Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [Alexs321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote JeffJ…for a shoe that may last 5+ years and many thousands of miles - an outright bargain compared to running shoes....[/quote]
This. Interesting that some (not all) spend hundreds of dollars each year on running shoes that end up in the donation bin, but aren’t willing to spend on cycling shoes that last much much longer. I’ll be upgrading my road shoes soon as well, and will surely be looking at it as a 5+ year investment that I use frequently.
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:

The upstroke is 50% of your pedal stroke. How is it not important?

Why do triathletes keep regurgitating the same crap. Can you not learn from cyclists? It's almost as bad as thinking that 1 leg drills are useful. Have we not been over this enough?

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸš΄πŸš΄πŸš΄πŸš΄
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mario S wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:

The upstroke is 50% of your pedal stroke. How is it not important?

Why do triathletes keep regurgitating the same crap. Can you not learn from cyclists? It's almost as bad as thinking that 1 leg drills are useful. Have we not been over this enough?

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸš΄πŸš΄πŸš΄πŸš΄

Still very prevalent amongst roadies. Tribal superstition along with carbon soles and bottom bracket stiffness. All justified by " improving power transfer". If it made a positive difference it would be trivial to measure. No one has managed to.
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [carlosflanders] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just curious. How obvious the difference it is between carbon vs non-carbon sole in the shoes? Any obvious improvement in power transfer?
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [AlexS321] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My strategy on shoes and helmets is to last year's upper range products this year with a nice markdown. If you can time it with Black Friday or similar sales you can get another savings. As my turkey stock was simmering this year, I got a nice pair of Sidi's with dual boas that listed around $500 for I think $275.

My last Sidis have lasted 5-7 years iirc and they are still very functional - but a bit scuffed and tattered to go with my sleek bike. They will last me on the trainer for several more years.

As other have said - its a contact point and if you have a special need / pain / fetish its easy to justify a larger investment - same as I have custom ski boots that were about $1000.

" I take my gear out of my car and put my bike together. Tourists and locals are watching from sidewalk cafes. Non-racers. The emptiness of of their lives shocks me. "
(opening lines from Tim Krabbe's The Rider , 1978
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skyjuice wrote:
Just curious. How obvious the difference it is between carbon vs non-carbon sole in the shoes? Any obvious improvement in power transfer?

I think it’s night and day. The power transfer is much better.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: How much would you spend on cycling shoes? [captainolek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling shoes last a few years, plus they are a major contact point when riding so IMHO this is definitely an item for which price should not be much of a question

Agree.

This is an important contact point with the bike - for power transfer and for comfort.

Fit is everything.

As for cost - a well taken care of pair of road shoes should last for years and years. My latest pair of Giro Empire SLX are starting their 3rd season and still essentially look brand new!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply

Prev Next