Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Muslic clerics call for cartoonist trial and punishment [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"and Jews around the world are just about to riot over those Holocaust cartoons in Iran- they're just taking a little time to get better organized."

Actually cartoons of this sort published in the Arab world media are common place. As mentioned here already, religions tend to have double standards with 'my God' being the only true God etc. Thing is in the case of Islam it is a whole lot more pronounced . It even leads to violence against people of other religions in the form of terrorism. No Vitus the Jews are seasoned to such cartoons and there will be no vilolent demonstrations or stupid efigy and flag burning protests. Only the Muslims on the whole do that with to a much lesser extent some South American nations where the people are largely uneducated and ignorant.

Just watched the programme "Have Your Say" on the BBC. The presenter with Prince Al Hassan of Jordan and the Foriegn Minister of Norway as well as callers from all over the world [participating in the debate on these Cartoons.

Better questions to Prince Hassan from individuals from the West were basically centered on why all the adamance in the Muslim world when the Muslim nations just love depicting such cartoons themselves, especially against Israel and the Jews. One notable one is branding the Jewish faith with the Nazi insignia? Another was, why all the violent protests about some cartoons when Muslims have done a lot worse to other religions such as destroying and desicrating Hindu temples and sacred ancient monuments in Afghanistan to, destroying Churches from time to time around the world? After incidents such as 9/11, a lot more damaging than some cartoons how come the people of other religions aren't just as violent and thereatening to Muslims world wide?

Well the Prince's answer was that within Islam there is a struggle between factions. The 'bad' factions are stiring and inciting the masses to violent protest so the West should be more sensitive and not light matches to ignite the flamable topic of the Muslim Religion. All religion issues should be separated from politics and more favourable dialogue should take place. And so it's like. "Oh yeah that's so true etc etc." And everyone sort of agrees.

IMO the point was missed. Incitement or any other non-excuse, why is it the Muslims, and only Muslims on such a large global scale with such violent reaction, why is it only them who react in this manner? To some stupid cartoons no less. Well could it be the religion itself is a screwed up one? Please do give me another logical reason if there is one. As the saying goes, "Actions speak louder than words." As for the Muslims their actions have spoken volumes!

One caller mentions that it's good that these cartoons were published. Now as with the principles of free speach, open debate over a long festering issue of Islam and the West can hopelly be debated more in the open. In the past everyone is so concerned with the sensitivities of Muslims over Islam that all that's being going on has not been debated head on and honestly.

As for the Muslim callers, predictably they whine about the defiling of the sacrilidge to their religion and demand official Government apologies. The Norwegian Foriegn Minister basically replies that their government is regretable and so are almost all Norwegians. But they can't give an official policy since in their country they have no such control over the media and were not responsible for it in any way. To which the Muslim callers are not happy.
Quote Reply
Re: Muslic clerics call for cartoonist trial and punishment [vitus979] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The same Clerics that insight their followers to acts of terrorism?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So what? Like I said, there was a lot of anger that our own money was being used for that type of thing. Tat's totally legit, if you ask me. You have the right to create sick "art" if you want. You don't have a right to make me subsidize it. Ditto for the NEA.

Like I said, there were no calls to make it illegal, or to punish the artist after trial, let alone riots.

You did say that there were no moves to limit free speech - I think Guiliani moving to cut of municipal funds to the museum counts. If that's not what you meant, then OK, nothing personal. I agree there were no calls make it illegal or punish the artist.

FWIW, I think the complaints about the NEA funding Piss Christ had a lot of validity.

I think vitus was being sarcastic in his post. However, everything you said was exactly on point.
Quote Reply

Prev Next