Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Saddle Help
Quote | Reply
I am starting my second year in competing in triathlons and actual cycling training. Last year I competed with a road bike (cannondale caad12) using the drop bars. This year I am contemplating trying out some clip on aero bars for olympic distance. However I am having some difficulty in choosing a saddle (I know I need a new one, been getting some numbness with the stock saddle that came with the bike).

I know if I get aerobars I will have to change my position on the bike along with possibly getting a forward seatpost.

Is there a saddle that will allow me to be in the drops along with aero position on aerobars?
Is it even possible to have the bike setup for both those positions at once?
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Help [cjfoster25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you get a split-nose saddle (ISM, Mistica, Sitero, Cobb, Dash, etc.) you can ride them both on aero bars and on your drop bars (there will be a bit of compromise naturally).

Should be fine with the existing seatpost, since these saddles are traditionally positioned further back than a comparable standard saddle.

Some folks (not a ton) use these saddles even for dedicated road bikes (check out Phil Gaimon's Youtube videos). I have a Spech Power for the road, but an ISM for the trainer (since numbness is more of a problem on a stationary).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's far more knowledgeable folks on here than me re. Fit etc.
But some my sample of 1, my experience is similar to the previous post - I used a road bike + clip ons for the first 2 or 3 years.
As you said, I used a forward seat post (actually took Thompson 'layback' post and rotated in 180 degrees to kick forward).
And used a Cobb saddle ( Flow V initially for a year then a Flow Max for the couple of years after). Left it the same even if I took the clip ons off (eg for a sportive where they are frowned on). Did my 1st IM with the road bike + clip ons.
I still use a Cobb on the road bike now (and Sunday best MTB too).

One of my training buddies has Adamo saddles across all his bikes, road and TT. Says it's like sitting in a favourite arm chair.
Quote Reply
Re: Saddle Help [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Titanflexr wrote:
If you get a split-nose saddle (ISM, Mistica, Sitero, Cobb, Dash, etc.) you can ride them both on aero bars and on your drop bars (there will be a bit of compromise naturally).

Should be fine with the existing seatpost, since these saddles are traditionally positioned further back than a comparable standard saddle.

Some folks (not a ton) use these saddles even for dedicated road bikes (check out Phil Gaimon's Youtube videos). I have a Spech Power for the road, but an ISM for the trainer (since numbness is more of a problem on a stationary).

Great thanks!

I wonder if I'm getting numbers this year since I am using an indoor trainer. Had no numbness last year but I am getting it some this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cjfoster25 wrote:
Titanflexr wrote:

Great thanks!

I wonder if I'm getting numbers this year since I am using an indoor trainer. Had no numbness last year but I am getting it some this year

Riding an indoor trainer certainly can add to saddle discomfort as the bike doesn't rock back and forth as it does outdoors.

I find that there's a right saddle for a right position, and as your position changes your relationship to the saddle changes. For me, my saddle (Fizik Mistica) is more comfortable in the aero position than riding on the hoods, not to mention the saddle is "too high" when sitting on it how I sit on it riding on the hoods, but "just right" when in the aero position.

That said, a forward seatpost and good time trial saddle will make your road bike much more enjoyable for triathlon.

Eric

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply