Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs?
Quote | Reply
Question

I have been following Barry P’s run program for the last 11 weeks, building to 25 mpw. Two recent field tests show an unusual pattern. I wonder if it's time to change things up a bit.

During a MAF test, I ran much faster than usual. It felt much harder and I breathed much harder than usual.

During Friel’s 20’ test, my HR didn’t get above my MAF HR, which experience suggests should fall inside my Friel’s Zone 2 for me.

My HR has no trouble getting up on brick runs or on the bike. It has had no trouble getting up on hard runs and races in the past.

tl;dr question: WTF?

Full question: Is it possible that my heart has gotten much stronger relative to my legs, so that my legs cannot sustain a fast pace, but my heart has no trouble supplying the necessary blood? And what’s the solution? Add tempo and/or threshold runs?

Background

I have little background in endurance sports. From 2016 to 2018, I become interested in fitness and did a bit of CrossFit and triathlon. In 2018, I burned myself out mentally and physically. I took a break from August 2018 until November 2019 to pursue other hobbies. In November 2019, I decided to give triathlon a more serious commitment. I want to approach it this time with moderation, patience, and a long-term commitment.

Training Approach

I began training on November 25, 2019. I began running 15 mpw on the Barry P run program. I maintained 15 mpw for four weeks and then bumped it to 20 mpw. I maintained 20 mpw for five weeks, and have now bumped it to 25 mpw. The volume has always seemed easily manageable and sustainable. I never fill the itch to run less, only to run faster on occasion. But I usually resist and keep it nice and easy.

I use one or more of the following metrics to define "easy pace." They are roughly consistent with each other.

• RPE "easy," "comfortable," "not pushing the pace." I could carry on a conversation.
  • Heart rate below 147 bpm (MAF HR). This heart rate is consistent with training zones I used previously based on Friel's 20’ TT test, which gave a Zone 2 of up to 153 bpm.
  • Pace of 11:12 - 12:17. I based this on a 5 mile TT from October 2019, where I ran I pace of 9:40/mile. This is the "Easy" zone from the VDOT calculator. Over time this pace has surly dropped, so I rely more on HR and RPE. I would say that 10:00/mile feels "easy" now.

I also bike and swim three times per week. The swims are mostly technique focused, and I'm currently working my way through the Guppy Challenge. On the bike, I do one moderate super-threshold session, one long ride up to 2.5 hours (perhaps substituting a sweet spot session if indoors), and a third ride where the quality and quantity depends on my fatigue.

Measuring Progress

I like to use 3-mile MAF tests to assess my progress for the run. To perform the test, I do a standardized warm-up of about 15 minutes and then run a standard 1.1-mile loop three times with my heart rate at 147. I hope to get faster at this same heart rate.

Here are the MAF tests so far.

November 17: MAF Test
Lap 1 pace: 12:12/mile @ 146 bpm
Lap 2 pace: 12:53/mile @ 147 bpm
Lap 3 pace: 13:24/mile @ 147 bpm

December 23: MAF Test
Lap 1 pace: 10:41/mile @ 145 bpm
Lap 2 pace: 11:02/mile @ 147 bpm
Lap 3 pace: 11:13/mile @ 147 bpm

February 2: MAF Test
Lap 1 pace: 7:49 @ 141 bpm
Lap 2 pace: 7:59 @ 141 bpm
Lap 3 pace: 7:49 @ 143 bpm

The February 2nd MAF test is way faster than usual for me and felt much harder than “easy.” It wasn’t “all-out,” but felt “moderately-hard.”

On February 7, after a rest day and an easier-than-usual week, I did a 20’ TT to establish running zones and get a sense of progress. The results are quite, again, surprising.

February 7: Friel’s 20-Minute TT Test
Average pace: 7:29/mile
Average HR: 142
Max HR: 149

That’s two unusual data points that are consistent with each other. For the February 2nd MAF test, my pace and RPE were much higher than usual for my usual low HR. For the February 7th 20’ test, my HR would not come up to match the unusual “all-out” (but paced) effort. Based on past results, I expected it to rise to 170 bpm or higher.

