Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peroneal pain
Quote | Reply
Recently returned to running after a long time due to injury. Running in zero drop Altras has allowed me to run again. However, I have gotten bad cases of peroneal tendinitis in both feet. Seeing a doc but wanted to see if anyone has found long term solution to this - thinking maybe running with compression socks could help? Have read mixed reviews of orthotics because people with this tend to have high arches and supinate (that’s me) so some people say use orthotics and others say not to. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal pain [jderinger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Peroneal pain can linger, it stinks. You probably have correctly identify the cause, zero drop shoes and too much too soon.
Last time I had pain there, it seemed like it was no better after six or seven weeks and then a couple days later was pretty much gone. I wish I could tell you something and hopefully the doctor can, but you’re just gonna need time and likely to forget those zero drop shoes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had EPAT from my sports podiatrist - look into it as a possibility.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jderinger wrote:
Recently returned to running after a long time due to injury. Running in zero drop Altras has allowed me to run again. However, I have gotten bad cases of peroneal tendinitis in both feet. Seeing a doc but wanted to see if anyone has found long term solution to this - thinking maybe running with compression socks could help? Have read mixed reviews of orthotics because people with this tend to have high arches and supinate (that’s me) so some people say use orthotics and others say not to. Thanks!

Bad thing about a lot of these tendon injuries is you gotta quit running to allow time to heal. Tendons are extremely slow to heal, and a chronic injury is going to take a lot longer to get over (sometimes years).

If you are having bad peroneal tendonitis, and it has been present for a while, you definitely need to see a foot doc and have PT (physio). Sometimes, even a boot is needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really sorry to hear of your pain. I can't help but I can express sympathy. After snapping my ATFL and the surgery, rehab for that then I managed to snap my peroneal, in a pilates class of all things 2 days after being given the all clear to return to full training. Took 2 years to recover, and most definitely the worst surgery / recovery of all the foot / ankle ligament / tendon injuries I've had (and that's a long list).

High arches and worn orthotics for decades now as a result of botched achilles surgeries when I was 12 years old.

But what I will also say, is I've had other things that people have told me will never let me do X,Y,Z sporting activity, and they have all been 100% wrong about that. Sure I need to approach my kit choice or training in ways that differ from the herd, but it's all possible.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this sounds too simple, but you might try focusing on calf stretches and hand massage (particularly the outside of the lower legs from knee to ankle - along the peroneal tendon). Go easy at first with the stretches, but make them a daily habit. Also, massage calves and peroneal areas gently at first then more vigorously to warm and loosen them.

Examples of calf stretches - https://www.healthline.com/...tendonitis-stretches

Good luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, mine was frustrating. sleeping in warm socks made a big difference for me. make sure your lateral maleolus isn't hitting on the side of your running shoes (use an orthotic or I've found salming enroute shoes pretty low here). I found later in the recovery it would be sore for days and short light runs would reinjure it, but that seemed to stimulate it to heal.
Quote Reply