Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Power meter pedals
Quote | Reply
Hi all,
Sorry for the basic question here. I’ve used a single sided stages pm for the last few years, but looking to go to dual sided power. I’m searching older options for cost savings, and two options that come up are the Garmin vectors (original) and PowerTap p1. Can anyone provide any thoughts on whether these are still solid options now in 2020?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [linkslefty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a set of Powertap p1s and a set of p2s. They've been rock solid with zero issues. My p1s came from powertap as a refurbished set over 2 years ago and my p2s i've had for 7 or 8 months. The Assioma pedals are getting more attention these days but if you can get a good price on the powertaps i wouldn't hesitate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure the newer versions are better somehow, but I'm on my 4th year with the same set of P1s and have zero issues.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know how experienced you are, but if you're looking for basic metrics, maybe stages left-only. May/may not be as accurate, but it certainly will be consistent & I believe that that's what may matter most. (Oh, & you'll get new technology at a fraction of the price.)
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vols wrote:
I'm sure the newer versions are better somehow, but I'm on my 4th year with the same set of P1s and have zero issues.

Small sample size here, but are the p1’s generally preferred over vectors?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linkslefty wrote:
Are the p1’s generally preferred over vectors?
Vectors suck. If someone gave me a set of V3 pedals, I would sell them and buy Assioma or PowerTap pedals.

The P1 pedals are solid. I had 2 sets. Know that the axle bearings will wear out around 5K miles and need refurbishment (thus my 2nd set). The P2 version apparently added life to the axles and made them easier to service.

Look at the Assioma Duo pedals. They are the cheapest and best out there. The axles are user-serviceable. Of all the pedal power meter products, the Assioma's are the only ones with virtually no negative comments on the Internet.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linkslefty wrote:
Vols wrote:

Small sample size here, but are the p1’s generally preferred over vectors?

The P1's were better engineered and thought out from their inception. The Vectors weren't, but they have improved with each release until there really isn't a difference in that area.

However, Power Tap got out of the pedal business a few years ago so there stuff is old new stock and if you can find it they are very inexpensive.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [AutomaticJack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AutomaticJack wrote:
However, Power Tap got out of the pedal business a few years ago so there stuff is old new stock and if you can find it they are very inexpensive.
Are you sure? I think that the P2 is still a current product and thriving. (The P1 was discontinued about a 18 months ago when they introduced the P2.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a set of the Powertap P1S (single sided) and they worked fine, but I wanted dual sided power and bought a set of Favero Assiomas. I also put a set of Faveros on my wife's tribike.

Personally, I prefer the Faveros. The easy decision point is that they're less expensive than the Powertaps and Garmins. On top of that, I like the rechargeable battery in the Faveros over having to replace batteries in the Powertaps, and I also like how the Faveros have 4 bright LED lights to tell you that they're activated. You can see the lights when cycling as well. My Powertaps had 1 very dim light that you could only see from the side, while standing beside the bike.

Most importantly, they just work and I get power output consistent with two trainers I've tested them on. My Powertaps always read a little high.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My issue here is that I won’t be able to find well used Faveros for my price point like I could the p1’s. I appreciate this feedback however.

dktxracer wrote:
I had a set of the Powertap P1S (single sided) and they worked fine, but I wanted dual sided power and bought a set of Favero Assiomas. I also put a set of Faveros on my wife's tribike.

Personally, I prefer the Faveros. The easy decision point is that they're less expensive than the Powertaps and Garmins. On top of that, I like the rechargeable battery in the Faveros over having to replace batteries in the Powertaps, and I also like how the Faveros have 4 bright LED lights to tell you that they're activated. You can see the lights when cycling as well. My Powertaps had 1 very dim light that you could only see from the side, while standing beside the bike.

Most importantly, they just work and I get power output consistent with two trainers I've tested them on. My Powertaps always read a little high.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
AutomaticJack wrote:
Are you sure? I think that the P2 is still a current product and thriving. (The P1 was discontinued about a 18 months ago when they introduced the P2.)

Yep, you're correct. Quarq owns them now and still produces the pedals. It's the crank based power meter that went away, which is too bad, since the C1 was a better product than Quarq's low power no offerings.

My mistake.

"...the street finds its own uses for things"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive had a set of Favero Assiomas for a few years now and they’re fantastic. Bulletproof design, flips between bikes easily as you would expect and accurate. Pull the trigger on a dual sided set!
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [BWSeattle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
another vote for Assioma - I've had the single sided pedals for 1.5 years, flawless. I would personally not consider any other power meter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
linkslefty wrote:
My issue here is that I won’t be able to find well used Faveros for my price point like I could the p1’s.
If you are shopping used P1 pedals, then you need to get three quick answers before you click buy...
  1. How many miles are on them?
  2. Do they have the updated battery covers?
  3. What is the cost of a PowerTap P1 axle bearing replacement service? (I think it is around $150 USD.)

Plan on the bearing service every 5,000 miles and factor that into your used pedal budget.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Without personally knowing the history of a second hand power meter (of any kind) I wouldn't take the risk.
Accuracy is the key thing you want from a power meter and without it it's useless.
Wait until you can afford to buy some new Favero Assioma, they are cheaper than the rest and very reliable. Easy to swap between bikes without any complex setup process. I've not seen any bad reviews of them, and two of the top tech testers GPlama and DCrainmaker love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am using the Favero Duo and noticed there is an imbalance between my left and right legs with the ratio of around (53%/47%)

Is this something I should be worried of?
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [skyjuice] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is pretty typical. It is one of the driving reasons that a total power power meter is valuable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skyjuice wrote:
I am using the Favero Duo and noticed there is an imbalance between my left and right legs with the ratio of around (53%/47%)

Is this something I should be worried of?

I have the similar imbalance. Sometimes as high as 55%/45%. It’s definitely why I’m happy having the favero duos to get the total power number. I’m sure if I really wanted to know I could go to some sports physical therapist to sort it out. Since I don’t have pain I don’t worry about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Power meter pedals [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there a need to work on this imbalance, maybe trying to put more force on the right (although it will be unnatural) or should I just ignore this
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skyjuice wrote:
Is there a need to work on this imbalance, maybe trying to put more force on the right (although it will be unnatural) or should I just ignore this

no reason to work on it that I’m aware of.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a set of slightly used P1's, but shortly after I got them I was off the bike for around 6 months after surgery. Stored in their original box, without battery in, and when I was better I came to fit them and they'd died on me.

Bought new battery caps and all that sort of stuff, but to no avail - Powertap in the US (for it was still them at the time) said I needed to contact the importer here in NZ, who wanted a proof of purchase. The guy I got them from (who I think knew the importer) provided me with his credit card statement and the importer was kind enough to send me a brand spanking new set as a replacement.

I went from thinking I'd made a big mistake to thinking that the importer went above and beyond and being extremely grateful. They've been faultless since.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nearly 4 years in with P1s and never had an issue. If your budget would allow I would say buy the Assiomas, if not used P1s will serve you well. I never had a problem with the older battery covers, but if you buy pedals with the old covers, the new ones are only about 20US.
Quote Reply