Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ?
Quote | Reply
If you went, curious to hear feedback about it. Mostly to see if I should consider it for next year, not because I want you to give me all of the things you learned without paying for, or taking the time to go. Getting that out there just in case.
Quote Reply
Re: Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ? [Andres] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the L1 coaching clinic then Endurance Exchange.

This was a new model with a lot more hands on teaching work for Level 1. With > half my life spent coaching there really wasn't anything new, revolutionary etc for me there. We did a lot of work with the people sitting for their Level 3. Some of them were rather awesome and some were less inspiring.

We also got to work with some of the project podium kids. That was good, for me anyway, although some of the people who had just started coaching seemed a bit overwhelmed about telling some of the top ranked US athletes they were swimming lazy during warm up

Endurance Exchange - I'll be the first to admit I was skeptical and the first to admit it was extremely worth it.

In fact I'm kicking myself for not attending last year although iirc I had athletes in town training that week. Some of the presentations were weak or not geared appropriately for the audience and other presentations blew my socks off from a knowledge & coaching standpoint.

On the whole if you've not been coaching and want to get certified you may find some value in L1. If you've been coaching a long time the value came from talking strategy/race tactics/training with the Project Podium kids.

If you're in the industry EE is worth it. For the networking, meeting people & for the knowledge gains

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was there and I agree - it exceeded my expectations and I plan to go back again next year. Combining TBI, the RD and coaching training, the Hall of Fame banquet and the other sessions all worked really well. Plus I saw a lot of old friends and acquaintances and met lots of new folks - always a big plus in my opinion. My understanding was that over 600 people attended, far exceeding the initial expectations of about 400 attendees. Kudos to the folks who pulled this together.

Live long and surf!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well worth it and will only get better. Think of it like getting slowtwitch power certified at Inter Bike. We are going to see more and more manufacturers there is my bet. Plus it was a great location, time of year, and some things to geek out on.
Quote Reply
Re: Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ? [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
600 people is massive for an industry event, that's good news then.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Andres wrote:
600 people is massive for an industry event, that's good news then.

What was this and where was it?
Quote Reply
Re: Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ? [Giant Steps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Giant Steps wrote:
I was there and I agree - it exceeded my expectations and I plan to go back again next year. Combining TBI, the RD and coaching training, the Hall of Fame banquet and the other sessions all worked really well. Plus I saw a lot of old friends and acquaintances and met lots of new folks - always a big plus in my opinion. My understanding was that over 600 people attended, far exceeding the initial expectations of about 400 attendees. Kudos to the folks who pulled this together.

i just downloaded the attendee list and it was at 588. we capped it at 600. my guess is that we hit 600; the thing is updated every week-beginning and it wasn't updated after the monday prior to the thursday conference start.

we sent out a survey to attendees, maybe a week ago? you probably got it? we'll see what folks say. of course the ONLY thing i saw was the stuff we did wrong, because that's the way my diseased mind rolls.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was kind of expecting a daily recap with pictures and text, sort of like what y'all did with Interbike.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: Who went to the triathlon thing recently in AZ? [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hydrosloth wrote:
I was kind of expecting a daily recap with pictures and text, sort of like what y'all did with Interbike.

we're going to do a fair bit of editorial. but, delayed a bit (obviously).

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I went - 2nd time for me.

As a manufacturer - the market data presentation, social media presentations (particularly about some ways to use Strava) and the opportunity to meet so many coaches and other manufacturers is of great value to me.

As a triathlete, there were a ton of great presentations that were valuable to me - my favorites were Jesse Thomas's presentation basically on how to live life (for him particularly balancing being an athlete, a husband/father and entrepreneur), James Morton's nutrition presentation (former team sky sports scientist - it might easy to dismiss him depending on your opinion of team sky but his presentation was fantastic) and Specialized's presentation on coupled wind tunnel/metabolic testing by Jesse Frank.

-------------
Ed O'Malley
www.VeloVetta.com
Founder of VeloVetta Cycling Shoes
Instagram • Facebook
Quote Reply