Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

old trainer - replace hydraulic oil?
Quote | Reply
Does hydraulic oil degrade over time? My Cycleops fluid 2, which is in good shape and I don't have any plans of replacing, seems to have a lot more resistance than it did when I first got it in the early 2000's. to ride at an easy aerobic pace now means that I have to be in the 39/21 or 23, but I seem to recall that when new the gearing was roughly the same as on the road, so easy aerobic would be in a 39/14 or 15.

Has anyone here replaced the fluid? I doubt there's any warranty claim here, considering the age of it, so may as well try it out. I'm gonna pick up a bottle of ISO46 light hydraulic oil and see if there's any improvement.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: old trainer - replace hydraulic oil? [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that there is gear oil in there and no hydraulic oil. Also, with those cycleops trainers if it ain't leaking I wouldn't touch it either. No telling if you take it apart that you can get replacement o-rings/or whatever they use for seals (usually if you take something apart that has seen heavy use reusing an old seal might not seal properly anymore or it could be on it's way out and removing it put the final nail in the coffin).

I forget the thread but there was a post on here a number of years ago where a member asked for the MSDS sheet and it listed something like Valvoline (or another brand) 75w90 gear oil or something (what you typically see used in manual transmissions or differentials in cars).
Quote Reply
Re: old trainer - replace hydraulic oil? [loxx0050] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
loxx0050 wrote:
I'm pretty sure that there is gear oil in there and no hydraulic oil. Also, with those cycleops trainers if it ain't leaking I wouldn't touch it either. No telling if you take it apart that you can get replacement o-rings/or whatever they use for seals (usually if you take something apart that has seen heavy use reusing an old seal might not seal properly anymore or it could be on it's way out and removing it put the final nail in the coffin).

I forget the thread but there was a post on here a number of years ago where a member asked for the MSDS sheet and it listed something like Valvoline (or another brand) 75w90 gear oil or something (what you typically see used in manual transmissions or differentials in cars).

I don't think that's correct. Apparently the MSDS lists Mobil DTE 746 - which is an ISO viscosity of 46. 10w30 is apparently equivalent to 71, can't imagine that 75w90 would work.

https://forums.mtbr.com/...lacement-889576.html

I'll keep a something under the trainer, just in case it leaks, and I have a tube of marine-grade silicone at home too, just in case.

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good you found something. I couldn't remember what it was but did recall it is not hydraulic oil. I personally think gear oil would work better than 10w30 motor oil though for resistance if you had to try and replace the fluild yourself. My memory might not serve me right but I recall the thread was referring to specs on the Mobil fluid (I am now recalling it is this brand) they used being similar to gear oil. But that's what my mind wants to believe currently which is or is not necessarily right.

I did have a leaking fluid2 resistance unit before (from an early 2000s model) and got a warranty replacement "pricing" (since I wasn't the original owner) for $100+ shipping from Saris directly. It came with the updated larger flywheel even. Something to consider when your unit eventually leaks (unfortunately their sealing method for these units they are not permanent and will fail).

I honestly went direct drive smart trainer and haven't looked back though a few years ago.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my cycleops 2 trainer started dripping oil a few years ago. i contacted saris and they had me send it in and replaced it for free. lifetime warranty. i bought that trainer back in 2009 and saris replaced it in 2017, if memory serves me right. just read the instructions. i didn't take off the trainer clutch knob and ended up having to order a new one.

eta: i am not sure if they'll replace it for the issue you're describing. reach out to them.
Last edited by: d00d: Feb 26, 20 10:53
Quote Reply
Re: old trainer - replace hydraulic oil? [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
d00d wrote:
my cycleops 2 trainer started dripping oil a few years ago. i contacted saris and they had me send it in and replaced it for free. lifetime warranty. i bought that trainer back in 2009 and saris replaced it in 2017, if memory serves me right. just read the instructions. i didn't take off the trainer clutch knob and ended up having to order a new one.

eta: i am not sure if they'll replace it for the issue you're describing. reach out to them.

I don't think they do, but I'll give them a shout. Complicating things a bit is that mine is "trek" branded, so I guess I'd have to go through Trek?

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JasoninHalifax wrote:
... seems to have a lot more resistance than it did when I first got it in the early 2000's. to ride at an easy aerobic pace now means that I have to be in the 39/21 or 23, but I seem to recall that when new the gearing was roughly the same as on the road, so easy aerobic would be in a 39/14 or 15...
maybe it's not the trainer?
Quote Reply
Re: old trainer - replace hydraulic oil? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update, I pulled the plug and replaced the oil with aw32 hydraulic oil, and it’s running near perfect now. The nice thing is that I was also able to “tune” the resistance curve so now 30kph on the trainer feels similar to 30kph outside. I don’t have a pm to verify, but just going on RPE I’m hanging out in roughly the same gears that I would use outside on he flat. So that’s nice.

It did take a few tries to get right though. The first time, I didn’t completely drain the old stuff out of the unit, then overfilled it. The resistance was through the roof. Could barely do 80 rpm in the easiest gear. Clearly that wasn’t going to work. Drained again then added fluid in 20ml increments, then 5ml until the resistance was right. Total volume 75ml

It also runs way cooler now. In the past the resistance unit would get hot to the touch, now it’s just warm.

No leaks (yet...knock on wood)

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply