Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes
Quote | Reply
I was wondering if anyone has experience using Giro's lace up bike shoes for Ironman distance racing. I have an athlete who is itching to buy a pair and I've only come up with reasons not to get them.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [geoffreydean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lot of discussion on this thread here, but I'll chime in with my own experience as well. I've been using Empire ACCs (the cheap version) for about a year and a half now. Haven't cut the tongue out yet, but I do use elastic laces. I also only race 70.3 so keep that in mind. I primarily got them for the supposed aero advantage over normal velcro strap tri shoes. I don't have the numbers to back that up but it's hard to imagine they're not faster. They're perfectly comfortable for me, though I'll admit I haven't ridden in many shoes, especially not many nice shoes, so I may be missing out on a truly comfortable shoe experience. I think they look slick, are easy to slide in and out of, and are perfectly functional for anything under 1000w efforts on the trainer. It really takes some serious yanking on the shoes for the elastic retention to not be strong enough. I would say though, that your athlete could just look at the trends of top pros at Kona. Many are running real bike shoes, not tri shoes. If its worth the couple of extra seconds for these guys to put on a real pair of shoes that they know is comfortable and fast, it's probably worth it for your standard Ironman racer as well.

Benjamin Deal - Professional - Instagram - TriRig - Lodi Cyclery
Deals on Wheels - Results, schedule, videos, sponsors
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you do a search on empire, I think you'll find many discussions on them. For those that they fit well, they seem to be popular. I think some folks replaced the laces with stretch laces or similar. I think Thomas Gerlach has posted a lot about them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I switched to the Giro Empire SLX and just bought the new model for training. They are really light, comfortable and on most accounts pretty aerodynamic. I cut out the tongue and replaced with elastic laces in my race pair and i'm very happy with the decision. The extra effort to flying mount on them vs a regular tri shoe is minimal with lots of upside.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Right on! Thanks Mr Deal and everyone.

Geoff from Indy
http://www.tlcendurance.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another Empire ACC user here - tongue removed and elastic laces work great even when climbing extensively (in and out of the saddle).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't screw around with replacing laces with elastic versions. Get the Giro Imperial with twin BOAs. They are so light and you can lock in the fit.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1.) $$$
2.) BOA dials aren't aero
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
Another Empire ACC user here - tongue removed and elastic laces work great even when climbing extensively (in and out of the saddle).

What is the rationale for removing the tongue? Is it more for mounting/flying mounts to allow easier access??
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [Amnesia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amnesia wrote:
JASpencer wrote:

What is the rationale for removing the tongue? Is it more for mounting/flying mounts to allow easier access??

If you are using elastic laces, the tongue will scrunch when you try and slide in. Guess this matters on flying mounts or when you don't have a few seconds too spare to adjust the tongue. I go with adjusting the tongue, but I'm also solid BOP.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great for long distance racing. Significantly more aero than velcro/ratchet/boa shoes that more than offsets the time to put them on. I add soccer silicone lace covers for the extra aero.

https://forum.slowtwitch.com/...20thomas%20#p6014346

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:
1.) $$$

Sure :) Because having your foot locked into the shoe for optimal power transfer is less important than the drag off two small dials, one which is placed behind the other. Every grand tour rider is using shoes with BOAs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
JASpencer wrote:
1.) $$$

Sure :) Because having your foot locked into the shoe for optimal power transfer is less important than the drag off two small dials, one which is placed behind the other. Every grand tour rider is using shoes with BOAs.

That is almost as ridiculous as ignoring aero.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jstonebarger wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
JASpencer wrote:
1.) $$$

That is almost as ridiculous as ignoring aero.

Every single last rider is using BOAs.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Feb 27, 20 3:58
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
my go to shoes for biking in general - very light and stiff.

you can use elastic laces if you don't feel like wrestling with reg laces everyday AND the price is right ($150-250) in most places.

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [jstonebarger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's different when you pull up as hard as he does on the up stroke. /pink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oooohhhh... Pro grand tour riders. Yes, that's who we should model after! /pink

Thomas Gerlach (pro triathlete) was the first to try this, and comments specifically on your concern. Ie, it's not a concern. It's a misunderstanding of the pedal stroke. Since he first did this a number of other pros have followed suit.

A large number of us amateurs have also switched to elastic laces, tested them in aero and observed similar gains.

Personally, I've done 1000 watt standing start Sprints... Which is about the worst test case for the setup, as it's really THE ONLY time you can/should apply significant pull forces to the pedal. I've pulled out of my cleats doing these, never out of the shoe.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 27, 20 4:33
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Oooohhhh... Pro grand tour riders. Yes, that's who we should model after! /pink

Thomas Gerlach (pro triathlete) was the first to try this, and comments specifically on your concern. Ie, it's not a concern. It's a misunderstanding of the pedal stroke. Since he first did this a number of other pros have followed suit.

A large number of us amateurs have also switched to elastic laces, tested them in aero and observed similar gains.

Personally, I've done 1000 watt standing start Sprints... Which is about the worst test case for the setup, as it's really THE ONLY time you can/should apply significant pull forces to the pedal. I've pulled out of my cleats doing these, never out of the shoe.

In my opinion the Giro Imperial is an amazing shoe. It's very similar to the Empire, but with BOAs. Super light, stiff, and the BOAs lock everything down. It's an excellent option for the OP.

As well, these shoes didn't exist when Gerlach modified his Empires. He would probably still prefer his modified Empires as he found something that works well for him, but still the Imperial is a shoe I would recommend considering to the OP.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Feb 27, 20 6:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Except that your are Missing that the ENTIRE point is to avoid the aero PENALTY of the BOA. That penalty has been documented through aero testing to be around 5 watts.

You don't have to believe it.... If your in the M50-54 AG, then by all means conitie to wear your BOAs.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why doesn’t the giro prolight techlace get more discussion? Seems like it could be the best of both worlds with aero and adjustability.
Quote Reply
Re: Giro Empire Lace Up Shoes [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ko21 wrote:
Why doesn’t the giro prolight techlace get more discussion? Seems like it could be the best of both worlds with aero and adjustability.

Because the straps are less aero, they are more expensive and everyone who tries the empire with elastic laces realizes how easy it is to get them on and there is nothing more you need.

They are comfortable, light, aero, stuff and you can find older models cheap. There is really nothing to improve upon.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
Except that your are Missing that the ENTIRE point is to avoid the aero PENALTY of the BOA. That penalty has been documented through aero testing to be around 5 watts.

You don't have to believe it.... If your in the M50-54 AG, then by all means conitie to wear your BOAs.

I will continue to use them thank you. I'm not 50-54 and I'm not too worried about losing any performance metrics from a BOA on my shoe. It doesn't seem to bbn other guys like Patrick Lange among others. ST did an article last season of how a lot of triathletes are switching to BOAs. Triathlete.com as well. Its documented that many triathletes are favoring such shoes, but just continue to be dismissive of the opinion of others that is not your preference.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't care about opinions, just data. My shoes are demonstrated to be faster in my own testing. You're welcome to believe the opinions of others.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Feb 27, 20 8:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don’t think you understand what an opinion is. Tom isn’t expressing one. He’s giving you factual data. If you choose to ignore factual data because it is your opinion that a BOA is faster or better for you even if it’s not faster, that is, of course, your prerogative.

Advice- get the Ballista with BOA behind the heel. Gives you the security you seem to want and likely no aero penalty!
Last edited by: DFW_Tri: Feb 27, 20 8:30
Quote Reply