Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gravel Cycling Shoes?
Quote | Reply
I feel like this is a dumb question but I have to ask as I have been seeing companies coming out with gravel specific cycling shoes.

How are these any different than Mtn biking shoes? I have a 10 year old pair of Shimano mtn biking shoes that work just fine. Is there any benefit or is this just a marketing sales pitch for us to buy the latest and greatest?
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [AndysStrongAle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From what I've seen, they are a lighter version of a typical MTB shoe, and styled to look a little more like a road shoe. A regular SPD MTB shoe has more padding and protection, and the tread/lugs on the sole are more aggressive which all adds bulk and weight. Definitely not needed, but might have a few bonus features over MTB shoes. Kind of like Tri shoes vs road shoes: do triathletes need them? no, but some might prefer them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
AndysStrongAle wrote:
I feel like this is a dumb question but I have to ask as I have been seeing companies coming out with gravel specific cycling shoes.

How are these any different than Mtn biking shoes? I have a 10 year old pair of Shimano mtn biking shoes that work just fine. Is there any benefit or is this just a marketing sales pitch for us to buy the latest and greatest?

It's not a dumb question. There is a bit of a difference, but the difference isn't huge. Shimano's RX8 immediately comes to mind as a gravel-specific shoe that gets good reviews. It's got a lot less rubber on the sole than the XC9 S-Phyre and it lacks toe spike mounts.

But yes, regular XC MTB shoes will work just fine. Heck, not all gravel races really need you to dismount, so you could just as easily go in with road shoes if you know you won't be walking through mud or water.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've seen a few things:
1) Shimano RX8 - quicker to dry than the XC9
2) Some are easier to walk in
3) Smaller tread may be easier to get toe covers over
4) General name easier to search for on the internet than XC
5) Styling
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [weiwentg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m thinking of buying the Shimano RX8 shoes based on a review I read and, when I did a search of the forums, I found this thread. Would love to hear some feedback if anyone has personal experience with these gravel shoes? Specifically, having never owned Shimano shoes, is their sizing fairly consistent with most other brands?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure if they are really all that different.

The RX8 gets tossed around a lot as an example of a 'gravel' shoe. I have both the XC7 and the RX8. The RX8 is noticeably lighter and doesn't have studs to put spikes in. The BOA system is slightly difference since it covers the top and middle of the shoe. The lower boa dial of the XC7 is a bit of a goofy setup. I'm sure some people would find one more comfortable than the other, but I don't have enough miles on either one to know if I have a preference. Looking back, I think I should have just gotten just the mtb shoes because I need mtb shoes and tend to use my road shoes for any gravel that I know won't involve hiking. The RX8s would pass as mtb shoes if you don't need toe spikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [sake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the RX8 shoes, wide 44. I am not a great person to provide a comparison to other brands as my other shoes are Shimano RC7, XC7 and RC9 (Sphyre), all 44 wide. However I can tell you how they compare to the rest of the Shimano Line:

1. Upper material seems better than the level 7 shoes. Those tend to give/loosen after 5-10 minutes of riding and I have to tighten more. The RX8 (and RC9) do not give.
2. The single BOA on the RX8 is the nicer one that can be dialed back without popping up, which is nice.
3. They are definitely lighter than the XC7 shoes, and stiffer. Stiffer than the RC7s too (some of that may be due to the uppers as well as sole).
4. The tread is adequate for stepping down onto rough surfaces, but if there was a hike-a-bike over much distance or scrambling on rock, I'd prefer the sole of a MTB shoe (I have also heard the RX8 sole isn't as durable as the mountain shoes for prolonged walking).
5. I sometimes have numbness issues in the RC9 - possibly due to shape and/or being quite stiff and/or cleat position. I don't have that issue with these. So for longer/more casual road riding I might prefer these (and I'm often on my gravel bike anyway). For speed though on the road bike I like the RC9 (plus road pedals).