Here are several recent workouts with much higher heart rates:

• January 7: During a 2-mile hard brick run, I averaged 168 bpm with a max of 184 bpm. This is my only recent hard run with HR data.
  • January 25: During a 2 x 20’ sweet spot workout on the bike, I averaged 150 bpm and 153 bpm for each interval and maxed at 167 bpm.
  • January 21: During a 4 x 6’ at 105% of FTP workout on the bike, I averaged between 153 bpm and 156 bpm for the intervals and maxed 168 bpm.
  • December 24: During an Allen-style FTP test with 5’ and 20’ TTs, I averaged 160 bpm and 166 bpm with maxes of 173 bpm and 176 bpm.
  • November 26: During a TrainerRoad Ramp Test on the bike, I maxed at 181 bpm.

I also have some older race data that might be helpful.

• During a half-marathon in 2017, I averaged 169 bpm and maxed at 187 bpm.
  • During a sprint triathlon in 2017, I averaged 177 bpm and maxed at 190 bpm for the run. (I averaged 178 bpm and maxed at 184 bpm on the bike.)
  • During a sprint triathlon in 2018, I averaged 176 bpm and maxed at 183 bpm for the run. (I averaged 180 bpm and maxed at 185 bpm on the bike.)
Last edited by: carly_tris: Feb 7, 20 15:23
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs? [carly_tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How old are you??
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs? [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m 34 years old
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs? [carly_tris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, good. I hope you understand that your question is completely relevant to whether you were 20 or 80 years old. Without that info, there are no answers.

Now it looks like to me from all the info you posted, you probably have a max HR over 200. So at 34, you are not going to fit into the middle of the MAF formulas, but you will be outside them on the high side(which means you are going too slow in training if you are adhering to them)

So that is problem 1. Other things could just be you are fitter, or the opposite, heart tired from training. Both those things can have you training with a lower HR than normal. And of course there are technical things that can go wrong, so make sure you always take a hard count when the monitor looks like it could be wonky. That happens a lot, and always astounds me when I ask folks, what was your hard count, and they say I dont know..
Last edited by: monty: Feb 7, 20 15:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also check your MAF tests listings, you have almost 13 1/2 minute pace down to 7;49 pace, at the same HR's? What am I missing?

November 17: MAF Test
Lap 1 pace: 12:12/mile @ 146 bpm
Lap 2 pace: 12:53/mile @ 147 bpm
Lap 3 pace: 13:24/mile @ 147 bpm

December 23: MAF Test
Lap 1 pace: 10:41/mile @ 145 bpm
Lap 2 pace: 11:02/mile @ 147 bpm
Lap 3 pace: 11:13/mile @ 147 bpm

February 2: MAF Test
Lap 1 pace: 7:49 @ 141 bpm
Lap 2 pace: 7:59 @ 141 bpm
Lap 3 pace: 7:49 @ 143 bpm

Last edited by: monty: Feb 7, 20 16:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Ok, good. I hope you understand that your question is completely relevant to whether you were 20 or 80 years old. Without that info, there are no answers.

Now it looks like to me from all the info you posted, you probably have a max HR over 200. So at 34, you are not going to fit into the middle of the MAF formulas, but you will be outside them on the high side(which means you are going too slow in training if you are adhering to them)

So that is problem 1. Other things could just be you are fitter, or the opposite, heart tired from training. Both those things can have you training with a lower HR than normal. And of course there are technical things that can go wrong, so make sure you always take a hard count when the monitor looks like it could be wonky. That happens a lot, and always astounds me when I ask folks, what was your hard count, and they say I dont know..

What is heart tired?
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs? [Tri.Tony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What is heart tired?//

It is a term we came up with in the old days for guys that trained so much, that their hearts became/acted tired. Wolfgang was the first guy I saw with this, nothing else wrong with him, and he could do normal hard training, but just could not get his HR up to normal race/hard training levels. Since those days, a lot of other guys have gotten this, and more a more it is explaining what is happening to some athletes. After he rested for a couple months(actually trained super slow) his HR went back to normal.

I dont know what the clinical term is, or even if there is one, but it is a thing. But not likely what is going on with the OP, everyone I have seen and heard with this are extreme trainers doing ironman..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s the question. I thought the Feb. 2nd MAF test was an anomaly until the Feb. 7th 20’ TT test.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It really looks like your monitor was just not working properly for the first two tests, and it finally came right. If it were a year between those first two tests and the last one, then maybe, but not months..

Either that or you were a really good runner, and got completely out of shape, did those tests still way out of shape, and you turned a corner to regain old fitness, is that you??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
It really looks like your monitor was just not working properly for the first two tests, and it finally came right. If it were a year between those first two tests and the last one, then maybe, but not months..

