Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will I rise?
Quote | Reply
Found out I still had an account here, started reading my old posts from way back, and found something to feed a thought that has been in the back of my mind for a year or so.

I used to be a dedicated recreational triathlete in my 40ies. Used to do 400-500 h of training each year. Not much, but enough to do a long distance triathlon each year and keeping my weight in check:). Was very involved in the triathlon community in Norway, arranging triathlons, starting up and running clubs and websites.

Last long distance was Norseman in 2010. A couple of shorter triathlons in the following year, and then nothing. I burned out on triathlon, and even worse I burned out on exercise.

Not quite out of the triathlon community as I’m involved in Norseman Xtreme Triathlon (that’s me running with the flag on the “white course”). But that’s it.

And here I am, 55 years old and just about south of 100kg. Don’t know where I have my running shoes, my bike hasn’t been used in 5 years, but I have a Garmin watch that asks me every week “time to do some exercise?”

And it might be. It might be time to take life into a new/old direction. I miss being in relatively good shape. I miss the early morning swim, the long ride and the LSD runs. I miss having a goal.

It’s gonna take a lot of time and it’s gonna be painfully slow, but I have done it before. Step by step. Last man walking again?

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply
Re: Will I rise? [LastManWalking] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LastManWalking wrote:
Found out I still had an account here, started reading my old posts from way back, and found something to feed a thought that has been in the back of my mind for a year or so.

I used to be a dedicated recreational triathlete in my 40ies. Used to do 400-500 h of training each year. Not much, but enough to do a long distance triathlon each year and keeping my weight in check:). Was very involved in the triathlon community in Norway, arranging triathlons, starting up and running clubs and websites.

Last long distance was Norseman in 2010. A couple of shorter triathlons in the following year, and then nothing. I burned out on triathlon, and even worse I burned out on exercise.

Not quite out of the triathlon community as I’m involved in Norseman Xtreme Triathlon (that’s me running with the flag on the “white course”). But that’s it.

And here I am, 55 years old and just about south of 100kg. Don’t know where I have my running shoes, my bike hasn’t been used in 5 years, but I have a Garmin watch that asks me every week “time to do some exercise?”

And it might be. It might be time to take life into a new/old direction. I miss being in relatively good shape. I miss the early morning swim, the long ride and the LSD runs. I miss having a goal.

It’s gonna take a lot of time and it’s gonna be painfully slow, but I have done it before. Step by step. Last man walking again?

to me, it sounds like you've already made the decision and i congratulate you for stepping out. your post here is your anchor. the flag in the ground. you're now on our radar. at least, you're on my radar. i expect future posts, and to follow your progress. commence...

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you won't be last, I'll be walking it in, behind you ;-)

welcome back, and thank you for helping to organize Norseman..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5JCMStdN2W4

"It is a good feeling for old men who have begun to fear failure, any sort of failure, to set a schedule for exercise and stick to it. If an aging man can run a distance of three miles, for instance, he knows that whatever his other failures may be, he is not completely wasted away." Romain Gary, SI interview
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just get back on the bike. Go for some nice easy and fun rides. You’ll be back in no time.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome back!
Quote Reply
Re: Will I rise? [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys! Yes, Dan you’re quite right. The decision has been taken, or else I wouldn’t have posted :) but given the shape of this old man, it’s gonna be a long process of “baby steps”.

The length of the race isn’t that important anymore , but I hope to once again being part of the swim start mayhem :)

Shoes and clothes prepared for my first morning run in ages, but what I really long for is the pool and open water swimming!

See you!

Bent Olav Olsen, recreational triathlete?
Quote Reply