Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sudden Onset of Numbness in Left Index Finger
Quote | Reply
Hello,

First off, I have a call into my doctor.

I just experienced a very sudden and scary incident where my left index finger went totally numb and looked very white. It happened while I was driving in a heated car so I don't think cold temperature was an issue. I've never experienced this before.

I was an issue for maybe 45 minutes and then it started to dissipate and return to normal. Right now it feels normal. I'm a 65 yo male. I've been doing a lot of indoor cycle training (approximately 8 hrs/week ) and I'm wondering if being in a stationary position with my index fingers wrapped around the shifter hoods may be a potential cause.

Internet searches point to Raynaud's or carpel tunnel as possibilities.

Has anyone here experienced something similar and might suggest what may be going on.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Onset of Numbness in Left Index Finger [rayman54] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vibration white finger may also be a candidate although it's also often linked to cold. have you any background with heavy use of power tools or other vibration causing equipment. I presume neither your trainer nor the car steering wheel were vibrating significantly?!
Last edited by: Ai_1: Jan 30, 20 8:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One or two tips of my fingers go numb every couple months. It usually occurs when it is cold, but can also happen in the summer. I just tuck my hand between my legs or under my armpit to warm it up and it usually goes away.
Last edited by: jimatbeyond: Jan 30, 20 8:20
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Onset of Numbness in Left Index Finger [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks,

No vibration experiences that would seem to fit the criteria.

It was my entire finger, not just the tip. It was noticeably white, very cold, and tingly/numb. I tried wiggling the fingers, arm windmills, and massage of the finger. I also tried warming the finger. It eventually subsided and now feels good, but I need to make sure nothing significant is going on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a numb index finger. It started with a cervical disc issue. Had disc replacement a year ago and it remains numb about 50% of the time even after the surgery. I'm told the nerve may regenerate eventually or it may not. Any symptoms down the arm?
Quote Reply
Re: Sudden Onset of Numbness in Left Index Finger [SSMinnow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No arm issues. It was actually a little more than just numbness, The affected finger not only felt numb, but it felt like it was swollen and felt stiff and cold. I was afraid that there might be some type of clot or something else that was impinging blood flow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rayman54 wrote:
Thanks,

No vibration experiences that would seem to fit the criteria.

It was my entire finger, not just the tip. It was noticeably white, very cold, and tingly/numb. I tried wiggling the fingers, arm windmills, and massage of the finger. I also tried warming the finger. It eventually subsided and now feels good, but I need to make sure nothing significant is going on.

It sounds like Raynaud's - a vasospasm.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Raynaud’s – like this. Get it all the time from cold water swimming. A few times doing basically nothing, but I think it’s the same mechanism. It’s always been temporary.

Proud member of FISHTWITCH: doing a bit more than fish exercise now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
'halfspeed' beat me to it, but I'll second Raynaud's syndrome.

I've had it for ~10 years now. It can happen randomly in the winter, but is normally brought on by cold or exposed hands in the wind. It kinda sucks for cold weather riding as I loose sensation in my fingers and then it's painful when the capillaries open back up (when warmed up). I do find that running in the cold is ok though as the movement of my arms seems to get the circulation going.

Apparently it's not all that uncommon and affects almost 10% of us.

Time to find some high quality mitts!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sometimes when a car gets too close to me my middle finger goes numb and fly up in the air by itself.
Quote Reply