Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question
Quote | Reply
I saw a post a while ago regarding converting a Zipp 10 speed to an 11 speed with a cassette that was modified. I can't find it in the search function. I have a set of Zipp 808 10 speed, I hate to have to sell them if I can get a cassette that will work with my 11 speed bike. The bike shop called Zipp and was told they can't do anything to convert them. Anyone know when I can find one of those cassette that will work, anyone had any luck with them?

thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [M&M Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are you thinking of the Edco Monoblock cassette? I haven't used it myself, but have heard it works fine.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [nwingr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really don't know what exactly I'm looking for, other than something that would work. I will google that and see what it looks like. thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
basically you have to get a 11 speed cassette and remove 1.8mm of thickness from the back of the biggest cog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cazQt5oleo4
the biggest cog must be 25t or larger for better spoke clearance
mind that 11-34 (and larger) 11spd cassettes fit on 10spd hubs (no need to be machined)

if you don't want to machine anything, simply swap the zipp shimano freehub for the campy one, and it will accomodate 11spd cassettes (campy brand, of course)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [jollyroger88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will look into this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used 2 cassettes on an old Zipp 808 that were modified (machined) by this company in Canada. With a slight adjustment to your derailleur, they shift as well as a standard Shimano cassette. https://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine owns a bike shop in meridian Idaho, he had machine shop take off 1.8 mm of aluminum off of an ultegra 11 speed cassette. I bought 2 of them and have used them for the last 3 years. works perfect on my old Zipp disc an shimano 10 speed wheels. Call Paul McKenna at Meridian cycles, Idaho.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just search on ebay for modified 11 speed shimano. They run about 145 and I use them on all my wheels with no modifications.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [gentry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in Boise, ID, will run out there this weekend, thanks a TON!!
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [sixironman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can install a Campy 11 speed freehub in place of the 10 speed SRAM/Shimano one and use Campy compatible Cassettes. They work just fine with 11 speed SRAM/Shimano chain/derailleurs.

Jon Ryder
RPM Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like Dr Koontz I got a Laco cassette. I think it was around $145 US for a Shimano Ultegra 11-28. It shifts perfectly. Arrived in 5 days from Canada. https://www.lascoconcept.com/en/11s-cassette/
Last edited by: Herbie Hancock: Feb 7, 20 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [Herbie Hancock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X 3 on the Lasco . . . sounds like the guy in Idaho does the same thing.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Feb 7, 20 7:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M&M Tri wrote:
I saw a post a while ago regarding converting a Zipp 10 speed to an 11 speed with a cassette that was modified. I can't find it in the search function. I have a set of Zipp 808 10 speed, I hate to have to sell them if I can get a cassette that will work with my 11 speed bike. The bike shop called Zipp and was told they can't do anything to convert them. Anyone know when I can find one of those cassette that will work, anyone had any luck with them?

thanks in advance.

The new 11-speed gravel/mountain ultegra cassettes (CS-HG800) will work on 10-speed hubs, as long as you and your RD are ok with 11-34

https://bike.shimano.com/...000/CS-HG800-11.html

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
M&M Tri wrote:
I saw a post a while ago regarding converting a Zipp 10 speed to an 11 speed with a cassette that was modified. I can't find it in the search function. I have a set of Zipp 808 10 speed, I hate to have to sell them if I can get a cassette that will work with my 11 speed bike. The bike shop called Zipp and was told they can't do anything to convert them. Anyone know when I can find one of those cassette that will work, anyone had any luck with them? Thanks in advance.

All the info you need is in the link below. In our post, there is a fast and free way of doing this, and there is info about modified cassettes available too:

https://www.darkspeedworks.com/blog-11speed.htm

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Last edited by: DarkSpeedWorks: Feb 7, 20 8:58
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks everyone!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What everyone has mentioned, I have purchased lots of 10 speed wheels for sale and converted them to 11 speed with a little help from my local machinist, usually a 5 minute $20 min job.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep, any machine shop in the world can machine a little off of the back of an Ultegra cassette for about $20.

And Ultegra cassettes can be purchased new for about $70 with free shipping.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 808 10 speed - 11 speed Conversion Question [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The machine shop hack sounds like a good option.

Another way is to remove one of the cogs from the 11speed cassette. Yes that makes it 10speed but I didn’t switch to 11sp for an extra gear, I did it to go 1X. My cassette was 11-12-13-15 etc so I removed the 12.
Quote Reply