Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Goggles: what am I doing wrong
Quote | Reply
Leaking. Always leaking. Do I have a weird face or what. Are there any goggles out there that can be recommended?

TIA
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles: what am I doing wrong [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:
Leaking. Always leaking. Do I have a weird face or what. Are there any goggles out there that can be recommended?

TIA

Trial and error sometimes. I went through many different brands/styles to get what I needed. I now use Zone3 and love them, almost zero leakage issues.
Someone is bound to tell you to use Swedes.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I adjust the goggle width to make them feel slightly wide on my face. When I do that they don't leak, when I make them feel centered on my eye, they always leak.

Try different widths or maybe different goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What have you tried? Anytime that I have a new pair of leaky goggles, I look directly at the nose piece. Then the tension on the straps.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

Obviously everyone is different, but when I had the same issue as you, almost every goggle leaked and/or was uncomfy on the bridge of my nose, Aquasphere Kayenne goggles saved me. I've been using them for years now, and many folks I know use them as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not going to mention the greatest googles in the world, that would be too predictable of me.

Here's what you do though: look for goggles with a separate, interchangeable nose bridge. eg vanquishers, speed sockets, arena cobra, tyr tracers, or one of the other '1000's of styles. try them in the store, if you can get one eye to seal at a time just with the suction, i.e they should stay there with no strap, then they'll probably work for you. not all goggles work for everyone.

take them home. disassemble them. put both eye cups on your face so they stick there, then look in the mirror, take note of the distance between the eyecups. that is the nose bridge width you want. find that one in the pack, install, then finish assembling the goggles. you should have very little strap tension, you don't need the strap to make the seal, just hold the goggles in place.

I despise goggles that don't have a replaceable nose bridge.

edit: if you have a more pronounced nose, then you might need to try styles that have an arching nose bridge or a nose bridge that is higher on the goggles, eg Speedo Speed Sockets ($$) or Arena Cobra Ultra / Core. ($$$)

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Last edited by: JasoninHalifax: Feb 18, 20 6:10
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles: what am I doing wrong [JasoninHalifax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make sure they can suction to your face and stay on without the strap. If they don’t stick to your face, they don’t fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ahh, ol' dependable.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I purposely didn't mention them either :)
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles: what am I doing wrong [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the goggles that shall not be named....

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swam with Tyr Nest Pro Nanos for years thinking the small sizing was the best for my facial features (deep set eyes, narrow nose, high cheekbones). They would leak after a couple of months and badly. I had also tried Aquasphere and they were awful.

I got a $25 coupon from Roka last year and thought what the hell I'll try their F1's. It was the best money I never spent. They haven't leaked once in 6 months and the optics are excellent. They actually suction down as the workout gets longer. I highly recommend their goggles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure why J-inhalifax always mentions swedes.....this was him at our last practice right before he retched after the warmup...
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles: what am I doing wrong [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
Not sure why J-inhalifax always mentions swedes.....this was him at our last practice right before he retched after the warmup...

You bastard! You told me you were deleting that!!!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you -will do as you recommend
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sexy chest muff, I can never delete that!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

As mentioned, get ones with multiple nose bridge inserts so you can get the right width.

I can tell you the ones that work great for me, but they might not work for you (ex. Swedes just don’t work for me....sorry, Jason).

One option is The Magic5. They are custom goggles built off of a 3D scan of you face (via phone app). Pricey ($65), but if nothing else works.....

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Goggles: what am I doing wrong [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
Pmswanepoel wrote:

TIA

As mentioned, get ones with multiple nose bridge inserts so you can get the right width.

I can tell you the ones that work great for me, but they might not work for you (ex. Swedes just don’t work for me....sorry, Jason).

One option is The Magic5. They are custom goggles built off of a 3D scan of you face (via phone app). Pricey ($65), but if nothing else works.....

I haven’t mentioned the s-word even once in this thread!

Favourite Swim Sets:

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh I hear you.

To look at you wouldn't think I've a hideously deformed head / face, but as soon as I go shopping for bike helmets / goggles the truth hits home.

My challenge used to be that the ones that did stay sealed were the ones with the narrow gasket, small lens size and fitted into my sockets, but then they became uncomfortable above 45mins. Anything that tried going over the eyes wouldn't seal.

I am currently having some good success with some speedo Futara Biosphere Womens fit goggles. (I'm a 6ft 4 bloke). Not sure why they are defined as 'womens fit' but that seems to be narrow on the bridge and so I'm fine. Comfy and generally seal well.

When they don't seal well, it's because I've generally not centred them well, so the side that's too tight on the strap is pulled off to the side or there is too much tension on the straps (new cap, strap pulled when in bag, need to go get a haircut) or I've put them on slightly too high and the casket has caught my eyebrow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Magic 5.
Quote Reply