Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hereby invoke the Carter Principle for effect.

It is simple, common courtesy. There is no reason to fight over it. Just put "spoiler" in the heading, and get over your bad self, already.

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [triathlete37] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Geez, I won't be able to function the rest of the day knowing the downhill results, how will life go on... "

Exactly! Boo hoo. Are these people saying they can't watch something if they already know the results? I guess none of them watch IMH on NBC then do they?

NBC shows so little of the actual events anyway. What's the big deal? How many of the downhill racers did they show? Maybe a dozen out of the 50-60 that raced. I think showing all the athletes in any given event would give the viewer a better understanding of how good the top people are.

Take the snowboarding. They only show a few of the top people and most of them perform similarly. However, if they showed the rest of the field it would be very clear how good the top people are. Same thing with many of the events.

I actually prefer to know the results ahead of time. That way I'm not forced to waste and entire evening trying to watch the competition that NBC only shows a bit of before switching to something else. They switch back and forth between mulitple events constantly in order to keep people glued to the TV so they won't miss the few minutes when something important actually happens in the sport they're interested in. Last night while they were showing the pairs figure skating I watched skating with celebrities, then switched back to see the snowboarding and speedskating because I already knew the Americans won those events.

Don
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [Tri2HaveFun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are these people saying they can't watch something if they already know the results?

Why is this so hard to comprehend? Yes, it seriously diminishes the enjoyment of watching it on TV later.

I actually prefer to know the results ahead of time

And you need to get said results in the headers of slowtwitch.com threads? Are you too stupid to go to http://www.nbcolympics.com/index.html ?

Are these people saying they can't watch something if they already know the results?

Why is this so hard to comprehend? Yes, it seriously diminishes the enjoyment of watching it on TV later.

As I said, I guess none of you watch IMH on NBC then do you? It can't possibly be enjoyable when you already know the results. I'm sure none of you watch any of the other tris on TV either, as they are all shown well after the event.

I actually prefer to know the results ahead of time

And you need to get said results in the headers of slowtwitch.com threads? Are you too stupid to go to:

I don't rely on ST for the results. Whatever gave you that idea?
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [jhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sorry Ryan, but that is utter bullshit. It is not hard to refrain from posting spoiler results in the topic title. It is not hard to add "spoiler" to a topic title when you want to talk about results that haven't been aired yet. Period. These are very easy things to do out of common courtesy and because the site owner has said so.

Not in my view (i.e., utter BS).

I stated that I have no problem with putting "spoiler" in the title out of respect for others. As you stated, "it's easy to do". I agree. It's easy and it's polite. A simple solution all the way around. Why people don't do it ... I don't know. That wasn't what I was getting at.

I almost always look at situations and see [1] what I can control, and [2] what I can't (in my profession, that's essential). I can't control whether or not other people put "spolier" in the thread of a title or not. I can control where I look and where I "click". That's all I am basically getting at. So, when it comes to things I cannot control (i.e., what others do), I can try to induce a little influence to get them changed ... but once it's obvious it isn't going to happen, then I'm just wasting time complaining about things I cannot control. The rest of scoeity folds for no man .... well, except for Chuck Norris. =)

All in all, I think we're DRASTICALLY over-estimating the importance/value of the winter olympics on society and even sports fans in general. At this site, how many folks have had an event or the olympics ruined for them b/c of a non-spoiler thread title? I'm trying to get a feel if this is just an impolite inconvenience or if this is a major offensive act? It seems minor to me.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As I said, I guess none of you watch IMH on NBC then do you?

I dont, but that's a dumb argument anyway. Let's say you have a buddy who you know is taping the game, yet you feel compelled to tell him the final score anyway. Do you think you could use your "well don't you watch IMH on NBC" line as an excuse? Is it really that hard for you to comprehend that some people dont want to know the outcome when they watch a sporting event? Really?

Then why do you and others post stuff like "I prefer to see the results" as if it justifies posting spoilers on ST? People who want to know the results ahead of time have many oppotunities to do so without ruining it for people who don't want to know.

I agree. It's easy and it's polite.

OK. Your way of phrasing it ("doing backflips") seemed to imply otherwise. I just dont like the assertion (and maybe you weren't making it but other have) that simple things like not posting results in subject headers are hard things to do.

but once it's obvious it isn't going to happen, then I'm just wasting time complaining about things I cannot control.

I see your point. I just have a real problem with people deliberately being dicks just because they know they can get away with it.

All in all, I think we're DRASTICALLY over-estimating the importance/value of the winter olympics on society and even sports fans in general. At this site, how many folks have had an event or the olympics ruined for them b/c of a non-spoiler thread title? I'm trying to get a feel if this is just an impolite inconvenience or if this is a major offensive act? It seems minor to me

What may seem minor to you may not be so minor to someone else. The fact that this comes up every TdF and Olympics shows that it's pretty important to some people. If you had taped game 7 and I knew you wanted to watch it without knowing the outcome but I still told you the score, and then told you to get over it beause it's not that big a deal, and then called you a bitch for complaining, wouldn't you get more than a little pissed at me? 10 years ago you'd probably would have clocked me ;)

As I said, I guess none of you watch IMH on NBC then do you?

I dont, but that's a dumb argument anyway. Let's say you have a buddy who you know is taping the game, yet you feel compelled to tell him the final score anyway. Do you think you could use your "well don't you watch IMH on NBC" line as an excuse? Is it really that hard for you to comprehend that some people dont want to know the outcome when they watch a sporting event? Really?

