Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Waiting at the emergency vet [Yeeper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good to hear all is well.
Someone said it best dogs transcend all walks of life. I'm not sure if your vet told you about it or maybe it's at least something you'd be willing to talk to them about but as someone who has large breed dogs that are prone to bloat our vet always has us keep Gas-X on hand. At the first sign of any issue we hit them with a large dose and monitor if it goes beyond that straight to the vet.

Maybe it'll just be something you can have a conversation with your vet about. It doesn't sound like that was your dog's problem but that s*** can happen in a hurry and for no real reason.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good to hear that all is well.

I'll admit to purposefully not clicking on the thread the first time I read the subject. My St. Bernard had bloat a few years back. Found him laying in the backyard in pain. Carried him to the car, not an easy task, and from the car to the emergency vet office. He didn't make it, so I'm afraid to hear other stories of similar pet emergencies. It's something I avoid. But your thread kept popping back up, so I checked and am truly heartened that there was a good ending.

I'm sorry you had to go through this, as I truly understand the experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Waiting at the emergency vet [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Damn right shit can happen. Not a bad idea to have that conversation. I didn t think of gas x, but something so simple could be a fix or buy time for bloat.
Quote Reply
Re: Waiting at the emergency vet [AlanShearer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea I was trying not to overthink the whole situation while it was going on, but it just plain sucks. Felt better to create the thread.

Im sorry to hear about your St. Bernard. I've loved them ever since the Beethoven movie. We're big dog people, but it comes with its inherent pitfalls too. We dont deserve them.
Quote Reply
Re: Waiting at the emergency vet [gogogo!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gogogo! wrote:
glad to see he has recovered!

we had to deal with bloat twice. both times we recognized the symptoms right away and called the emergency hospital before we even took off.
first one, our dog was 12, she recovered slowly but had 2 more good years.
the other one had chronic digestive problems (irritable bowel) and then had bloat. he was 4. after the surgery we switched him first to canned food, and then to raw food. never had problems again.

Thats great actually! We keep a printout of the signs/stages of bloat on the fridge just in case. 14 years is a good life for a larger pup. So thats a good story. He gets Fromms in the am and all raw in the evening. I've also beeb reading more that bloat is a hereditary issue also. Some dogs will be more prone to it that others. Well regardless, not worth tempting fate. Still control when he eats/drinks and plays and digests.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes scary s***. It has saved our behind on several occasions and you really can't overdo it (again what are vet told us specifically) when it comes to how much you can give them. It would take some Ludacris dos to have side effects Bare inmind our dogs are a hundred and ten pounds but on one occasion we had to give upwards of eight pills. It did the trick and no side effects again in our specific situation.
Quote Reply
Re: Waiting at the emergency vet [rick_pcfl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rick_pcfl wrote:
Those Bernese Mountain Dogs are beautiful. They have the same endearing look that retrievers have.

For sure. Huge lovable furballs. My family is on our 5th Berner. Theyre amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Waiting at the emergency vet [Slug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slug wrote:
I too was scared to click on the thread because I know how much I love my two cats and how you must have been feeling. Pets hold a special place in our hearts and I'm glad your boy is back to normal. Gonna drag the string extra long tonight before bed and give my two some extra treats in celebration of yours braddah.

Cheers, man! We appreciate it. Give them some on me too :)
Quote Reply

Prev Next