Either that or you were a really good runner, and got completely out of shape, did those tests still way out of shape, and you turned a corner to regain old fitness, is that you??

I would say that I have never given running a good try until lately. I suspect I had never run 60 miles in a month before November-December.

I do feel like I’ve gotten a lot faster, especially at an easy RPE, but I agree that those numbers seem absurd. So perhaps there’s just some measurement error. But my data seem fine on the bike, where I typically do my higher-HR work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm pretty sure that is parasympathetic overtraining.

It took me about 12 weeks to get out of that situation.

I don't think that is the OP's problem though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So perhaps there’s just some measurement error. //

My HR monitor often reads very high on the start of some runs, and then I have to reset the workout and start over and it is fine. You neglected to answer my question about a hard count, so I guess I can assume you did not do one. But now you know, if you had done that, we could rule out or in HR monitor error. Absent of you being that comeback runner I described, I would have to go with HR monitor error in those first two trials. It just seems a bridge too far to assume those are all righteous numbers. Go with the last trial and you bike numbers, and do hard counts next time you see something off on those...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you using for a hr monitor?

Your results being essentially the same matter how hard or slow you go makes the measurements extremely suspect. The range is so wide and hr so consistent I think it is impossible that improving fitness can explain it.

Maybe try a different monitor. Use a chest strap, not wrist.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
You neglected to answer my question about a hard count, so I guess I can assume you did not do one.

I did not do a hard count, so it's possible that data are bad.

For completeness, the 20' test suggests the following training pace zones:

Daniels' Zones
---------------
Easy 09:35 - 10:33/mi
Marathon 08:32/mi
Threshold 08:00/mi
Interval 07:22/mi
Repetition 06:57/mi

Friel's Zones
-------------
Zone 1 10:08/mi and under
Zone 2 08:57 - 10:08/mi
Zone 3 08:19 - 08:57/mi
Zone 4 07:51 - 08:19/mi
Zone 5a 07:36 - 07:51/mi
Zone 5b 07:03 - 07:36/mi
Zone 5c 07:03/mi and above

Since most of my training runs at an "easy" RPE have been about 10:30 at the fastest for the last couple of months, I like monty's hypothesis.

monty wrote:
you are going too slow in training...

I can definitely pick up the pace. I've just been trying to avoid overdoing it, as I'm wont to to.

One remaining question I have, assuming the data are correct: If I have been doing all my runs in the slow end of Friel's Zone 1 or Daniels' Easy Pace, would that explain my extremely low heart rate in the 20' TT and fast pace in the Feb. 2nd MAF test? In other words, is it possible that my legs just can't keep up with my heart?

Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs? [RowToTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RowToTri wrote:

Your results being essentially the same matter how hard or slow you go makes the measurements extremely suspect. The range is so wide and hr so consistent I think it is impossible that improving fitness can explain it.

I have a Garmin HRM-TRi strap. It has no trouble detecting a much higher HR on the bike.

Also, here's some relevant anecdata: I can get my HR up higher on hills and at the end of a long run (and especially when the two intersect). For the short, flat runs with a throrough warmup, it doesn't seem to want to come up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you swim a lot when you were a child?

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Heart Rate Unusually Low; Time to Add Tempo Runs? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timr wrote:
Did you swim a lot when you were a child?

Nope. I don’t have any background in endurance sports, save dipping my toe into triathlon in 2017-2018.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tell me more about "heart tired". Two months to recover seems like a long time. Is it related to volume so it is better to keep the volume low and intensity high? Related to muscle fibre composition (ie slow v fast twitch). Any research that you know of? I think this me.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
carly_tris wrote:
RowToTri wrote:

I have a Garmin HRM-TRi strap. It has no trouble detecting a much higher HR on the bike.

Also, here's some relevant anecdata: I can get my HR up higher on hills and at the end of a long run (and especially when the two intersect). For the short, flat runs with a throrough warmup, it doesn't seem to want to come up.

You’re overthinking it.

Im very sure if you run harder on short flat runs, your HR will increase
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So you've been training for two months starting from ~0?

At this point do you really need to measure everything and have specific training programs and be testing and all that? Why not just swim, bike, and run a bunch and feel out how your body reacts and how it fits with your schedule and how you like it?
Quote Reply