Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

First 50K
Quote | Reply
I pulled the trigger and signed up for my first 50K, 2 Parks in Leonard, MI, on June 6th. Been running between 25-35 miles a week since Oct. 1st and it had been going pretty well. 10 days ago I ran on a snowy icy day and am now recovering from an adductor strain, so I have been off running and have been rehabbing and swimming. In this time of frustration while healing, looking for some advice/recommendations on things I need to focus on during training. Little background, I have 6 HIMs, 1 IM, 1 stand alone Marathon, a bunch of half marathons, and a bunch of sprints under my belt but those are all, except for one Half Marathon, 10+ years ago.

Give me some things to think about.
Quote Reply
Re: First 50K [sgoehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Embrace the hike, gets lots of vert, dirt, and "time on feet" in training, forget about road paces that you're used to and measure your long run in hours not miles, and drink beer at the finish line. I find 50K trail ultras to be much easier on the body than a fast road marathon, and the vibe infinitely more fun.

Just keep ramping up slowly once you're healed and you'll be in great shape for a June race.

-------
Anders
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You'll be fine. I've done two 50m races and the feeling of the IM marathon is comparable to the tail end of those. A 50k is basically just extending out the feeling of the last 3-5m of the marathon for another six. Which is to say that yes, it's hard, but it's not a fundamentally different event. The races you've done show you know how to train; stay consistent and work up slowly, of course. As always, remember the importance of the negative split. Work on taking in plenty of calories, just like in your IM days; don't let the last 4-8mi be a bonked slog.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Last edited by: justinhorne: Jan 28, 20 12:49
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How much vert? I echo the sentiment of time on the feet. If you can get ahold of a standing desk at work, I feel like that helped my short foray into ultrarunning.

Also, get a hydration pack that is comfortable and won't chafe, both at running speed, powerhiking speed, and walking speed (I wore a pack once that was fine while running but would chafe the insides of my arms like crazy while walking). Depending on the vert/whether you'll be using poles, it's also nice to have a pack with straps to carry your poles when they're not needed.

Also, in the days following the race, do NOT trust any farts.

Darren
https://www.strava.com/athletes/12385497
Quote Reply
Re: First 50K [vonagut] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Based on my rough route marking on Strava is about 2300 feet of vert total.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Climbing and especially descending. I was surprised at how much descending beat the crap out of me during my first 25k so I put effort into this aspect and went much better in my first 50k. You might consider incline treadmill walks or steep hikes as well because you'll more than likely be doing some of this during your event. And, like others have said, have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: First 50K [AMC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
AMC wrote:
Embrace the hike, gets lots of vert, dirt, and "time on feet" in training, forget about road paces that you're used to and measure your long run in hours not miles, and drink beer at the finish line. I find 50K trail ultras to be much easier on the body than a fast road marathon, and the vibe infinitely more fun.

Just keep ramping up slowly once you're healed and you'll be in great shape for a June race.

Agree with almost all of that, but I usually get handed whiskey when I cross the line, not beer. Take whatever they give you and enjoy!

Too old to go pro but doing it anyway
http://instagram.com/tgarvey4
Quote Reply