Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Questions for Lionels Coach
Quote | Reply
Hello ST,

I am sure have some of you know I am here in Hawaii with Lionel, Erin, and his Coach. I plan to sit down with David (His Coach) at some point and record an interview. I have a pretty go idea on what all I am going to ask him but wanted to jump on here and see if you guys had any interesting questions. I might not get to them all in this interview but I will do my best to get to most.

Fire Away
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [talbotcox] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you plan on doing any further significant work on Lionels run form?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1.) Why does he sit up when doing intervals on the trainer? I know that he is trying to boost power, but wouldn't you want the adaptation of pushing power while in the aero position?
2.) Lionel has had bike fit work. Why haven't his feet been moved to a wider position in order to allow his knees to be centered over his feet?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when will lionel be joining team ineos?

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks Talbot, appreciate the opportunity to chime in. Feels like I've seen a few comments on the YouTube videos asking about what strength training Lionel does. Can you ask DTD about some of the key strength sessions he has Lionel doing during different training blocks?

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How receptive has Lionel been to coaching the second time around?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
what are some things you do that can help lionle get back to the podium in kona? what was your relationship with lionel after he fired you? did he beg when he came back? who would be a better coach lionel or talbot?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [Cookiebuilder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cookiebuilder wrote:
what are some things you do that can help lionle get back to the podium in kona? what was your relationship with lionel after he fired you? did he beg when he came back? who would be a better coach lionel or talbot?
oh hell yes.

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
How receptive has Lionel been to coaching the second time around?

🤣. Is he actually paying you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He may not want to answer, but I just want to know who will be running his nutrition protocol on race day? DTD or farm it out?

If DTD ran his protocol when he came second I would have a lot of confidence in that.

Free styling hasn’t worked out so well the past few years.

Maurice
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like an MMA fighter does he believe there is any other way to win Kona other than going off the front of the bike (play to his strength)??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does Lionel follow your program? Do you envisage being employed long?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just tell Lionel that a fan said hi and I hope he kills it this year. Talbot will you be filming the interview? If you are I'll be watching as soon as it's released
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you Talbot for what you do. No specific questions, just curious how his coach will manage his training and nutrition. When Lionel has to much say in these things it never ends well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is Lionel as "hungry" as ever to squeeze everything out of himself that he can? The kamikaze approach produced some massive blow-ups, near-misses, and cringe-worthy moments, but it seems like that devil-may-care attitude is what allowed him to have the successes that he has. Is he still on fire, or is he now more "going through the motions" -- just checking the boxes that SHOULD make him successful?

THANKS! -- Love your stuff and a huge Lionel supporter!

Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [toj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here's my question:

Have you looked into Nike Next% and see if Lionel can benefit from them?

I think at least they should do some kind of test and see what's better for him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
According to his coaches perspective (not Lionel) where are the biggest discrepancies between Lionel's take and his coaches suggestions?

Realizing he might not spill fine details, but I find it interesting that we know a lot of Lionel's take on Lionel. Curious to see where the hangups are now, what are the broad-stroke "agree to disagree" topics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much orange is on his training peaks?

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where is the low hanging fruit? Swim, bike, run, strength, psychology, nutrition?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How involved is he as a coach? Does he write all his workouts, and if so, does he then review each one for compliance and make the necessary adjustments going forward?
It wasn't clear to me if he was even a coach when he was brought onboard (again) - I think the language was still 'advisor' or something like that.

I'd like to know if he has any explanation for the Lionel phenomenon. Just looking at this thread... why does his mentioning name conjure so much emotion?
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ajthomas wrote:
I'd like to know if he has any explanation for the Lionel phenomenon. Just looking at this thread... why does his mentioning name conjure so much emotion?

He's a great personality, witty, brutally honest and very human. His youtube videos are very watchable, warts and all.... and I suppose there is a great deal of emotion when it comes to discussing him, as we want him to do well and as he's so open about himself and his training, it makes it easy for us to comment and speculate.
Last edited by: zedzded: Feb 5, 20 22:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello,

thanks for the opportunity :-)

My question :
considering bike + run training, what percentage of time is spent at :
-base endurance (mostly fat oxydation)
-race pace (similar amount of energy from fat and glycogen)
-sweet spot (mostly glycogen)
-FTP and above (only glycogen)

especially as the germans, the norvegians (thanks Arild for transparency) and Cam Wurf seems to really benefit from a lot of base endurance work

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [Pyrenean Wolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How to deal with an athele, who overtrain all the time. Do one more interval, change easy traininig to grey zone training etc...
Quote Reply
Re: Questions for Lionels Coach [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does he get irritated when Lionel routinely uses the phrase "and bah bah bah" to describe something?

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply