Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Flying with an ebike
Quote | Reply
So, I purchased the Specialized Creo for my wife and now she wants to take it on a cycling trip to Tucson. A quick internet search says most airlines do not allow batteries >160Wh. The Creo has a 320Wh internal battery and a 160Wh accessory battery (goes in the back bottle cage to extend allowable travel distance).

I'm going to check with Delta (and TSA) but I'm not sure I always trust what they tell me, especially TSA........I've had TSA tell me I could take a bike tool with me on one flight, and then tell me I had to throw it out or put in my checked bags on another flight. This is the part that concerns me the most. It seems they make up their rules as they go along.

My plan is to see if the local bike shop can remove the internal battery and try to just use the accessory battery (that fits in the back bottle holder) for travel.

Anyone else fly with an ebike and can offer advice??? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with an ebike [EyeRunMD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve just been riding with someone with the same bike as you who flew to Adelaide for the Tour Down Under. He did as you said, removed the internal battery and used the accessory battery in the bottle holder.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was flying in mainland Europe this last week. I happened to notice at 2 airports the signage at check-ins saying NO e-bikes with batteries. (I recall it as it stood out to me / pricked my interest as I'd not thought of it before).
So beware.

Hope you get a clear answer off the airline - and in writing !!
Best of luck.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would rent a bike at the destination.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with an ebike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
I would rent a bike at the destination.

That would be great if we could actually find a place that rents road ebikes and not the hybrid kind most places offer. She used one of the hybrid type ebikes, last summer, and it felt awkward to her. After she road an actual road ebike, she was enjoying the ride so much more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe rent a road bike.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with an ebike [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Maybe rent a road bike.

We may have to, and just ride the flatter bike paths around Tucson.

She loves riding but her knees are giving her trouble nowadays so it's more and more painful to climb hills. When she rode an ebike, last year, she thought it was like magic how she could now ride almost pain free and still enjoy being outside riding with me. She doesn't compete/race. She just rides because it's her hobby and its what she loves to do. I want her to enjoy it as long as she can so I'm trying to figure out what to do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you flying in from? Within the US? Maybe look at shipping the bike ahead of time to one of the Tucson bike shops. I'm sure there are a few that would help you out in receiving the bike and reassembling it so it's ready to go when you arrive. Cost of shipping would negate rental bike fees.
Quote Reply
Re: Flying with an ebike [erik+] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
erik+ wrote:
Where are you flying in from? Within the US? Maybe look at shipping the bike ahead of time to one of the Tucson bike shops. I'm sure there are a few that would help you out in receiving the bike and reassembling it so it's ready to go when you arrive. Cost of shipping would negate rental bike fees.

That's a good suggestion. My wife thinks it may costs a fortune to insure it thru FedEx or UPS because the Creo value is quite expensive
Quote Reply