I am thinking about a pair of the XC9 shoes for XC/marathon racing (if racing resumes), want something lighter than XC7s but tougher for scrambling on tough trails than the RX8s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My last 3 rides with XC7 have been terrible, so much so I dont want to wear them anymore. I dug out some Giro VR90s and will try those next. The XC7s have been killing the tips of toes, they have been numb all week, kind of like when they fall asleep due to lack of circulation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I wear Bont Vapor S road shoes. They also make a shoe called the Vapor G. It is basically the same as the road shoe with some tread added to the bottom.
It is excellent- looks and feels exactly like the road shoes that I love!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:
My last 3 rides with XC7 have been terrible, so much so I dont want to wear them anymore. I dug out some Giro VR90s and will try those next. The XC7s have been killing the tips of toes, they have been numb all week, kind of like when they fall asleep due to lack of circulation.

Road bike today and giro techlace pro lights (my go to shoe) feet normal. I will be offing the the XC7, got no time for hurt feet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
they are pretty much paired down mtb shoes (less tread on bottom, no spike options), lighter weight
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [KKG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
KKG wrote:

I just got the RX8. I had the XC9 and older the XC61. I had to size up because the curve on the pinky toe area was too aggressive; neither the 45 or 45w fit me, had to go 46.
Otherwise the heel fits much nicer on the Rx8 than the XC9, which allow heel movement to walk. The Rx8 have a narrow thread area, so the shoes are a bit tippy l/r to walk in.The RX8 also feel more solid overall.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've a pair of Fizik F5 terra.

I like them cause they are fine as road shoes but have enough tread that they can get through some walking sections and foot down sections of trails. Most of my rides are 50 50 road and trail.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
2nd the Bont Vaypor G. Lie a road shoe on the dirt. So stiff, I never feel like I’m at a loss powerwise compared to my Bont road shoes. In fact I could see running spd on all my bikes. Easier for the coffee shop too
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chiming in from the perspective of a brand.

We're releasing a gravel show in the fall for the 2021 model year.
https://theradavist.com/...-at-their-new-shoes/

Our development of this product was completely different from the mountain bike perspective and we had different goals that we were trying to achieve. In the beginning I wrote it off as nothing a mountain bike shoe couldn't do and while this is true, these gravel specific shoes do some things much better.

In general, as compared to mountain bike shoes:

Plates tend to be both stiffer and lighter: This is both due to materials but also less protective elements as we assume you are not scrambling over (many) rocks and we also figure that riders want an option prioritizing weight and power transfer.

Rubber Compounds: Tend to be lighter, firmer for better power transmission, but less grippy: Again, we assume that you are not hiking a section of trail too steep to pedal up.

Uppers: Tend to be lighter, less protective and more supple. As you're less likely to be scraping along a rock wall or cactus or tree, we can make uppers that conform to your foot better and offer all-day comfort from both a fit and breathability stand point.

I've been living in our upcoming gravel shoe for almost a year. What I original wrote-off as an unneeded product has become the solution I reach for the majority of the time. (Granted I tend to ride my Aspero on road / trail more than my other bikes)

We understand that not everyone needs / sees the need for a shoe of this nature, but that is why it is a part of a well-rounded product line up. If you want something more burly, there are plenty of great mountain bike shoes. Less burly than there are many great road options. However, there is a legitimate lull between those ends of the spectrum that a "gravel" shoe fills well.

Our job is to try to understand and predict what consumers are going to be looking for, knowing the consumer has the power to buy, or not buy, product as they see fit.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jun 5, 20 7:43
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are wide feet people doing? Ordered a pair of rx8 wide and not even close to wide enough. Nice shoe tho!
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have fairly wide feet, and ordered a standard bont mtb riot+. I *love* these shoes for gravel, and I bet the wide version would do well for wider feet.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
Chiming in from the perspective of a brand.

We're releasing a gravel show in the fall for the 2021 model year.
https://theradavist.com/...-at-their-new-shoes/

Our development of this product was completely different from the mountain bike perspective and we had different goals that we were trying to achieve. In the beginning I wrote it off as nothing a mountain bike shoe couldn't do and while this is true, these gravel specific shoes do some things much better.

