Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IM Santa Rosa [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Karl ... Up until 2017 Santa Rosa had almost no impact on the race other than folks staying in hotels or eating there. Since 2017 Santa Rosa managed multiple day expos and events downtown so it's taken on a different look (previous to that everything was in Windsor) Therefore, impossible to compare 2016 and earlier vs 2017 until ... essentially two completely different races with the exception of some common roads on the bike course,

But, YES, we do have a lot on our plate here and since the fires in 2017 the community has been stretched thin. That said there are other items that can be ironed out for the 70.3 and with the hopes the Ironman would come back at some point. Thanks for supporting the race over the years

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, do you think they will keep the half in May or move it back to July after this year?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My guess is it will stay in May

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh! Bummer that this is the last year in Sunriver! Guess I better sign up - it's such a great venue.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [TriSpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:
I don't think Folsom or Rocklin per se can afford the what might normally be needed to bring a race of that caliber to their town ??? (or maybe Folsom does?)

That said, Folsom has the swim venue (I think Natoma is the most consistent venue) and Folsom has a fantastic trail network for the run course.

We are seeing more races like Louisville, Chattanooga, Tulsa that are taking part partially in Metro areas (River Swims) with bike rides outside that area. Sacramento falls in that category, has a river, has a river trail(?) to run, and the Old Historic area is pretty cool for a finish?. In some ways SAC reminds me of Tulsa (though I like Tulsa area better) All that said, I do not know the details if the river has good entry / exit point with access to a transition area. Maybe Discovery Park (T1) & American River (swim) fit that need? (I have not been there for years) ... with a T2 somewhere else? Potentially an option for swim / T1 @ Natoma and T2 in Sac?

So, SAC does check a lot of boxes for most things (including hotel rooms, resources, venues etc.) '

Mammoth Lakes.

Has the infrastructure to support thousands of visitors at any given time.

lots of lakes

hundreds of miles of smaller roads so locals wont be inconvienced.

hundreds of miles of trail for the run.

restaurants galore.

already a tourist destination.

JUST MAKE IT HAPPEN DAVE!!!!

And ONLY a 4-5hr drive from LA! No f-ing way does Mammoth happen. They'll be back in Tahoe before Mammoth even makes it as a recommendation.

And restaurants galore....?!?!?!? I love me some Mammoth, but the dinning scene in Mammoth is pure shit

Tahoe is a LONGER drive from LA, so your first point?

Also there are flights to mammoth.

A MDOT event attracts what, 6000? athletes and family members?

Per mammoth, there are an average of 7000 lift tickets sold per day during ski season, so figure that represents at least 10k visitors to mammoth lakes. All those people are eating at restaurants etc.

And yes, I know it's not perfect, but a guy can dream, right?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [davejustdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davejustdave wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:
I don't think Folsom or Rocklin per se can afford the what might normally be needed to bring a race of that caliber to their town ??? (or maybe Folsom does?)

That said, Folsom has the swim venue (I think Natoma is the most consistent venue) and Folsom has a fantastic trail network for the run course.

We are seeing more races like Louisville, Chattanooga, Tulsa that are taking part partially in Metro areas (River Swims) with bike rides outside that area. Sacramento falls in that category, has a river, has a river trail(?) to run, and the Old Historic area is pretty cool for a finish?. In some ways SAC reminds me of Tulsa (though I like Tulsa area better) All that said, I do not know the details if the river has good entry / exit point with access to a transition area. Maybe Discovery Park (T1) & American River (swim) fit that need? (I have not been there for years) ... with a T2 somewhere else? Potentially an option for swim / T1 @ Natoma and T2 in Sac?

So, SAC does check a lot of boxes for most things (including hotel rooms, resources, venues etc.) '

Mammoth Lakes.

lots of lakes

restaurants galore.

And ONLY a 4-5hr drive from LA! No f-ing way does Mammoth happen. They'll be back in Tahoe before Mammoth even makes it as a recommendation.

