Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides?
Quote | Reply
Hi, guys. Could you help me to confirm some parameters of my training please?

I'm currently in a quite stressful period of my life and not looking to set up any PRs this year. Just want to dig up from a hole and have some fun in the process.
I'm doing majority of my trainer rides 'easy'. In order to calculate that, I got my FTP from a Zwift ramp-up test, and set the Erg mode to 70% (with progressive 5-10 min w/u and c/d)
During those 1-2 hour rides the heart rate drifts between 65-75% of Max. Sounds about right?

But those rides don't feel 'easy'. Every time it's a psychological challenge and different parts of the body hurt. 2-hour ride throws me out more that 1:45 min easy run with a higher HR.
After 3 months of these FTP didn't change, but may be it's just offseason and overall life problems.

Should I reduce wattage or STFU and continue?
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides? [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
An "easy" trainer ride for me is 45 minutes, 15 at 55% FTP, 15 minutes at 65%, and then 15 minutes at 55% FTP.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For me, easy ride = base endurance

60 to 65% of Max HR
45 to 50 % of Max VO2 Power
Around 65% of FTP

Outside it is easy to go 2, 3 or 4 hours or more
Indoor, hope you have a fan :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2 hours on a trainer is hell, no matter what the resistance. I would not categorize anything over 1 hour as "easy."

Second, 70% of FTP is my top end threshold for an easy workout.

So, 1 hour at 65% FTP would be my definition of an easy ride. (I could ride indefinitely at 65% FTP, but I start to get bored with indoor rides after 90 minutes.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy for me is when I'm not thinking about cycling but just look at the TV/Netflix or talk to your cofee ride buddy. It feels like your almost not cycling (to me). I'd say its 50% of my FTP. Zone 1. Sometimes a bit harder but that's just because it still feels as easy. Not bc I want to hit a certain power number.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy rides should be accomplished by breathing only thru your nose. anything else is endurance training.

Also consider taking in-the-ear body temp 2x a day - one at waking and one after exercise. Chronic fatigue and emotional stress go together. It may be that you aren't needing easy rides as you are a healthy body.

get a massage. sit in a mineral bath. red wine. whiskey. tea....

be good to yourself!

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides? [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you everybody for answers!

Looks like taking it easier is the most effective approach at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't heard of taking temperature for stress or fatigue. What are you looking for with the temp readings and what are you expecting to see?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easy ride for me is probably on average a 140 HR out of 205, so maybe 68% of max.

I could ride this pace forever.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides? [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pyrenean Wolf wrote:
For me, easy ride = base endurance

60 to 65% of Max HR
45 to 50 % of Max VO2 Power
Around 65% of FTP

Outside it is easy to go 2, 3 or 4 hours or more
Indoor, hope you have a fan :-)

Pretty much my easy ride effort as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70% of outdoor FTP is not easy, no way!

I would say 55 to 60% of outdoor ftp.

Also, RPE and HR likely higher for the same wattage given heat and psychological challenges (boredom)!

Lastly, never STFU. Always listen to the body... It is speaking to you, just need to listen. In a race, it is different
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides? [FuzzyRunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Core body temperature is crucial for organ function esp the brain.
aural measurements are more accurate for core temperature, over oral.
emotional stress can affect core temperature (higher) as well as reduce blood flow to periphery (hands, feet).

First you need some sort of baseline for the person (my 'normal' temp is 97.2deg) and then see if readings are higher. as this particular person already knows they are under a lot of stress, getting a baseline may be difficult. So, hint hint, everyone should get a baseline in Jan/Feb then look at this metric in July/Aug.

Stress and elevated core temp

critical thinking by Greg Lehman on the body/pain connection

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
...and set the Erg mode to 70%

Turn off erg, go by feel, and mix it up a little.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You’re basically doing it all wrong... Too hard not to be stressful but too easy to make you fit or feel happy. Either go way easier or way harder for short intervals. Also, listen to your body, and your life, if things aren’t there just take time off.

Easy should feel easy, fun should be fun.

Good luck!

E

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You should be comfortably able to breath only through your nose for at least a minute at anytime during your ride.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ask77nl wrote:
But those rides don't feel 'easy'. Every time it's a psychological challenge and different parts of the body hurt. 2-hour ride throws me out more that 1:45 min easy run with a higher HR.
After 3 months of these FTP didn't change, but may be it's just offseason and overall life problems.

Should I reduce wattage or STFU and continue?
What is the point of these rides? If you want to gain fitness, then maybe they're OK. If you just want to recover and chill they're obviously way too hard. You know that. You don't need wattage to know that. You know that.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
70% ftp is definitely not easy recovery.

More like 45-55% ftp. That’s the recovery range in Trainer Road. Generally my HR is 110-117 with a threshold of 168hr
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A steady diet of 1-2hr rides at 70% FTP is a poor way to increase your FTP. You’d be better off with 2x20 SST or a structured training program incorporating a variety of intervals.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said. My easy recovery days are 45% of FTP, HR is usually 103-107 bpm, threshold is 162. 40 minutes, otherwise it is a training day.
Quote Reply
Re: Sanity Check: how easy are the easy rides? [jt10000] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jt10000 wrote:
What is the point of these rides? If you want to gain fitness, then maybe they're OK. If you just want to recover and chill they're obviously way too hard. You know that. You don't need wattage to know that. You know that.

Well, the point is to gain the fitness, as with any training. Even as little as possible taking into account how much I can recover.

70% FTP 1-2 hour rides were supposed to be the 80% easy part. I'm also doing 1 hard ride session and 1 hard run per week.

I probably confused the parameters with running. I am able to breath through the nose and talk and whatever. Even highest HR during those rides is lower than during long easy runs. It's just legs that are complaining.

I thought with time the RPE will match HR and those rides will become easy on muscles as well. But it didn't happen. :)
Quote Reply