Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014
Quote | Reply
i just received my assessment on my home in AZ. Over the last 18 months my house's value has increased by 40+ thousand dollars. It's like I am living in CA without the high taxes and donkeys. I told my wife we should sell and just buy a nice RV. Unfortunately she is not ready to be a nomad, but living in the desert has gotten her half-way there;

"Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rose in September by the most in more than three years, indicating resilient demand at a time of persistently scarce inventory, according to S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller data released Tuesday.

The 20-city property values index increased 6.2% year-to-year (the estimate was 6%), the most since July 2014, after gaining 5.8% year-to-year. The national home-price gauge rose 6.2% year-to-year. The seasonally adjusted 20-city index advanced 0.5% month-to-month (the estimate 0.3%)."

https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com/...-most-since-mid-2014

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
i just received my assessment on my home in AZ. Over the last 18 months my house's value has increased by 40+ thousand dollars. It's like I am living in CA without the high taxes and donkeys. I told my wife we should sell and just buy a nice RV. Unfortunately she is not ready to be a nomad, but living in the desert has gotten her half-way there;

"Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rose in September by the most in more than three years, indicating resilient demand at a time of persistently scarce inventory, according to S&P CoreLogic Case-Shiller data released Tuesday.

The 20-city property values index increased 6.2% year-to-year (the estimate was 6%), the most since July 2014, after gaining 5.8% year-to-year. The national home-price gauge rose 6.2% year-to-year. The seasonally adjusted 20-city index advanced 0.5% month-to-month (the estimate 0.3%)."

https://www.nationalmortgagenews.com/...-most-since-mid-2014

Seattle up 13.2%. I can attest to that. A realtor friend of ours said the market has gone berserk over the past 3 weeks. She listed a home and had 7 offers on it in a day. Inventory is really low at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [jkca1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no idea what my house is worth. I just know its paid for and worth a lot more than when I bought it 23 yrs ago. I'm not planning on moving right away and housing markets rise and sink constantly. Irrelevant which side of the bubble I'll be on when I do sell as I'll probably just still be stepping sideways.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If only that were true in NJ. Bought in 2013, sitting on a 15% loss in value...
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [dah5609] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dah5609 wrote:

Really. That is surprising. Why hasn't it recovered in 7 years? 2013 was not the height of the bubble, not even close really.
Last edited by: Uncle Arqyle: Feb 25, 20 12:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A neighbor listed their house for 1 mil the other day. It's a 70 year old house, small lot, 1200 sq ft upstairs, and around 1000 downstairs, but the basement has a 7' ceiling. They had lots of foot traffic through but no sold sign yet.

If theirs sells for anywhere near that, I told my wife we are selling and moving somewhere else.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My house in Nashville has nearly doubled in value. Yea me!

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty flat or slightly down for years where i am in the northern Philly burbs. We wouldn't get back what we paid 14 years ago, but got to live somewhere.

the Del Val area is nice - but right now the AZ desert seems a better option
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

Same for the house we live in, except we rent it... so yea us, at least the landlords haven't jacked up the rent, I guess.

Landlords bought it in 2012 for approx. $225k. Did some renovations but nothing major/structural - redid the kitchen floor and put in mid-market appliances, new vanity and toilet in one bathroom but didn't redo the tub, etc. Now assessed well north of $500k.

Market here has seemed bubbly for several years now, even on top of the generally expensive nature of Boston real estate.
Last edited by: wimsey: Feb 25, 20 12:21
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don’t all homes in TN double in value when you put the wheels back on?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought my house in 2001 for $700K.

About two years ago, it was worth about $3M.

Today, it's worth about $2.5M.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In theory I was up ~8-10% on my place in Orlando and I’m probably up ~40% since I bought it. I’ve recently considered selling everything, quitting my job, winding down my side businesses, and building out a camper van to travel the country and ride my mountain bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I bought my house in 2001 for $700K.

About two years ago, it was worth about $3M.

Today, it's worth about $2.5M.

About the same for me, without the extreme spike/drop. It all feels pretty bubbly right now.
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [DEEPSEADOC/E-9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DEEPSEADOC/E-9 wrote:

That would be in the Republican areas...