And restaurants galore....?!?!?!? I love me some Mammoth, but the dinning scene in Mammoth is pure shit

Per mammoth, there are an average of 7000 lift tickets sold per day during ski season, so figure that represents at least 10k visitors to mammoth lakes. All those people are eating at restaurants etc.

I’m not arguing the Mammoth/Tahoe drive from LA. Rather the ease of getting to Tahoe over Mammoth for the general public.

I actually like the Mammoth drive from LA (once you get into the 395) and my family has a house in Truckee, so I am very familiar with Tahoe as well. Mammoth is just not all that accessible for people outside of CA in particular SoCal. Of course Mammoth draws in the winter, fun fact the busiest month up there is August.
That being said, very very limited lodgings (aside from dumpy 70’s ski condos) and even slimmer pickings food wise, a IM in Mammoth will never happen.

Come to think of it, did I hear the June Lake Triathlon was cancelled too...?

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
It has very few hotels. The nearest airport that can land jets is about 4 hours away. It has very few roads in good condition outside of the main highway. Altitude will be killer.

Don't see it.[/quote]
Not to beat a dead horse here, but there is a Mammoth airport (United, Alaska, JetSuiteX, maybe another...?) about 10 mins from town. Still, Mammoth won't even make a list

LA resident here, I'm thinking NorCal too and I would 100% be on board for a Sacramento area race.[/quote]
yep

United has daily flights to mammoth..

as far as lack of hotels????

the town hosts 15000+++ visitors every single day.... most don't live there...

My whole point is that towns like folsom, SR, etc are not tourist destinations. Mammoth was literally built to be a tourist destination.. during the winter.

It's not like that infrastructure goes away, and the town LOVES dollars in the off season.

I mean, Whistler is a great venue in a very similar town..

The comment Dave made was that there aren't many places in Ca that LIKE tourists, have good bodies of water, and small roads so the locals won't be inconvenienced.

Mammoth ticks all those boxes.

If the time frame is the same as SR this year (july) the weather would be perfect too.

you're right though: it probably won't even make any lists, but that's a damn shame. It has everything needed to be an absolute crusher of a course in a breathtaking place.

and yeah, I'm a full on eastern Sierra homer, so I'm biased. I'll freely admit that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TriSpencer wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
TriSpencer wrote:
davejustdave wrote:
Dave Latourette wrote:

Mammoth Lakes.

lots of lakes

restaurants galore.

I’m not arguing the Mammoth/Tahoe drive from LA. Rather the ease of getting to Tahoe over Mammoth for the general public.

I actually like the Mammoth drive from LA (once you get into the 395) and my family has a house in Truckee, so I am very familiar with Tahoe as well. Mammoth is just not all that accessible for people outside of CA in particular SoCal. Of course Mammoth draws in the winter, fun fact the busiest month up there is August.
That being said, very very limited lodgings (aside from dumpy 70’s ski condos) and even slimmer pickings food wise, a IM in Mammoth will never happen.

Come to think of it, did I hear the June Lake Triathlon was cancelled too...?

Yeah, after 13 years. Total bummer.

Another reason I wish MDOT would hold an event up there
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [OtterJohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We put on one in Folsom years ago called Caliman.....The city of folsom was a pain to work with and really didn't understand the benefit..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Any race I can flyfish the next day is a good one.

I did some IM Canada training there two years ago, the roads are all actually very good and you can make a killer route with tons of climbs. Run down out of town to somewhere on Benton Crossing Road and return up the hill! Folks would be crushed. LOL
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just noticed on their website, "look for a new race in 2023."
man, that seems like a ways out to be planning something new and not being able to do it in 2021 or 2022 even.
odd.....
Quote Reply
Re: IM Santa Rosa [Blainyboy8] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Blainyboy8 wrote:
I just noticed on their website, "look for a new race in 2023."
man, that seems like a ways out to be planning something new and not being able to do it in 2021 or 2022 even.
odd.....

Where'd you see that?

If the IMSR replacement isn't till 2023, that would suck.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Tough Times Don't Last, Tough People Do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sorry should have been more clear. that was in response to the post talking about June Lake Tri being canceled.
Quote Reply

Prev Next