Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Moonrocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A Swedish friend told me that Absolut vodka will cure the flu. I tried it one night and it didn't work. Not much fun the next morning with a hangover and the flu.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sleeping in wet socks will cure the common cold.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Apollo71] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo71 wrote:

A friend of mine at the gym told me the other night that her mom said "Put Vick's Vapo-Rub on the bottoms of your feet, then wear socks to bed, and it will clear up a cold"

Um, no thanks

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:

A friend of mine at the gym told me the other night that her mom said "Put Vick's Vapo-Rub on the bottoms of your feet, then wear socks to bed, and it will clear up a cold"

Um, no thanks

I don’t think it cures a cold but it sure does help with the nighttime coughing! I totally put Vick’s and socks on my feet if I’m coughing at night. And if it doesn’t work please don’t tell me as I like the placebo effect :-)

Maybe mom do this because it’s advice given for young kids when there are not a lot of allowed options and they are miserable all night.
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [Furiosa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Furiosa wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:
I have a asthma so when I get sick it goes to my lungs and it takes a long time to kick. I have been told the reason I get lots of colds is because I eat meat or, when I was a vegetarian, because I didn’t. As a kid it was because I didn’t exercise enough, then as an adult because I exercised too much. I sleep too much/not enough. I need to cut out carbs and milk, or I’m run down because I don’t get enough. I need to take oregano oil/echinacea/vitamin C/kombucha ... whatever the latest trend is.

Generally the advice is given with a heavy does of judgement, as if getting sick is a moral failing in my part.

All of these contradictory pearls of wisdom, gleaned from both the magazine headlines at the supermarket checkout, or the evening news, or the internet, are why I stopped reading articles espousing the latest-and-greatest health news. I am still alive and not too fat or out of shape so I must be doing something right.

Dr Oz is a complete and utter fraud, but I find Daphne kinda hot

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Weird health advice people have given you. [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Furiosa wrote:
Alibabwa wrote:
I have a asthma so when I get sick it goes to my lungs and it takes a long time to kick. I have been told the reason I get lots of colds is because I eat meat or, when I was a vegetarian, because I didn’t. As a kid it was because I didn’t exercise enough, then as an adult because I exercised too much. I sleep too much/not enough. I need to cut out carbs and milk, or I’m run down because I don’t get enough. I need to take oregano oil/echinacea/vitamin C/kombucha ... whatever the latest trend is.

Generally the advice is given with a heavy does of judgement, as if getting sick is a moral failing in my part.

All of these contradictory pearls of wisdom, gleaned from both the magazine headlines at the supermarket checkout, or the evening news, or the internet, are why I stopped reading articles espousing the latest-and-greatest health news. I am still alive and not too fat or out of shape so I must be doing something right.

Dr Oz is a complete and utter fraud, but I find Daphne kinda hot

You should get your vision checked
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moonrocket wrote:
RandMart wrote:
Apollo71 wrote:

Um, no thanks

I don’t think it cures a cold but it sure does help with the nighttime coughing! I totally put Vick’s and socks on my feet if I’m coughing at night. And if it doesn’t work please don’t tell me as I like the placebo effect :-)

Maybe mom do this because it’s advice given for young kids when there are not a lot of allowed options and they are miserable all night.
This was the advice for babies/young kids because they are not smart enough to NOT put your hand in the vicks, and then touch their face. So the bottom of the feet was the place (and supposedly it was a good place for some reason that escapes me).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Step in horse shit to cure athletes foot
Quote Reply

Prev Next