Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike.
Quote | Reply
Hello all!

I'm shopping for a new time trial bike after taking a few years off due to injuries (nasty sport bike crash on race track). For the third time I had doctors tell me that my riding days were over, once again I've proved them wrong. I have managed to get older, fatter, and slower than I ever was before. In the past I raced on a BMC TM01 and loved it. I just can't justify spending that much cash this time knowing how little I will ride and race.

So, some of the bikes I'm considering are the Giant Trinity Advanced Pro 2, the BMC Timemachine 02 Two, Argon E-117 Tri, Fuji Norcom Straight 2.3 (2015 NOS frameset) and the Specialized Shiv Elite. Unfortunately no shops in my area have any of these so I will be traveling a few hours to make a purchase, unless I am able to find a shop that ships.

Anyone have any thoughts on the bikes mentioned? Any that I should definitely avoid?

Just to clarify, I won't be doing any triathlons, I will never be able to run.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike. [lowcel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's a fairly large range of bikes that have will fit somewhat differently.

Assuming that your injuries are fairly serious (back injuries? Knee/hip?) and will probably have some unique biomechanical compensations to take those into account- I'd really recommend working with a good fitter before buying the bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike. [davidalone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had a total of seven knee surgeries and two ankle surgeries. My last surgery they removed bone and cartilage from my knee and put it in my ankle. Luckily my hips and back are okay.

Unfortunately the closest bike fitter is probably three or four hours away from me.
Last edited by: lowcel: Jan 28, 20 5:59
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Those bikes are all in the $3K range, so they are above the low cost point and offer a lot of brand options. If I were in your shoes... potential fit issues and no opportunity to do a fit before making the bike choice, I would shop for a bike with the greatest fit range. Somewhere on the main page, I thought Dan had compiled a chart that illustrates bike fit ranges by model, but maybe I am imagining things. I cannot find it now. There are a few fitters on the forum who do have these data and may be able to recommend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Been thru the same process. Yes, fit first as you will hear many times on this post. I ended up with a P2. Easier to adjust than the two "used" superbikes (P5 & Trek Speed Concept) that I tried and never fit me. The "entry" priced tri bikes are generally easier to adjust and plenty of fast enough for most of us new to the sport. I upgraded mine to Di2 and Enve 7.8's. Very happy with it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If fit is a large concern, i'd recommend getting any bike that gives you the most fit options.

No integrated proprietary stem (like the Giant or Canyon bikes). You can get a positive stem angle to raise your bars, or get a negative angle to keep it low if you feel good. Run of the mill base bar with clip on profile design aero bars that you can add risers to too (more risers = more pro).

At a glance, it looks like the time machine and argon checks both of those boxes.

Also, are you against getting a nice road bike that can adopt a respectable aerobar setup? If we're being honest, a TT's bike time savings over a road bike with aerobars is marginal at best. You could spend that extra money and get a sweet electronic group set instead, or nice carbon wheels. I'd be willing to bet that a road bike with aero bars and deep wheels would beat out a stock TT bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike. [ChandlerMyles] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChandlerMyles wrote:
If fit is a large concern, i'd recommend getting any bike that gives you the most fit options.

No integrated proprietary stem (like the Giant or Canyon bikes). You can get a positive stem angle to raise your bars, or get a negative angle to keep it low if you feel good. Run of the mill base bar with clip on profile design aero bars that you can add risers to too (more risers = more pro).

At a glance, it looks like the time machine and argon checks both of those boxes.

Also, are you against getting a nice road bike that can adopt a respectable aerobar setup? If we're being honest, a TT's bike time savings over a road bike with aerobars is marginal at best. You could spend that extra money and get a sweet electronic group set instead, or nice carbon wheels. I'd be willing to bet that a road bike with aero bars and deep wheels would beat out a stock TT bike.

Thank you. I already have two nice road bikes and a cross bike. My main road bike is a Parlee with di2 and zipp 303's so I have that covered. ;)

From years of racing in the past, I do know that even a low level TT bike is much faster than a road bike. Plus, I currently only have three bikes, that is a problem. :D
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You clearly have tons of experience, injury induced complex fit needs and probably a massive bin of spare parts. To me that says you are an ideal candidate for buying a cheap used P2/P3 and building it up into your ideal TT bike. I would start with a P2/P3 because they are very adjustable, can be built into top shelf rigs and are widely available. In very few cases will an off-the-shelf super-bike be faster in the real world than a P3 which has been carefully set up to meet the needs of the rider.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lowcel wrote:
I've had a total of seven knee surgeries and two ankle surgeries. My last surgery they removed bone and cartilage from my knee and put it in my ankle. Luckily my hips and back are okay.

Unfortunately the closest bike fitter is probably three or four hours away from me.

Take a day and make the trip.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike. [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
You clearly have tons of experience, injury induced complex fit needs and probably a massive bin of spare parts. To me that says you are an ideal candidate for buying a cheap used P2/P3 and building it up into your ideal TT bike. I would start with a P2/P3 because they are very adjustable, can be built into top shelf rigs and are widely available. In very few cases will an off-the-shelf super-bike be faster in the real world than a P3 which has been carefully set up to meet the needs of the rider.

That is certainly an option. I have pretty much everything to build a bike except a crankset laying around. I would probably just swap the Quarq on my roadbike back and forth anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the best thing to do is to start with the aerobars and work backwards... operating under the restriction that you will make smart and aero bar and frame choices. Once you know what bar you want, you can then select the frame based on your fit, making sure you get the right frame size in the process. With good stem and cable and spacer / riser management you can get close to a "super bike" on a budget.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike. [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All of the above makes great sense. Just wanted to let you know half of TT/tri bikes have already gone to disc brakes so buying a rim brake bike might be obsolete in a generation with no advancements in rim brake wheelsets. Still waiting for Giant, Trek, Canyon, and Scott to release newer disc brake versions. Many think it makes no major aero difference which brakes you choose, but disc brakes perform better regarding stopping and modulation. IMO, Giant is probably the best value since they are the most efficient manufacturer; they make their own carbon fiber tow where everyone else buys their carbon. New P Series looks fast minus that exposed front brake hose.
Quote Reply
Re: Need help picking out a budget Time Trial bike. [Ttakata73] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Worrying about obsolescence makes no sense, especially if you're on a tight budget. Even if rim brake wheels aren't being made in 10 years (and I bet they will be) you'll still be able to buy good used ones.

Important items on my list (besides aero drag of the frame/fork of course):
1) Non-integrated bars and front end, so you have better fit options and can pick good bars and brake.
2) Ability to run threaded 68mm BSA BB. Can do a low Q setup.
3) Decent tire clearance... at least 23s on a i18 rim.

Some bikes to look for:
1) Old P2s, P3s, P4s.
2) Newer QR PR3
3) Maybe a Specialized Transition

Good bars that aren't too expensive:
1)Profile Design Aeria Evo AL
2)Felt Bayonet 3 (better with a basebar that has a narrow center)
Quote Reply