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:

I have heard many people say Nashville is a great place to live. I have yet to visit, but you must be onto something.

"The great pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do."
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Bought my house in Idaho in 2010 for $205,000, it is worth about $400,000 today. Great for me, I was born and raised where I am at and was lucky enough to buy at the right time. Sucks for the local kids younger than me that won't be able to afford anything with the wages around here.
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [DEEPSEADOC/E-9] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DEEPSEADOC/E-9 wrote:

You know you are a redneck when you have to steer around a buried car to mow your lawn

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [A-A-Ron] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A-A-Ron wrote:

Bought my house in Idaho in 2010 for $205,000, it is worth about $400,000 today. Great for me, I was born and raised where I am at and was lucky enough to buy at the right time. Sucks for the local kids younger than me that won't be able to afford anything with the wages around here.

Of course, they could just move somewhere that pays more, and move back later if they wish. My children are not guaranteed a home where they grew up.
Last edited by: oldandslow: Feb 25, 20 16:03
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [len] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
len wrote:
DEEPSEADOC/E-9 wrote:

You know you are a redneck when you have to steer around a buried car to mow your lawn

...or a house that's mobile and ten cars that aren't.
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We originally bought in 2008 right at the top and then downsized in 2013 thinking that would be at the bottom of the market but seems to just keep going down slightly year on year. I think we're in our own little negative bubble in Bergen county. Also depends on size of house, I think anything over $1m is proving hard to shift.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jkca1 wrote:
ironclm wrote:

I have heard many people say Nashville is a great place to live. I have yet to visit, but you must be onto something.

Second hottest job market behind Austin. 2.4% unemployment. We also jumped way up on the Milken Institute's Best-Performing Cities Index. Amazon is bringing 5,000 new jobs.

The region performs well in both one- and five-year job growth indicators and ranked 17th and 14th, respectively. Highlighting this job growth, more than 23,000 jobs were added to the health care, construction and leisure and hospitality sectors in the Nashville metro area from 2016 to 2018.

Although known primarily as "The Country Music Capital of the World," Nashville’s economy also comprises an emerging tech hub and a hot spot for corporate and entrepreneurial relocations and expansions. The region has recently attracted startups like Framework, Made in Network, and XOi Technologies, placing the metro and its vibrant tech scene at ranks 12th and 24th in our five- and one-year high-tech GDP growth indicators, respectively.

Plus, if you love music - it's the place. Pro hockey, football and soccer, AAA baseball. Lots and lots of bars, craft breweries, distilleries (two within a mile radius from my house).

Too cold in the winter for me (but I hate cold). Come visit - I'll meet up with you for a cocktail.

clm
Nashville, TN
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [Uncle Arqyle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Arqyle wrote:
dah5609 wrote:

Really. That is surprising. Why hasn't it recovered in 7 years? 2013 was not the height of the bubble, not even close really.

I dunno, cuz nobody wants to live in Jersey if they can possibly help it...?
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [oldandslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oldandslow wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

Of course, they could just move somewhere that pays more, and move back later if they wish. My children are not guaranteed a home where they grew up.

Except most of the better-paying areas have even tighter housing markets, so they won't be able to get any further ahead there unless they have another relative already in the area who could let them move in for next to nothing.

"They've done studies, ya know... 60% of the time, it works EVERY time."
Quote Reply
Re: Home prices in 20 U.S. cities rise by most since mid-2014 [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OneGoodLeg wrote:
oldandslow wrote:
A-A-Ron wrote:

Except most of the better-paying areas have even tighter housing markets, so they won't be able to get any further ahead there unless they have another relative already in the area who could let them move in for next to nothing.

Yet, millions of people do exactly that every year. Many try it and move back, many are quite successful in furthering their career. They may stay or move somewhere else (even back home, if they wish). A bunch of folks find someone else, and make it work with two incomes. As a person who usually complains about inequities, I remain firmly convinced that people should go out and make their way (and maybe return). The difficulties in that should not stop people from trying.
Quote Reply