Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Vasa Noise?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,
I’ve read through many of the old VASA erg threads and didn’t see this anywhere, but can anyone tell me about how loud theirs is? Seems like it’s benefitted many, and am thinking I’ll take the plunge, but this info would really help plan out its location. And 10ftx4ft seems to be the right footprint for it?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Noise? [SVxHR=CO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its not super loud. It creates some noise but its more of a background hum. I would put it on par with what a kickr produces. I can put my phone on the floor underneath the machine and listen to a podcast with the volume all the way up.
On dimensions: I dont know the dimensions of the machine exactly but you need 6-12" wider than the machine and prob at least a foot longer than the length depending on how tall you are and how much your feet will hang off the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to have the regular version. Now have the space saver version. I get the same workout but can fold up the bench when I need space. Only downside of space saver version is that it has to be attached to a wall. It's not that loud - I listen to music on my I-phone while I train.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's not quiet, but if you shut the door to whatever room you're in it's not a problem for others in the house.

Size wise, I'm 6'2 and I usually lay with my knees just off the back of the bench - I've not measured but 11 or 12 feet would be much safer than 10 - 10 seems too close. For width, I'd go maybe to 5 feet rather than 4 - the last thing you want to do is bash a wall swinging your arms forward when doing fly because your space is too tight (spoken from experience with noted scenario).
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Noise? [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the insight so far. I’m 6’3” so the longer length makes more sense for me. For any who have the space saver ERG, do you find the workout the be similar enough or would I really be missing out on something? The space saver would go well in our basement gym, but I think the full would be relegated to the garage.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve had both space saver and regular. Workout is the same. Only difference is bench does not slide but I’ve found that matters zero and like my space saver version better. Nice bench you get with it too that I use for strength training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have the analog version (90s-era, saved from a neighbour's trash day, #winning). It's just the nylon wheels on the rail. not loud at all.

Loudest noise comes from letting it slam back to the bottom or when letting go of the pads and letting them swing and hit the front support. *clang!*

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the space saver version, and love it. As others have said, it's about the same noise level as the older Kickr versions.

One thing to think about - I have it installed on the wall in my garage, and my home office shares that wall. The noise in the office is actually louder than in the garage from the vibrations. Keep that in mind when you decide which wall to attach it to.
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Noise? [RangersBouncy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great replies. Anyone glad or not that they got ANT+? Think I might regret not getting it if more interval work comes out. I use TR and really like that format
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ANT+ is a waste of money. Does not integrate with Garmin head units very well.

As for the noise - I have the ERG model and it certainly does produce a fair amount. I have it in the garage, but I would imagine that it would be a bit of a nuisance for a downstairs neighbour.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Vasa Noise? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got and like the ant+ version. Seemed like a small price difference given how much the thing already costs. I connect it to wahoo head unit and it records reliably. I dont get a lot of use out of the data on the head unit during workouts but it pushes info to training peaks for tracking and review purposes which I find useful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without knowing the particulars of where it will be located, I can't say for sure how disruptive it will be. I have a treadmill, bike on a dumb trainer and a Vasa erg(among other things) in my pain cave(one floor down). My wife can only hear the whirring of the dumb trainer upstairs and occassionally a low thumping from the treadmill. She can't hear the Vasa at all. If she could hear it, I would know...

I have the ANT+ version and am glad I do. I connect to TrainerRoad and easily converted(renamed) a bunch of 30min and 45min Sweetspot and Vo2max workouts for use on the erg. Just a couple of clicks to change FTP and I get a good workout in. The power numbers on the unit have been eerily accurate.

I'm still in my first year of swimming so it is hard to say how much Vasa has helped me versus just swimming hard and swimming often. But it has definitely allowed me to be more consistent with my workouts. Even though I can get in the pool sometimes 5-6 days/week, I can hit Vasa in the am and pool in the pm or on days I can't hit the pool, I can always squeeze in a Vasa workout.

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And cool username. You're all heart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wish I would have gotten ant - if for no other reason than picking my head up to look forward where the display is located isn't the easiest way to maintain both wattage and appropriate form.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just wrapping up week 3 with my new Vasa Erg (Ant+). I did their 3 week intro program and am now planning to use it with TrainerRoad moving forward. There's a team on TrainerRoad that you can join that has regular TR workouts built/modified to be Vasa Erg workouts. Glad I bought the Ant+ version so that I can use TR for future Vasa workouts.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't get the ANT version. I feel like it was a waste of money. I never end up recording it. It's not like it has ERG mode that is controlling resistance.

The numbers it puts out don't mean anything. If I am doing an indicated 1:30/100m on the display it is soul crushing. I would be going like 1:05 in the pool at that effort. The watts don't translate to anything. I only ever use it on damper door 1 anyway. Anything more is crazy difficult to pull to the point I can only do 100m and quit.
Quote Reply