Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GONE4ARIDE wrote:
I made my own free-motion set-up on which I have been using my Trutrainer rollers for the past 9-10 years. It's simple to do and the reason I went this route is because the large internal flywheel on the Trutrainer creates an outstanding road-like feel.
Trutrainer now offers a "smart" option, but I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

Great idea. Can you post a photo, and maybe some guidance on how exactly you did this?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
altayloraus wrote:
Would heartily agree with the E-motion advice. I've got one and absolutely love the thing.
I might wish at times that it had the smart resistance, but it's not really a stress.

It's not too bad to train in an aero position either - but I notice you have to keep the cadence up a bit more to be stable (YMMV!)

The lack of being aero position is definitely a deal breaker for many triathletes like myself - one of the key features of the trainer for me is being able to hold that steady aero position for long periods of time - no breaks, no stops, just like race day. Helps me a lot.

If you ride in a road bike with compressed hip angle that is identical to your tri bike, then you don't need to ride in aerobars in training. You can literally transition in 2-3 rides. But the key is the compressed hip angle. When I ride my road bike on the rollers in the drops, its a much more compressed hip angle than on my tri bike and then when I get on the tri bike it feels like a beach cruiser.
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [zambony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zambony wrote:
I am currently using an Elite Arion mag exclusively for all my bike training, I am wondering if I should make the leap for “E-motion” models. My trainer is good for intervals (not great for sprints), I Zwift using power from my QUARQ.
2 things that lack my actual trainer
  1. Sprint resistance. If I set the resistance to the max (selectable), it is very unstable a low power/slow speed. I have to go off the bike to change resistance too…
  2. Very hard to get up. Doable, but so unnatural.

I was thinking of getting a Elite Nero/quick motion or inside ride.

If you get the Inside Ride rollers consider getting one of the fork stand attachments (blog post) if you are going to hope for a safe attempt at sprints. Or maybe it will go well for you without one. I don't think I would try it freestyle. :-) I've gone up to a hard surge at 700 watts using the fork stand it slammed very hard on the slide. I also had the rollers too close to the wall and when it slammed toward the back the rear tire put a groove in the drywall.

My perspective with a lot of hours of use it seems like a lot of money for the rollers if the goal is for sprints.
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update

As mentionned before, I went for a Elite quick motion
https://imgur.com/JBGYnGi
[url=https://imgur.com/JBGYnGi][/url]

I only used it briefly yesterday (just got it), but up front I don’t see a massive difference over the fixed version. Power wise they are very similar. I tried to get out of the saddle and it didn’t seems quite as akward, but definitely not like outside. I fear flying off the rollers and landing in the computer.

So first impression, better but not a game changer.
Last edited by: zambony: Mar 12, 20 8:39
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been riding outside the last few weeks as the weather has permitted. I went out today to do some VO2 max intervals either on flat roads or climbing. I was surprised how much less power I was able to make out in the real world as compared to riding on the rollers with no resistance. I think it is especially pronounced going uphills where you don't have that inertia from the flywheel when you hit a dead spot in your pedal stroke. I suspect a couple more weeks riding in the hills will help straighten that out but like I say I was a little bit surprised. Perhaps it would be better if I did some of my Swift racing and harder riding with the mag set to maybe one click of resistance so the wheel spins down a little bit quicker.
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Felt_Rider wrote:
zambony wrote:
I am currently using an Elite Arion mag exclusively for all my bike training, I am wondering if I should make the leap for “E-motion” models. My trainer is good for intervals (not great for sprints), I Zwift using power from my QUARQ.
  1. Sprint resistance. If I set the resistance to the max (selectable), it is very unstable a low power/slow speed. I have to go off the bike to change resistance too…

If you get the Inside Ride rollers consider getting one of the fork stand attachments (blog post) if you are going to hope for a safe attempt at sprints. Or maybe it will go well for you without one. I don't think I would try it freestyle. :-) I've gone up to a hard surge at 700 watts using the fork stand it slammed very hard on the slide. I also had the rollers too close to the wall and when it slammed toward the back the rear tire put a groove in the drywall.

My perspective with a lot of hours of use it seems like a lot of money for the rollers if the goal is for sprints.

Curious - can you do low-cadence / hi force work on the resistance rollers? Like riding 50 rpm, but at 250watts?

I've been doing a lot of that low-cadence work as per coach Matt Dixon's podcast recommendations, and it seems to be helping me - makes riding outdoors seem so easy since your legs are so used to getting punished, but wasn't sure if rollers can handle that kind of resistance curve.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely. I have the older manual resistance with 3 settings and I keep on the lowest setting and not even using the smallest cog at roughly 220 watts 70 rpm.

You might have to bump it to level 2, but I think you have plenty of growing room with another level and gearing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
zambony wrote:
Update

I only used it briefly yesterday (just got it), but up front I don’t see a massive difference over the fixed version. Power wise they are very similar. I tried to get out of the saddle and it didn’t seems quite as akward, but definitely not like outside. I fear flying off the rollers and landing in the computer.

So first impression, better but not a game changer.

You just bought the wrong one ;-) . Nothing dramatic, sell it and buy the InsideRide.
Oh! Build a cage around the rollers, just like in the cycling gyms. It prevents a lot of nasty falls, especially when you're doing very hard workouts and "lose it" for a second...

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Felt_Rider wrote:
zambony wrote:

Curious - can you do low-cadence / hi force work on the resistance rollers? Like riding 50 rpm, but at 250watts?

