Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

HR/Aerobic Max?
Quote | Reply
I read the article by Mark Allen in this month's Triathlete Magazine. He says that to find your aerobic max to take 180 and subtract your age. Then he has a few other things you can add or subtract from that number. He says it's not a good idea to consistently train above your aerobic max during base building. I'm in the base building phase for a marathon in June and then tri season afterwards. So I tried his formula today for my run. I had to go so slow I was practically walking. 6.22 miles in about 1:08:00. That is way slower than what I usually do on an easy day. Even that slow I was slightly above the number I got from his formula.

In his calculation - where does the 180 come from? In theory HR max is 220 minus a person's age but that isn't precise for all people. Are there other factors to consider in finding a more exact aerobic max?

I just want to be sure I'm getting the most benefit from my runs during base building but I have difficulty seeing how going this slow is of any benefit.

Don

Don

Tri-ing to have fun. Anything else is just a bonus!
Quote Reply
Re: HR/Aerobic Max? [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
With all due respect to Mark, that formula is completely bogus -- in the sense that it is the mid point on a bell curve. Any one of us has a very high probability of being significantly to one side or the other of that number. Naturally, I am a big fan of Mark the triathlete, but articles like that border on irresponsible and reckless.

If you want to nail down HR zones for training, read the proper chapter in Friel's Triathlete's Training Bible or go to www.gordoworld.com and read some articles on the "Tips" page. Gordo does a nice job of describing how to figure your base LSD heart rate zone without any fancy gear or tests.

Everyone is different, and there are no universal formulas for these things. There is only getting out there and figuring out your own training zones.
Quote Reply
Re: HR/Aerobic Max? [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"With all due respect to Mark, that formula is completely bogus"

That's kinda what I thought. I have been doing my easy runs in a zone that was developed for me based on my personal test results by CTS. I used CTS for marathon training a year ago and even though I didn't totally agree with their methodology I thought the HR training zones were sound. I don't go real fast in the easy zone as it is, but trying to use Mark Allen's formula was substantially slower. I just don't see how a mathmatical formula could apply to all people without factoring in more than age. In building my base this year I have been doing virtually no speedwork, just easy runs. Even at that I've noticed a speed improvement at the same HR from when I started. There have been a few runs where I'm going much faster for several miles and my HR doesn't elevate. It's my hope that over time these faster periods will lengthen. I probably won't start any speedwork until next month.

Don
Quote Reply