Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Ironman Liuzhou 70.3
Quote | Reply
Likely cancelled because of novel corona virus outbreak? It's relatively close to Wuhan
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would suggest there will be a lot of races affected by the current situation.

The Tour of Hainan was cancelled yesterday
https://roadbikeaction.com/...avirus-cycling-2020/

There are lots of triathlons in China now not the least of which is poor Challenge Wuhan which was supposed to kick off this year in May.I doubt that will happen.Wait and see for their other China race which is a full distance in October.
https://www.challenge-family.com/race/challenge-wuhan/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine the 70.3 Bangsaen race would be under threat too? This thing's going to get worse before it gets better and Thailand has a fair few cases too.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [Jigsy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What do you think about Ironman Taiwan?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [enricobraglia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Better watch what happens with 70.3 Taiwan - just 6 weeks away, so I'd say it's probably on the chopping board. This won't be over by then.

But Challenge Taiwan in late April might still be okay.

My race site: https://racesandplaces.wixsite.com/racesandplaces
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jigsy wrote:
I imagine the 70.3 Bangsaen race would be under threat too? This thing's going to get worse before it gets better and Thailand has a fair few cases too.

Nah I reckon the Bangsaen race will go ahead as it is mostly locals.The ITU Asia Cup Sprint in Macau has been cancelled but the ITU Asia Cup in Laem Mae Pim,Rayong (90k from Bangsaen) is still on for the end of Feb at the moment.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree Bangsaen won't be cancelled but foreigners should be aware Bangkok is a huge arrival and departure airport with massive numbers of Chinese.

I would imagine that some international athletes might choose not to race here as a result this year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have requested a refund and withdrawal from the 70.3 Taitung, Taiwan in March 15th. No news or update regarding the status of that race....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [jeraldban] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As of today, Feb 4, Taiwan has had 10 cases of the coronavirus. 9 of the 10 patients are virtually fully recovered and awaiting laboratory confirmation they are no longer contagious. Another 462 people who were in close contact with these patients were quarantined and remain so, and none so far have presented symptoms or tested positive for the virus.

The health situation in Taiwan versus China is entirely different. Taiwan has a very extensive public health system that has fought SARs.

Further, as more evidence emerges, it is looking increasingly that the coronavirus is less dangerous than initial data suggested. As for the concerns about the underreporting of cases in China, that is a given. The cases outside of China, however, have reported only 1 death among over 100 individuals with laboratory confirmation of the illness, further supporting the theory of many public health experts/epidemiologists that the disease may be no more lethal than other common respiratory infections we already face. Further, there are likely more cases of people with the virus, but with only mild or no symptoms, they did not seek treatment.

To put this in perspective, within Taiwan, where the global panic about this disease is in full effect too, exactly no one died from it this past week, but 11 have died from H1N1 flu (hand and mouth disease) in Taiwan. US influenza statistics are in the order of 15million infections since October and 8000 deaths in that period too. We are flipping out and cancelling everything over that either.

In China, events will almost surely be cancelled as there is simply no way of getting to them right now even if it were perfectly safe to do so. In addition, medical staff are already stretched to the limit fighting the virus and don't have time to worry about the blisters, cramps and perhaps drowning swimmers in triathlon.

In Taiwan, officials have cancelled the Kaoshiung Marathon that was set to run this Feb 8. 50/50 on how the panic affects the 70.3 in March, and perhaps too early to tell for the April 12 Ironman Taiwan and April 25 Challenge Taiwan.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [jeraldban] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jeraldban wrote:
I have requested a refund and withdrawal from the 70.3 Taitung, Taiwan in March 15th. No news or update regarding the status of that race....

Ironman 70.3 Taiwan has moved in September, I think that Ironman Taiwan will move too
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [Yeti racer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bummer I was planning to do Xiamen in November. I wonder if things will change by then.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I imagine both Shanghai in October and Xiamen in November will be ok - at least I hope so as I'm based in Shanghai and they're my local races.

I am surprised they haven't cancelled Luizhou, registration is still open on the website. Hopefully it'll be postponed till later in the year (summer months too hot/humid?) But I suspect it will be cancelled this year
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [AndyM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration for all these races are going to hurt badly. People aren't going to be excited about visiting the area any time soon.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [vanchize] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Received the following response from Ironman today when I asked about the current status of the race...

Quote:
Dear 2020 IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou Athlete

We appreciate you reaching out and sharing your concerns.

We are aware of the evolving situation related to the coronavirus outbreak that reportedly originated in Wuhan, China.

As of now the 2020 IRONMAN Liuzhou is proceeding as planned and scheduled.

We are monitoring the situation closely and will be working with our local partners and the relevant government authorities to follow the measures dictated by national and international health agencies.

We ask you to stay updated with respect to impact of the outbreak in your location, follow governmental and agency recommendations to minimize risk, and follow any potential restrictions put in place. Anyone traveling for competition purposes should make themselves familiar with respective national and world health organization updates in those locations. As always, athletes should monitor their personal health appropriately and not race, or travel to, any event if they are unwell.

Further athlete communications regarding any changes to the event will be provided as additional information and details emerge.

For more information on the coronavirus,

please visit https://www.who.int/

Thank you,

The IRONMAN China Team
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Liuzhou 70.3 [AndyM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As has been well-publicized, the World Health Organization has recently declared a public health emergency of international concern as it relates to the global impact of the Coronavirus (COVID-19). In alignment with the Liuzhou city health guidelines and global travel restrictions, and with athlete health and safety is a primary concern, IRONMAN Officials have decided to postpone the IRONMAN 70.3 Liuzhou triathlon to 20 September 2020. Athletes that are registered for the event will receive an email with further details.
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause but greatly appreciate your understanding of this challenging situation.
Quote Reply