Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

AST Liver Test Anybody have experience with this
Quote | Reply
I had a 53 two years in a row. Doc wants and ultrasound. I have no symptoms or predisponsitions, except heavy training.

Anybody got any knowledge
Quote Reply
Re: AST Liver Test Anybody have experience with this [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had it 2 years ago. Had a physical done right after doing an Ironman, and my AST had a reading consistent with that of a cirrhosis patient. Re-tested about 3 weeks later, and it was back to normal.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi

AST is not (just) a liver enzyme. It also leaks from muscle.

If you are training regularly, it may be elevated because it's from your muscle (which is normal after exercise).

You could do a couple of easy things, much cheaper than imaging:

1. recheck it after 3 days of rest (yeah, right?) together with a CK (also known as CPK, creatinphosphokinase) level
2. check a GGT level (gamma glutamyl transferase), an actual liver specific enzyme

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Yup, my oncologist detected it in a blood test in 2017 right after Eagleman. Had to do a liver ultrasound and spooked me a bit (had BC in 2013). Turned out everything was just fine. Now I make sure to get all my doctors done in the off season!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had high ALT and AST for years, which my doctor attributed to Ironman training. Got a new doctor who didn’t buy it.... did multiple blood tests and liver ultrasound. Still showed nothing but the elevated ALT, AST and slight anemia. So sent me to a Hepatologist who redid the ultrasound and more blood tests. Turned out it was Celiac disease (confirmed with an endoscopy).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had high ALT and AST for many years, sometimes double the high number used for ranges. Doc was not too worried, said some folks come in with 10 times that, but finally did the ultrasound. And I had frigging fatty liver!! I couldn't believe it, but there it was on the ultra sound. I guess they look for a bigger size and any possible cancers, which I didnt have.

So that was my wake up call, cleaned up my diet a tiny bit, and eventually went on the intermittent fasting. I looked back at old blood tests going back 15 years, and I was almost always high in these categories, but never super high to the point it was on my radar. So after 6 months of the IF eating, they both dropped to just under the high level, and now over a year and a half into IF, they are middle high in the range. So basically my liver got the break it was longing for, and cleaned itself up and got in shape!!. And I didnt really change what I ate so much, as when I ate it. T went up too, but that is for another thread..(-;

Do the ultrasound, otherwise you will just worry and wonder.
Quote Reply