Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
Great Work ! Reading this would definitely increase my interest in doing a flat fast course knowing the bike would be marshalled so well.

Agree with whoever said it - get these guys to kona ! Lets start a lobby for it.

I would highly recommend this as a winter event if you are in the northern hemisphere. It's also a good event coming off the trainer in the winter and we all got to race a fair race.

The pros are fast because they are pros. For the rest of us, besides the bike being 7-10 min faster than a more rolling course with more turns and braking the rest of the race is equally hard to any other half Ironman. The swim is choppy with current and hard sighting and the run has zero shade and while not Kona or Texas hot if you come out of basement training the sun's rays just bear your down.

For me I have some business is Dubai (or should I say, I am trying to set up a few projects for my company) so there was a higher incentive to do this event.
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [Canuck1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Canuck1 wrote:
Great Work ! Reading this would definitely increase my interest in doing a flat fast course knowing the bike would be marshalled so well.

Agree with whoever said it - get these guys to kona ! Lets start a lobby for it.
Sorry to get off track but I feel I should regarding your comment and no need for a lobby.

With the rolling start Kona was fine last year. No packs formed and made it easy for draft busters to do their work. One Harley would pass and if you were smart enough you knew another was coming soon enough. There was a line of riders as far as the eye could see along the Queen K and the two guys drafting in front of me mid way out both got cards.

As much as I wanted to keep the mass start, the wave starts fixed the issue IMHO...
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for that feedback. I was not there last year and it is great to hear the wave start sorted things out quite a bit. That really changes the race for the better especially for the non FOP swimmers.

It does sound like there is something to be learned from dubai still with how they had so many marshals and then watching a similar group of athletes. Kona could certainty do more regardless of wave starts in the number of marshals. Wave starts and more marshals would be about as good a fix as they could do. Sounds like last year was much better than it’s been for quite a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Strava results are not an indicator of correct data. I did a run with a friend of mine on a course that I am very familiar with. He made a mistake and cut out at least .5 miles of that 5 mile run. At the end of the day when we compared Strava data, his numbers and map were identical to mine, even though clearly they had not been the same.

Plus we all know that virtually no athlete will ever admit that their PR was set on a short course.
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [realbdeal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
realbdeal wrote:
Hmm. Hard to believe the bike is correct when 12 guys went under 2 hours.

Wait until November when you see Ironman Melbourne 70.3

I wouldn't be surprised if all the men's field go sub 2 hours.

That bike will be super fast.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just look at the times from Challenge Melbourne in the past. It is the same race just rebranded. A few 2:01's in there from last year.
https://www.challengemelbourne.com.au/live-results/#1_88C4C4
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [Shambolic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shambolic wrote:
Just look at the times from Challenge Melbourne in the past. It is the same race just rebranded. A few 2:01's in there from last year.
https://www.challengemelbourne.com.au/live-results/#1_88C4C4

Challenge was a 3 Lap cycle.

Ironman is a 2 Lap cycle.

I assure you, many will break the 2 hour time on a legal distance course.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
vonagut wrote:
That's good to hear that they've stepped up the refereeing. Did this race in 2017 and 2018 and the bike leg was just a mess. Never seen drafting like that before in a non-draft legal race. Kudos to TriDubai.

Try Bahrain, a draft fest of epic proportions made even more interesting by live traffic on the course & the occasional bike under a lorry.
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [cartsman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did this race as well.

Swim course was approx. 2000meters for most of my tri-club mates. Revised course due to some constructions in the area. Wave Start for AG: 6 Athletes every 4 secs.

Bike was 90 kms (maybe 100-200m more), quality of road was like a "carpet". Was happily surprised by 29-30 marshals, saw many people in penalty box. On the way back (after 45kms) wind was "pushing" you forward.

Run course about 20.850meters, aid stations in running session was fulfilled with iced water, iso, colas, red bull, gels, etc, one of the best refuelling I have ever seen.

But the fact that officially 1105 Age Groupers had wrong time in swimming session (bibs started counting their time when the first AGs started swimming (07.10)) not individualy, make a result confusion, placing extra time (from 1min to 20 minutes) for these 1105 AG. I started swimming 07:20 but my bib was counting since 07:10 (went to the time keepers after I finished the race).

As a result, in ceremony awards, no slot allocation for IM 703 WC@Taupo. Paul Kaye communication skill talent, at his best. They decided to offer extra 40 slots for that AGs that their results were based on bike/run (on top of the 812 AGs that their results were as it had to be (swimbikerun).

So:
40 Slots for 1105 Age groupers (bike/run results)
40 slots for 812 AG (swim/biker/run results)
plus 25 extra slots for women.
Last edited by: katojohn: Feb 15, 20 2:07
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [katojohn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What a mess

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
katojohn wrote:
Did this race as well.

Swim course was approx. 2000meters for most of my tri-club mates. Revised course due to some constructions in the area. Wave Start for AG: 6 Athletes every 4 secs.

Bike was 90 kms (maybe 100-200m more), quality of road was like a "carpet". Was happily surprised by 29-30 marshals, saw many people in penalty box. On the way back (after 45kms) wind was "pushing" you forward.

Run course about 20.850meters, aid stations in running session was fulfilled with iced water, iso, colas, red bull, gels, etc, one of the best refuelling I have ever seen.

But the fact that officially 1105 Age Groupers had wrong time in swimming session (bibs started counting their time when the first AGs started swimming (07.10)) not individualy, make a result confusion, placing extra time (from 1min to 20 minutes) for these 1105 AG. I started swimming 07:20 but my bib was counting since 07:10 (went to the time keepers after I finished the race).

As a result, in ceremony awards, no slot allocation for IM 703 WC@Taupo. Paul Kaye communication skill talent, at his best. They decided to offer extra 40 slots for that AGs that their results were based on bike/run (on top of the 812 AGs that their results were as it had to be (swimbikerun).

So:
40 Slots for 1105 Age groupers (bike/run results)
40 slots for 812 AG (swim/biker/run results)
plus 25 extra slots for women.

Does anyone know if slot allocation is complete? I really did not "feel" like I deserved a slot given my slow run, but I'm probably on the edge of a potential rolldown in my age group depending on how many slots we get. My age group is around 5% of the field, so I expect roughly 4 slots so maybe two in each category, so it depends on how many studs in front of me already have slots or don't plan to go to New Zealand in November. The longer I am removed from the race, the pain of suffering out another 21.1km run is less traumatic (hard to believe 21.1km used to be an easy run, these days it feels like a marathon to me).
Last edited by: devashish_paul: Feb 15, 20 8:39
Quote Reply
Re: Dubai 70.3 Results [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as I know, I have fiends racing in M50-54 & M45-49 and have been contacted for slot qualification (completed successfully the process). This took place on Thursday & Friday. They both were in the "bike/run" results.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if the dust is all settled and allocation is complete ? I am in the swim-bike-run results, so I assume that's all done but would be great to know.
Quote Reply

Prev Next