Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Swim goggles anti-fog inserts
Quote | Reply
If this product gets good reviews and has good evidence of working as advertised, would you buy this?

https://fog-x.myshopify.com/
(Disclosure: I don’t have any connection to the product.)

I’m a lifelong competitive swimmer. I’ve had countless pairs of mostly inexpensive goggles. I’ve been in pools, OWS, and triathlons. I’ve never experienced too much of a problem with fogging in all these years, mostly because I use inexpensive goggles (Swedish, Hind Compy/Water Gear Competition I, Speedo Sprint) that I don’t mind replacing, and therefore are newish with less fogging potential. My AF practice involves putting dry goggles on a dry face, and licking the goggles if foggy.

Many adult swimmers and triathletes complain about fogging, and therefore spend way too much money buying new pairs that promise AF. Then they find out that the AF is temporary, and spend another large sum to buy more goggles.

If this product works, would you consider spending LESS on goggles? Would you buy inexpensive goggles, the ones worn by swimmers who log 40k + per week, instead of overspending?
Quote Reply
Re: Swim goggles anti-fog inserts [140triguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use 2 products that are cheap and work pretty well.

A) Baby Shampoo- I bought a travel sized bottle about 3 years ago. Still going strong.
B) Spit- Works less good than option A but is free and in seemingly endless supply.

With the efficacy of these 2, I'm not sure I can bring myself to purchase something else.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Swim goggles anti-fog inserts [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This product is not for me. I wear one or the other pair of Swedish goggles ($4 with a $3 bungee strap, no AF). I can tolerate some fog, because it’s inevitable, but if I need AF, I just lick-and-dunk, either at the end of the lane, or on my back in OWS.

I posted this mostly for the triathletes who seem to constantly complain about fog, and who look for the pricey solution in the way of new $30 goggles that promise AF. I hope that if they really think fogging is an issue, that this might be a viable solution, so that they can buy what “real” swimmers buy, namely goggles in the $7-15 range. But that would go against the Triathlete Commandment: “Thou shalt always spend more on the latest and greatest.”

Dilute baby shampoo or saliva work just as well. A bottle of baby shampoo can last a year or more, and saliva is free.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use regular hand / dish soap

Dab a small amount inside and smear around. I lightly wipe away excess. My goggles never fog... ever in any conditions under any circumstances
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No. I buy Quick Spit, and apply it the night before I go to the pool, or race. One bottle lasts about 2 years, and I’ve never had a fog issue, ever. I’m also still using the same pair of Speedo goggles I bought in 2016. They’ve lasted every training swim and every race with no issues, and I average 8- 9 hours in the pool a week. I guess I’m lucky, as I’ve had none of the goggle issues some of my friends have.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Swim goggles anti-fog inserts [Dean T] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same here. I’ve used quick spit for years.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ll never understand why there are so many complaints about foggy goggles when it’s such an easy thing to address. I use antifog spray; my wife uses baby shampoo. They both work and we’ve never had an issue with fogging.
Quote Reply
Re: Swim goggles anti-fog inserts [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:
I’ll never understand why there are so many complaints about foggy goggles when it’s such an easy thing to address. I use antifog spray; my wife uses baby shampoo. They both work and we’ve never had an issue with fogging.

I've tried it all and still haven't found a solution that works. Not sure if I have an extra warm noggin that causes the issue or what but for $7 I'm pretty much willing to give anything a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:

I almost have to wonder if there is a misconception of how to use the stuff. Its "wax on" and then leave it alone. Don't let any water get on it, or in your goggles, or its done. Put your goggles on a dry face. I shower before hitting the pool, and towel my face off before putting my goggles on. If I'm doing intervals, I don't raise my goggles between sets. I see folks putting the stuff on, and then wiping most of it off, and wonder why it doesn't work. I've seen folks put it on, and then dunk their goggles in the pool before putting them on, and then wonder why it doesn't work. I see folks do an interval, and then pull their goggles up onto a wet forehead or hair, and then wonder why it doesn't work. At IMAZ I put the stuff on my goggles the night before. I put them on my dry face and made sure they were sealed. The water temp was 64Âş and they were as clear getting out of the water, as they were going in.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your process also works even with goggles that don’t have anti-fog. $4-5 Swedish goggles, as bare-bones as anything, will stay fog-free when I put those on a dry face (I also shower and towel-dry my face before swimming). I don’t rub the inside lenses with my fingers. That reduces micro scratches that would increase fog. If those get scuffed, NBD at that kind of price.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
dktxracer wrote:

Yeah I use TYR anti-fog spray

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dean T wrote:
No. I buy Quick Spit, and apply it the night before I go to the pool, or race. One bottle lasts about 2 years, and I’ve never had a fog issue, ever. I’m also still using the same pair of Speedo goggles I bought in 2016. They’ve lasted every training swim and every race with no issues, and I average 8- 9 hours in the pool a week. I guess I’m lucky, as I’ve had none of the goggle issues some of my friends have.

This
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
140triguy wrote:
If this product gets good reviews and has good evidence of working as advertised, would you buy this?

https://fog-x.myshopify.com/
(Disclosure: I don’t have any connection to the product.)

I’m a lifelong competitive swimmer. I’ve had countless pairs of mostly inexpensive goggles. I’ve been in pools, OWS, and triathlons. I’ve never experienced too much of a problem with fogging in all these years, mostly because I use inexpensive goggles (Swedish, Hind Compy/Water Gear Competition I, Speedo Sprint) that I don’t mind replacing, and therefore are newish with less fogging potential. My AF practice involves putting dry goggles on a dry face, and licking the goggles if foggy.

Many adult swimmers and triathletes complain about fogging, and therefore spend way too much money buying new pairs that promise AF. Then they find out that the AF is temporary, and spend another large sum to buy more goggles.

If this product works, would you consider spending LESS on goggles? Would you buy inexpensive goggles, the ones worn by swimmers who log 40k + per week, instead of overspending?

For under $7, I just bought them and will let you know. After 60 years of swimming, I need less annoying things in my life ;-)

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Re: Swim goggles anti-fog inserts [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m sure you’re in agreement that any goggles are better than how you started swimming. I’m in my late 40’s, and part of the early group that started using goggles in the 1970’s. I still remember that there were swimmers who didn’t race with goggles in the late 70’s. You can probably tell story after story about burning eyes and halos.
Quote Reply