, i always like seeing the word 'umbrage' used. and to some extent i hear you that some of her comments can rub the wrong way, if only because we want her to keep on loving tri (and by extension loving us). i'm not sure she "owes" anything to 'us,' though there again i know what you mean.

http://howtobeswiss.blogspot.ch/
Quote Reply

Prev Next