Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter
Quote | Reply
Finally rounded up an adapter and got the disc bike in my original kickr. As soon as I stop pedaling, the chain bunches up and slacks to the point of rattling across the lower stay. I’m certain I have the adapter installed correctly. What am I missing? FWIW, it doesn’t appear that the freewheel is working at all. When I spin the cranks, they just keep spinning in line with the cassette.

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check the cassette install if it is not freewheeling. There is probably a spacing issue where it is tightened too far. You may need a shim spacer or something assuming that cassette works fine on your bike. Look at the wheels you regularly use on the bike. I am assuming you are using shimano or sram 11spd? My kickr is a couple years old and only accepts 11spd cassettes.

For the slack likely also a spacing issue where the chain is too long on the kickr, but not on the regular bike. Look at the manual for your rear derailleur and it will tell you how many links should be in the chain based on the chainstay length or some measurements to use when in certain sprockets. It will also give you guidance for other adjustments on the derailleur such as the b screw to adjust the pulley to sprocket separation. For my kickr, I use a separate cassette and chain that I only use indoors on the trainer, but my trainer bike is not my primary bike, so no hassle with swapping back and forth.
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [trismitty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You've definitely messed up the install of the freehub somehow, likely a spacer missing, etc. Your freehub is basically bottomed out and won't spin freely.
Not sure how it differs with thru axle, but some of these youtube vids might help show you the different parts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJsnIVhICZA

That said, I thought the original kickr wasn't compatible with thru axles...
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Feb 16, 20 12:13
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thx. It's not, but wahoo sells an adapter kit. I haven't gotten around to checking the cassette yet, but that's my next move. I added the spacer when I installed the 10 speed cassette (was previously using an 11-speed on it).

Human Person
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen a manual for a rear derailleur that said anything about chain length.
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I have never seen a manual for a rear derailleur that said anything about chain length.

https://si.shimano.com/...DM-RD0003-09-ENG.pdf

Page 8
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Karl.

Every major brand has similar guidelines. Campy specifies the number of links or number of links to remove from a new chain based on chainstay length and sprocket size. I believe SRAM is similar as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Major chain slack with 2014 kickr and thru axle adapter [Karl.n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that manual says add two links like I always do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i would guess you overtightened the 17mm nut thing.
Quote Reply