In general, as compared to mountain bike shoes:

Plates tend to be both stiffer and lighter: This is both due to materials but also less protective elements as we assume you are not scrambling over (many) rocks and we also figure that riders want an option prioritizing weight and power transfer.

Rubber Compounds: Tend to be lighter, firmer for better power transmission, but less grippy: Again, we assume that you are not hiking a section of trail too steep to pedal up.

Uppers: Tend to be lighter, less protective and more supple. As you're less likely to be scraping along a rock wall or cactus or tree, we can make uppers that conform to your foot better and offer all-day comfort from both a fit and breathability stand point.

I've been living in our upcoming gravel shoe for almost a year. What I original wrote-off as an unneeded product has become the solution I reach for the majority of the time. (Granted I tend to ride my Aspero on road / trail more than my other bikes)

We understand that not everyone needs / sees the need for a shoe of this nature, but that is why it is a part of a well-rounded product line up. If you want something more burly, there are plenty of great mountain bike shoes. Less burly than there are many great road options. However, there is a legitimate lull between those ends of the spectrum that a "gravel" shoe fills well.

Our job is to try to understand and predict what consumers are going to be looking for, knowing the consumer has the power to buy, or not buy, product as they see fit.

hey there
the shoes in the linked article look cool. i can't tell if they are available on the PI site.

did this:
Gravel X SPD

become this:
X-Alp Gravel

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a roadie who just bought a gravel bike, I just went through the selection process between a gravel shoe and an XC mtb shoe.

The first shoe I went for was the RX8, but in the end settled on the XC7. Why?

The RX8 is a nice shoe. As others have mentioned, it is stripped down compared to an mtb shoe. The carbon sole is exposed in a lot of places to save weight and the sole rubber is harder for better power transfer. If your gravel rides are flat or you ride a lot of mixed pavement and gravel, this might not be a big deal. But my local gravel roads have some steep and sustained sections with patches of rougher, chunky gravel. Some hike-a-bike is inevitable, and I found the rocks quickly chewed up the exposed carbon sole. After a 100 miles of riding I found there was a lot of unacceptable wear on the shoes.

I swapped for the XC7 and am much happier. The sole is completely covered with softer rubber so I think they will last much longer, and they walk WAY better. They are a little less stiff compared to the RX8, but I feel that makes them more comfortable when riding bumpy surfaces, and power transfer is still adequate. Plus they come with a double boa instead of a single like on the RX8, which for me creates a better fit.

Overall, the RX8 is a great shoe if you want a efficient feeling 2 bolt shoe for mostly road riding and a some gravel without much walking. It feels very familiar if you are used to road shoes. But if you want a shoe that can handle some more adventurous gravel rides then check out the XC7.
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Gravel X and the X-Alp gravel will both exist as two different options.

Gravel X: Carbon Plate, Stiffer, Lighter, Knit upper. (Higher Price)
X-Alp Gravel: Nylon Plate, flexible toe for walkability, heavier. (Lower Price)

The Gravel X is a Spring '21 style that is early launch in August 2020.

*edit for specific launch date

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Last edited by: xtrpickels: Jul 17, 20 12:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good info! Thanks! I have not seen this thread for a while.

Just to correct myself I got 10 year old PIs not Shimanos like i said. Good product!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sweet. thanks. gotta get the 2021; everything sucks in 2020
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [Jnags7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lake MX238 Wide: 114mm wide at the ball for the 44EU

Lake MX332 Wide: 107.8mm wide at the ball for the 44EU

https://lakecycling.com/pages/sizing-charts

Anne Barnes
ABBikefit, Ltd
FIST/SICI/FIST DOWN DEEP
X/Y Coordinator
abbikefit@gmail.com
Last edited by: ABarnes: Jul 17, 20 14:01
Quote Reply
Re: Gravel Cycling Shoes? [ABarnes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I ended up going custom 44.5DW Bont’s which are 118wide :)
Quote Reply