Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Zipp 1080s -idiot proof inflation
Quote | Reply
My Zipp 1080s roll just fine but pumping them up us a hassle. Can never thread the extender on ok but struggle to get the presta valve valve to release when I start pumping.
What's the best superlong crackpipe,/ valve extender going?
Must work with both floor pump and CO2 canister.
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080s -idiot proof inflation [andrewintown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why can't you thread the valve extender on?
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080s -idiot proof inflation [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can thread the valve extender on but have a hell of a time breaking the seal on the valve when I start pumping. And yes the valve was unthreaded all the way on installation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My advice is to get a tube with a removable core and move the valve to the end of the extender
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080s -idiot proof inflation [nickag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:
My advice is to get a tube with a removable core and move the valve to the end of the extender

This is what you need to do
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andrewintown wrote:
My Zipp 1080s roll just fine but pumping them up us a hassle. Can never thread the extender on ok but struggle to get the presta valve valve to release when I start pumping.
What's the best superlong crackpipe,/ valve extender going?
Must work with both floor pump and CO2 canister.

The RVC option mentioned is your best long term fix. For your current thread on extenders you can typically use a long hex wrench in the size used to tight on the extender to push down the presta valve. This should allow you to inflate.
Last edited by: SummitAK: Jan 26, 20 9:03
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When you set up the valve extenders, do you unscrew the presta valves fully, and also lock the little nut? The locking part step is quite important.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickag wrote:

This ^

Anything else is mad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The 1080s shouldn't be any harder to use with an extender than any other deep wheel (ex. a 404). Some thoughts:

-Put teflon plumber's tape on the valve stem so the extender seals well. Put some on your spare tubes as well. This helps apply enough pressure when you start pumping to push the valve open.

-Make sure the valve nut is fully unscrewed, then crimp it (or a drop if super glue) to make sure it never screws closed.

-Use a thin allen wrench (or a paper clip) to depress/"crack" the valve and break the stiction before pumping.

-Consider removable core tubes and extenders that have their own valve out at the tip. This way you can crack the valve with your thumb.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Zipp 1080s -idiot proof inflation [Mario S] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been using regular valve extenders for about 30 years and have never had a problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Removable valve cores for dummies: if I get tubes with removable cores does that mean I need to ride with the extenders in, so that the valves have a ... valve?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes that's correct, the valve will now be on the end of the extender, so the extender needs to stay on the tube.

It sounds as though you are removing the valve extenders after inflating and then installing them again next time you need to inflate? If that is the case, it sounds like you're causing problems with the valve by trying to install the extenders each time you inflate.

Irrespective if you use tubes with removable cores or not, just leave the valve extenders on while you're riding.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you using something like this: https://www.topeak.com/...ta-valve-extender-xl ?

If so you need to switch to a design like this: https://www.zipp.com/...-presta-valve-tubes/

I have both types and they have different usage cases. The topeak design solves the 'oh shit' moment when you find the tube you have isn't long enough for the wheels you ride. They are a lifesaver if you are leading/helping on riding group rides as it happens more often than you might think. Medium depth box alloys are especially bad culprits as newer riders don't realise they need tubes with slightly longer stems. The topeak design can also help improve aerodynamics when removed but they will break if used regularly.

The more standard design based around the removal valve core is the better fit and forget system. Install with Teflon tape and its basically fit and forget. The zipp ones I referenced are particularly expensive but it provides the right length measurement for the 1080.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I'm reading your question correctly, then I may have the same issue that I solved. I was having trouble airing up my tires with the valve extender presta only, so I just bought one of these to keep ON my air pump, and I just put it on my valve extender every time and everything pumps up a lot easier.

- Jordan

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
andrewintown wrote:
Removable valve cores for dummies: if I get tubes with removable cores does that mean I need to ride with the extenders in, so that the valves have a ... valve?

No, it is not required.
Quote Reply