Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Resuming training after sickness, advise appreciated.
Quote | Reply
Currently recovering from a pnemonia. Didn't train much since begin of january because that 'nasty cold or flu' that i coudln't get ridd off. I figured taking some rest would help but it didn't. At some point i was having problems cycling 2km to work. I guess i waited much too long but this week i finally went to a doctor and am currently taking antibiotics and a spray. For now i need to be patient and rest untill i start to feel better, but then i will have to resume my training somehow. I dont really have exerience with being out of it like this so i guess id consult the collective wisdom of ST to helpme on my way. Any advice on how to best resume my training would be appreciated.

Some background:
I'm a 43 year old MOP triathlete. Started with cycling at age 14. Didn't do any sports for a couple years due to circumstance and then wanted to do something new and challenging. Wel.... Ive been a triathlete for about 4 years doing local Olys and sprints. As of 2019 i'm trying to work more with a structured training plan that i made myself based on 4 week blocks periodisation and my personal preferances and situation. I did 6 races in 2019. In september after some recovery i started a plan working toward my first 70.3 that will take place early may 2020. Then another 70.3 at the end of june and a handfull of 1/3, olys and a sprint in july-september. I was supposed to finish my base blocks and start my 2 4-week build blocks in 2 weeks from now... Being sick like this at this point is a real bummer for me. I hope i can stay motivated despite of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after sickness, advise appreciated. [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wait an amount of time until you think you feel all better, then double that. You have proven you are not a good judge of when to go back to training, and now know that you can make it worse, a lot worse..One word, patience..
Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after sickness, advise appreciated. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Monty, In many aspects of life I'm very patient but when it comes to training and recovery from sickness patience is indeed not always my strong suit. Not being able to go for a run or a swim is punishment for me right now. I will keep your advice in mind.

But then when i do feel well again, i'm thinking of doing all training less volume and intensity for a week, maybe two, and then - instead of picking up where i left off - just continuing the training plan where i should be by now. Build phase with more intensity stuff...
Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after sickness, advise appreciated. [Remco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Also a bad plan. You've lost weeks of training and fitness. It's going to take even more weeks to get back. Everyone is a little different, but my rough rule of thumb for myself is 2x the time off to get back on track. Further with a respiratory infection like the flu or pneumonia... There's an additional penalty of a couple easy recovery weeks just to shake off the after effects.

So, instead of trying to leap forward in your plan you need to look backwards and repeat the last 2x+2 weeks. Or something like that. Where x is the number of missed EFFECTIVE training weeks.
Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after sickness, advise appreciated. [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. This is usefull.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do not take pneumonia lightly. Had a bad case it in 2017, while I was building mileage for Boston in Canadian winter. I was out for two months completely from training and then it took many months before my lungs felt normal. As others have mentioned, half sick comebacks will only set you back even further in the long term (been there). Wait until you are good then rest even more and start again slowly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Take it easy and let your body heal without over stressing it by wasting energy on what it can used in the healing process. Listen to your as it is body is a good indicator and if you feel like going for a run then pick something reasonable and run that distance. Next time if you feel good run slightly longer same with biking and swimming. I find it is good mentally to feel you are progressing in some way. If the body tells you no then walk home, stop or shut it down. If you are absolutely shattered after a session rethink your plan, how often you train and time. When you are consistently training and have some level of fitness start a program and see how goes and build. While taking antibiotics your body is not going to be performing at an optimal level.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm just recovering from an unprovoked blood clot in my leg, part of it broke off and went to my lung. I only realized how bad things were when i couldn't finish the warm up on an easy Trainerroad workout. I took 3 total weeks off any activity and just looked after myself. Now i'm back on Sweet spot base training but I've started on the Low volume plan instead of Mid volume. I'm trying to be patient and come back slowly so i don't screw up the rest of the year's riding.

Good luck.

Quote Reply
Re: Resuming training after sickness, advise appreciated. [russ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you guys for sharing your experience. I'm definately taking it easy. No physical excersize whatsoever. I drove to work last week and also today and dropped the little one of by car aswell. Normally i do allmost everything by bike. We'll see how i recover.

I had a rough second half of 2019 and start of 2020. Some job uncertainty, stress and long hours. This probably didn't help my health either.

Good luck recovering to you aswell Russ.
Quote Reply