I don't think I would purposely tell my buddy the final score, but I also wouldn't refrain from telling it to others and if my buddy didn't want to know he should not go to places where he may overhear it. For example if a game my buddy is taping happens early in the day and he goes out for a drink at the local sports bar, he shouldn't expect that everyone is going to keep quite just so he won't hear the results. Same here. People know that results may be posted and discussed so if they don't want to know, don't come here. It isn't like anything discussed on this forum needs to be seen immediately. All the threads will still be here tomorrow.

Then why do you and others post stuff like "I prefer to see the results" as if it justifies posting spoilers on ST? People who want to know the results ahead of time have many oppotunities to do so without ruining it for people who don't want to know.

Because it doesn't make a damn bit of difference whether I know the results or not. If it's something I want to see, I'll watch it. People who don't want to know the results have the ability to not come here or anywhere else where they may be discussed in advance.

Don
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think I would purposely tell my buddy the final score

That's good - there have been spoiler threads started here with the sole purpose to piss people off.

For example if a game my buddy is taping happens early in the day and he goes out for a drink at the local sports bar, he shouldn't expect that everyone is going to keep quite just so he won't hear the results.

First of all, most sports bars I've been to don't have a no spoiler policy. This site does. Second, nobody says you can't discuss results as they happen here. You just can't post the result in the subject line, and if the thread contains spolier info it should be labeled as such. As I keep saying, these are very simple and reasonable requests and in no way interefere with the ability of people to discuss the results.

People who don't want to know the results have the ability to not come here or anywhere else where they may be discussed in advance.

And slowman has the ability to say "don't post spoiler results". That's the policy, not "don't log onto ST during the entire Olympics/Tour if you dont want to see the results posted". You're going to have to accept that.

OK. Your way of phrasing it ("doing backflips") seemed to imply otherwise.

People are acting like that's what's being asked of them. For some people, asking them to be polite is asking them to do backflips ... hence, the word usage.

What may seem minor to you may not be so minor to someone else. The fact that this comes up every TdF and Olympics shows that it's pretty important to some people. If you had taped game 7 and I knew you wanted to watch it without knowing the outcome but I still told you the score,

Certainly, the importance varies from person to person. IMO, it still comes down to an either or situation, a person can [1] get the rest of the ST members to always post SPOILER in the title, or [2] they can avoid ST until they are able to watch the show that is important to me. Experience tells me that only one of those situations is likely to work. While we can discuss what SHOULD happen, or what the RIGHT thing to do would be ... in the end, we really just want to know what will work.

Now, If it's game 7 between the Cards and the Yanks (i.e., very important to me), and I've taped it to watch later ... I avoid everybody. I'll put my fingers in my ears and close my eyes and walk around saying "La la la la la la" if I have to. I have friends whose sole purpose seems to be to describe the best parts of all the movies on my "to see" list. =) "Oh, you haven't seen transporter 2 yet? It's cool, there's this part where he makes a jump and ..."

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

While we can discuss what SHOULD happen, or what the RIGHT thing to do would be ... in the end, we really just want to know what will work

In Reply To:
Did you know that on other message boards people get banned for posting results in thread titles? How hard is it to be respectfull of others who may not have had the opportunity to see the event when you did? Maybe the person or people were working or went to church, or their kids event or were training. It's about being respectful to others and not being an asshole.

What if you didn't see the event BUT -- just about every single webpage you go to has it splashed as a headline???

MSN, ESPN, Fox, CBC, BBC, Comcast, Newspapers ????

Is it safe to assume it is now common knowledge and can be discussed??
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [Sparticus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What if you didn't see the event BUT -- just about every single webpage you go to has it splashed as a headline???

Oh , shut the hell up already. What a bunch of freaking babies. "But I don't wanna put "SPOILER" in my title! You're just going to watch the event anyway, and then you'll know, so why should I have to inconvenience myself by typing in seven whole letters?!"

What gives? Why the heartburn? Why can't you just show some common courtesy, and accomodate a simple request? Does it cost you money, or something?

"People think it must be fun to be a super genius, but they don't realize how hard it is to put up with all the idiots in the world."
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so why should I have to inconvenience myself by typing in seven whole letters?

Maybe it's the set of quotation marks in ADDITION to the seven whole letters that is causing such distress?

You sir, are my new hero! - Trifan 11/13/2008

Casey, you are a wise man - blueraider_mike 11/13/2008

Casey, This is an astute observation. - Slowbern 11/17/2008
Quote Reply
Re: On Bode and Spoilers [Casey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's probably as good a reason as any. I certainly can't see any better reason why someone would find it so burdensome to avoid giving away results of an event. It isn't as if anyone is asking anyone not to talk about it at all.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spoilers -- do not go to these websites

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9134568/

http://msn.foxsports.com/

http://espn.go.com/

In fact, avoid any website that put on the news -- AOL, Comcast, etc. etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Spoilers -- do not go to these websites

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9134568/

http://msn.foxsports.com/

http://espn.go.com/

In fact, avoid any website that put on the news -- AOL, Comcast, etc. etc.
No shit Sherlock. Slowtwitch is not a news site.

Eat shit and Die Fucktard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Eat shit and Die Fucktard.
Cool, I needed a new signature. You might want to review rules for capitalization though...

Cool -- but you should make the letters red -- since it is Valentine's and all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You got it.

I eagerly await your explanation of why it's so important to post the results in the title, when you know a lot of people will be watching the event later. I guess the rules of the forum and simple courtesy represent an egregious violation of your right to free speech, or something, huh?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know you're not talking to me.

Prev Next