I've been doing a lot of that low-cadence work as per coach Matt Dixon's podcast recommendations, and it seems to be helping me - makes riding outdoors seem so easy since your legs are so used to getting punished, but wasn't sure if rollers can handle that kind of resistance curve.
With the resistance set at 2 (max), using 50-11 gears I can do 350W @ 50RPM. Plenty of resistance for me!! My T20 is 345W (on rollers).

I can do 700W sitting for short amount of time on the roller, but close to 45sec outside. And a lot more (+1200W) outside out of the saddle which I cannot reproduce on the rollers.
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GONE4ARIDE wrote:
I made my own free-motion set-up on which I have been using my Trutrainer rollers for the past 9-10 years. It's simple to do and the reason I went this route is because the large internal flywheel on the Trutrainer creates an outstanding road-like feel.
Trutrainer now offers a "smart" option, but I have not had the opportunity to try it yet.

It would be awesome to see your set up and some guidance on how you made this.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years have used :
- cheap rollers (2000ish years)
- Kreitler Challenge (2003 > 2007)
- TruTrainer (2007 > 2020) at home. Upgraded with the Smartload rear roller last year.
- Elite Quick-Motion (2016 > 2019) at the office
- Elite Nero (2019 < 2020) at the office

Got to ride E-Motion back in 2008 while in California after Sea Otter Classic.

In term of fore-aft float E-Motion is superior to Quick-Motion and Nero.

Rollers size and inertia are too very "bigger" deals IMHO. Bigger rollers and more inertia on TruTrainer makes having fore-aft movement "not absolutely necessary" on this product (disclaimer : I would not sprint at 1000+ watts but can easily climb for a minute at 350 watts if I feel like it, actually much much easier than on Elite Nero which has fore-aft movement but rollers are too small in diameter !). Mines are 13 years old and nothing come close.

During my lunch rides on week days I very often ride Nero at my office, it is a "smart" trainer, it has weight added to the rear rollers to create some kind of inertia and it is far better in that sense than the Quick-Motion. On that one on resistance 2 & 3 the dead spot feels bad because the roller has too much resistance and not enough inertia so you feel your pedals slowing down at dead spot !!! Nero is better but so far behind TruTrainer still.

I've wanted to create a floating plate to add fore-aft movement to my TruTrainer for a while but honestly it works so well without it that it's a project I've pushed to "later" for years now...

My souvenir of E-Motion (Us version) is good in term of "floating" but not in term of inertia. I would go TruTrainer anytime & if I had more time to build my plate then I would do it.

A couple of good resources to build a plate :

https://youtu.be/StcY7bG1xzs
https://youtu.be/bzTIFgI1fbE

Disclaimer : I work for LOOK and I'm in no way working for TruTrainer (paid a lot of money and shipping to France back in 2007 but never regreted it !)... just sharing my experience of different rollers....
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [pyf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting, thanks for the feedback. So far I haven’t fallen in love with the quick motion. I don’t dislike it, but I am unsure if it was worth the upgrade. The roller feeling is very closed to the Arion mag I had it replaces in most ways. If anything, the erratic movement I had were translated in lateral movement/instability and are now absorbed in forward/backward movement on the quick motion. On the minus side, the Quick motion has a central beam so cleaning is much more complex that the Arion as the sweat fall on it and not directly on the ground. The Arion was all plastic (no fear for corrosion), and other has a central aluminium beam.

Power and inertia wise, no issues while on the saddle. I leave it at the middle setting and I am comfortable doing sustained 500W or just cruising at 180W with my gearing (345w T20). Still haven’t tried to get out of the saddle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not specifically to you…

How do rollers compare to trainers like the Neo?

I have done 4Ish years of 400+ hours / year on my neo, wondering if I should give rollers a shot tho
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [mvenneta] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't kept the quick motion for long, a couple of months only. I replaced it with an inside ride roller and I am in love

Feels a lot more realistic, I suspect this is because of there is a lot more inertia in the drums
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you ever used one of the new / nice smart trainers?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Over the years, I have used just about every trainer combo. I have been using the Inside Ride Rollers with erg (was a beta tester for the original one) and the current version is the best experience ever. I also have the fork attachment. I don't think you could go wrong with this combo.
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dbeitel wrote:
Over the years, I have used just about every trainer combo. I have been using the Inside Ride Rollers with erg (was a beta tester for the original one) and the current version is the best experience ever. I also have the fork attachment. I don't think you could go wrong with this combo.

I think I would like that. I used the regular inside ride rollers for many Winters and really liked them. I have been using a wahoo smart trainer for the last couple of years and like that a lot but I think I would definitely enjoy having the ergometer feature along with the nice rollers
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [jroden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really get the best of all worlds !
Quote Reply
Re: E-motion (or other moving) rollers [Dbeitel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I don't have the connected version of the insideride, but I didn't wanted it. I prefer to get my power from my Quarq and keep the simplicity of changing my gears & cadence to change intensity. The only drawback I had was my bike was build as 1X and I didn't have the range I wanted + I had to go through the whole cassette when doing intervals. Now with 2X, no more problems.

I did bought the smart add on but I canceled my order shortly after.
I also have the fix front fork, but I never use it. I tried a few time doing all out 10s sprints... I still prefer without. The only reason I am not selling it is my GF might need it eventually.
Last edited by: zambony: Oct 31, 21 17:32
Quote Reply

Prev Next