Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin 530 Recording Issue
Quote | Reply
Just got an Edge 530 recently and learning how to use it.

This morning I thought I would take advantage of a storm front and head out for an extended segment (starred) of about 12km distance. The segment starts about 1.5 km from my front door.I had done it once and finished 2nd to a well known Strava local. I wanted to see how the better wind direction may affect the outcome.

I left home and started the device and all appeared to be working fine. So although I pretty much pressed go the second the device got access to a very overcast sky it seemed to work. The distance was updating, speed and duration working fine etc. I got the warning that the segment was about to begin and took off.

Live updates were working throughout. Slowly increasing from 6 secs up, 20 secs, 44 secs ... ultimately advising a new PR 1:15 quicker than the first effort. But then I noted that it said I had only covered 1.7 km and my average speed was about 4 kph. I saved the ride etc and started a new one and though it messed around for a bit, finally started recording normally.

What ended up uploading to Strava was the full mapped ride. When viewed in Flybys it shows me correctly at every location at the correct point in time. Strava advised that I had PR'd multiple segments including 4 KOM's. However if you view the overview timeline it only gets to the 1.7 k point then stops, not showing the slider bay continuing further on the overall path. If you click on any of the segments there is no data for speed, cadence etc.

Does anyone know what may have happened? I did not touch the device at all during the effort. Given Strava told me my splits and the Flybys shows where I was at all time (no GPS drift etc), would you say this is sufficient for a public upload (currently private)?

Don't particularly want to feel that sort of hurt again for a long time!
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin 530 Recording Issue [mv2005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really wild guess. Obviously could just be a very rare glitch in the file, I've had it on the old 510 about 3 times, and not on the 3 week old 530.

But if the course you've done is very hilly, and I mean no offence here but I was playing in the settings and found the 'auto stop' out of the box was about 8kph. Now I don't use autostop at all, but I wonder if it was pausing as you were doing very steep climbs? So Straval would still be getting some segments, but perhaps the pausing was in between which was why it didn't match the whole segment?

Are you using 1s or smart recording?
Quote Reply