Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Bottle Service Poll
Quote | Reply
If there was the equivalent of a food truck or hot-dog stand located along a popular cycling route to refill your water bottles with ice cold hydration mix:

1. would you use it?

2. how much would you pay for a refill?

3. What hydration drinks would you want stocked (scratch, gatorade, hammer, etc)?

4. Would you want anything else there besides hydration?
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [resistadj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Already exists, it's called gas stations, 7 Eleven, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In the SF Bay Area, one route comes to mind that has poor access to a gas station is Mt. Tam up in Marin. I usually see a guy selling nuts, dried fruit, and bottled water higher up and it's always a great stopping point. If he were not around, there would not be too much choice other than a park water fountain. Routes like this would be well suited for a small vendor like you suggest but I don't know how much money you'd make. I'd pay upwards of 3-4$ without thinking about it for a nice cold bottle of Gatorade. I don't like to stop at gas stations while riding though because of the brief risk of having to leave my bike unattended.
Last edited by: David Swafford: Feb 25, 20 5:45
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

Wawa

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can make it work, this is a great idea.

I would pay extra for any service that used my existing bottles (i.e., gave me refills in my bottles) and did not stock disposable plastic bottles. Charge a price that makes you a reasonable amount of money for the refill service, and if you have to have some hydration in wasteful disposable bottles, charge a steep premium to discourage use of those.

Of course offer clean water. On cool days, a Gatorade type mixture would also be awesome. And on hotter days, a similar mixture but diluted by 30 to 50 percent with water would be a good option as well.

No need to use brand name Gatorade, you could easily make your own healthier mix (without the colors and crap) for far cheaper.

Not sure what food options you could or should offer, but sell a few clif bars and maybe some salty foods too ..

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 25, 20 6:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In most cases no. I buy in bulk to save. I take what I need for the entire ride before I leave.

If I need to stop for some odd reason, gas station/etc as noted above. But, I only do that about once a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would think you would need something that keeps people coming back. In my experience, people will use a service once, find out what they like and then just take care of it themselves by planning ahead or purchasing in bulk
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:
In most cases no. I buy in bulk to save. I take what I need for the entire ride before I leave.

If I need to stop for some odd reason, gas station/etc as noted above. But, I only do that about once a year.
Same here. If I go on a long ride and plan to need 10 bottles of my favorite hydration drink and my bike only holds 2 bottles, i will carry 8 ziploc bags with me each with the right amount of powder for one bottle. There's no problem getting water usually. The only times I'd want to actually buy something would be if it's super hot and I want a cold coke somewhere, or if i bonk on a ride. Happens maybe once a year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 No clue how this would work.

Currently I stash bottles and on super hot days a cooler with bottles in it. I pre-ride in the car and leave bottles at various points on hot days. Or, on runs plan my route and drop bottles in the car before I start. If there are convenient stores on the way, I just stop there- which is more often than me stashing bottles.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [Benv] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Benv wrote:

^^ I plan all my runs around 7/11s and Wawas

All I Wanted Was A Pepsi, Just One Pepsi

Team Zoot, Team Zoot Mid-Atlantic

Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Benv wrote:

There's a route on MapMyRike called "Ride of the Seven Wawas"

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1239408535

Many of these have been closed since it was created in 2016 and new ones have sprung up [with gas stations offering free air], so I'll be re-planning my own Tour Du Wawa for 2020

Route and sample bib to come sometime in the Spring

Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Billabong wrote:
Benv wrote:

There's a route on MapMyRike called "Ride of the Seven Wawas"

https://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1239408535

Many of these have been closed since it was created in 2016 and new ones have sprung up [with gas stations offering free air], so I'll be re-planning my own Tour Du Wawa for 2020

Route and sample bib to come sometime in the Spring

Much harder to do a ride like that up in North Jersey. I think I can hit 3-4 (Parsippany, Fairfield, Springfield (when it opens), and maybe Hackettstown).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ordered bottle service at the club a few times. Best part is when the models bring out your bottles with sparklers. After that, the value deteriorates.
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vanchize wrote:
Best part is when the models ...

You're being gracious by calling them "models"

On the other hand ... You know the old trope "I'm only doing this to pay for college?" When I was working at The Dolphin Club, I met a few girls who were doing just that; two were Engineering students at Drexel, one was studying Law at Temple and another was going for her Masters in English at Penn

The funny thing was that I didn't learn these details while they were between sets at the club, but from talking with them while we were running in Fairmount Park

So, ya never know

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
resistadj wrote:
If there was the equivalent of a food truck or hot-dog stand located along a popular cycling route to refill your water bottles with ice cold hydration mix:

1. would you use it?

3. What hydration drinks would you want stocked (scratch, gatorade, hammer, etc)?

1. Probably for long rides

2. Whatever

3. Gatorade sport bottles preferably

4. Pizza, crunchy things like Pringles and Cheese Its, Ice cream, candies, cookies like home baked choc chip or oatmeal raisin, Belgian waffles, pancakes or crepes, gels, coconut water, pretzels, trail mix, Coke, Red Bull, 5hr Energy, smoothies, brownies, whole milk, chocolate milk,

wishlist: NYC style bacon egg and cheese on a roll, philly cheesteaks, bacon cheeseburger sliders, Salmon bites, salads, chicken or egg salad on croissant, bagels with creme cheese and lox, gelato

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Last edited by: plant_based: Feb 26, 20 13:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
resistadj wrote:

1. would you use it?

probably not. back when I did 4-5 hour rides I'd just stop at a convenience store if needed. chances are this food truck / hot dog stand wouldn't be located at the location I needed it to be at anyway.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 26, 20 11:55
Quote Reply
Re: Bottle Service Poll [Billabong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billabong wrote:
Benv wrote:

Harry Styles likes Wawa

https://6abc.com/...in-delaware/5969058/

Virginia Plain probably knows exactly where this one is

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Flat Coke
Quote Reply