Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Road shoes vs triathlon shoes for triathlon
Quote | Reply
Hi all! I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts regarding road shoes vs triathlon shoes specifically for triathlons. I've seen a number of the long distance pros using road shoes and heard the primarily reason was the stability of the shoe was worth the extra few seconds for them to put on. I'm interested to know:
  • Do you use road shoes or triathlon shoes for triathlons?
  • Why do you use this kind of shoe?
  • Do you adjust what type of shoe you use based on different length triathlons?

Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes vs triathlon shoes for triathlon [icabob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have used the Specialized S-Works tri shoes since they 1st came out for all tris (all distances) AND road biking events. I just really can't imagine there are any shoes that I would like better, would fit better, or perform better - for me.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Last edited by: david: Feb 6, 20 13:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri shoes for sprints and Oly's and only because of the way the straps work and only because I found a great price on a pair online.Road shoes for every other event and touring.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I typically use road shoes as adding 'triathlon' to label doubles the price.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Specialized Torch 2.0 carbon road shoes for IM's and used to wear a pair of non carbon Garneau's until I realized how much they flex. I got a pair of LG Tri Air Lites (carbon) on black Friday and I'll now be using those in HIM and shorter. If I love them, I may sell my carbon road shoes. Time will tell!

Blog: https://davidkoppeltriathlon.blogspot.com/
Coaching: https://dkendurance.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
icabob wrote:
Hi all! I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts regarding road shoes vs triathlon shoes specifically for triathlons. I've seen a number of the long distance pros using road shoes and heard the primarily reason was the stability of the shoe was worth the extra few seconds for them to put on. I'm interested to know:

1) I use road shoes in 70.3+ only because I never wanted to practice the flying mount with road shoes for shorter races (i'm sure it can be done!) I never really take my shorter tris too seriously but I did lose a 2nd placing by 5 seconds last year and I used road shoes...

2) I always felt I could never tighten the velcro enough and definitely feel that at the end of a 3 hour ride that it is loose. Not an issue with BOAs

2)yes, as explained but I don't think you need to, I'm sure others will say flying mounts with road shoes are very doable.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 Tri shoes mainly differ from road shoes by:

- Lighter fabrics most of the time (but offers less support)
- Can drain fluids in the shoe better than a built-up solid road shoe
- Generally have a large pull loop in the back that is very useful (essential imo) if you want to do on-the-bike shoe entries and exits. It's much harder/slower to do these without that pull loop.

Contrary to what was said earlier as well, I haven't found tri shoes to cost significantly more than road shoes. They don't seem overpriced to me compared to road shoes in terms of what you get for your money (which I was pleasantly surprised to find.)

Avoid the REALLY cheap brands like "Venzo" on Amazon. I took a gamble with them after one of my Pearl Izumis got lost (dropped it somewhere). Not only are they are lot flimsier than typical tri shoes, but the heel loop broke off when I jerked on it during a bike mount. None of my other tri shoes have ever come close to having that happen - that's what you get with the super cheap stuff, unfortunately.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
icabob wrote:

I use my own hybrid aero road shoes as do many pros. Many others pros have moved to more aero shoes as well. Pros have been wising up to everything aero for many years now and shoes is low-hanging fruit. I use the Giro Empire SLX that I wrote about tested in the wind tunnel. I did a write up on that here. It is aero and I do not adjust it based on which length triathlon. I don't think pros would race in full length skin suits either if they didn't believe it was fast, but they believe they are fast and that is what matters to them.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Road shoes vs triathlon shoes for triathlon [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow. 4-12 watts from shoes. I am shocked.
Are the Giro's narrow? I have narrow feet and have always stuck with Sidi.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always used Tri shoes 1) for the easy opening/closure (velcro vs ratchet), and 2) I went ahead and got my Tri shoes a 1/2 size smaller for ditching socks compared to my other biking shoes (both road & MTB).
Quote Reply