Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wetsuit Fit- is this normal?
Quote | Reply
I recently just received my Roka Maverick X wetsuit, and thus the task of wrestling into it...
At first, it seemed impossible that my hips could fit through the waist opening, I had to stretch the opening a fair bit, and was almost convinced it may tear.... but after a few wiggles and coaxing, I could get them in. Getting into the arms sleeves was not as challenging as fitting my hips in.
Zipping up was challenging, took 3 tries before I could zip it up. Arms felt good and I tried flinging them around, they are amazingly free to move. However, the back zipper was very snug and I could hardly bend forwards at the waist. Whenever I pinch a bit of fabric with my fingers, it’s almost creating a “vacuum” seal.
Question: Are all of the above normal, especially not being able to bend much at the waist, due to the very snug fit?
I tried this while dry, in an air-conditioned room, in my underwear. I do not have my trisuit with me, as I am traveling, so I won’t be able to tell if having a trisuit under the wetsuit will make it more challenging or easier.
Please do advise, I have worn scuba diving wetsuits, but none of them came this close to being as snug.
Last edited by: syko.su: Jan 24, 20 9:46
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [syko.su] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I’m not sure how you’re feeling with “hardly bend forward at the waist” since it’s sort of a subjective statement. Can you touch your toes or close? The rest of the fit doesn’t sound unusual. And it will loosen up once you get in the water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Literally, could hardly bend at the waist. If standing tall is 0deg, with the waist at origin, at maximum I could bend up to 10 degrees. So, no, nowhere close to knees, let alone toes.

That was the most alarming aspect to the wetsuit fit, and wonder if this is the norm, seeing that the swimming position does not require a lot of flexibility for bending forwards?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That’s not normal for me. Maybe others will chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Call ROKA and ask for advice

That’s Not normal for me either

Arms yes takes a while

Waist and hips no. Not in 6 different brands over 35 years

Are your hips large for your height and weight?

Are you a man or woman?

They have wetsuits specific for men and women
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife has the same fit issues with wetsuits. Hips/butt is a struggle and upper body is easier to pull on. Be very careful with Roka wetsuits, in our experience they rip a lot easier than 2XU or TYR. She only races in her Roka now and does her OWS in her old suits to keep the Roka from more rips.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It kind of depends. In the old days I could and did wear suits like that, but no more. Now I go for the largest size that still clings to my body, but isn't oppressively tight, or too loose. In your case I would size up one, and I like that I also actually have more rubber to float higher too.

I just got a couple new swim/run wetsuits for an upcoming race, first one exactly as you described, the other seemed perfect. The first one was what the size chart indicated, but no way I'm running in such a tight fitting suit. And I have worn a lot of suits in my career, so have it pretty dialed what is best. Size charts just cannot account for things like hips, chest sizes, and other differences at similar height and weights, so that is where we have to tweak them for best results..
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Female here, and an almost balanced hourglass figure ;) ;)

Have sent Roka an email, and received a generic response on how to wear the wetsuit.

* also a correction, have not tried the wetsuit with a TRIsuit on, so not sure if that’ll make the fit better or worse.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [SiRcivic27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That’s almost a relief to know - but is that the norm with the ladies or we are the hip-bustin’ outliers?

I don’t live in the US, and exchanging will be a pain the the wide ass; especially if this current fit is how it’s meant to be.....
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not normal x3. You should certainly be somewhat restricted but not nearly as much as you describe. Then again, I’m a male with a skinny butt. 1 size up will probably do the trick, but contact Roka.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also an hourglass and no, that is not a normal way for a wetsuit to feel. Roka has never fit me - it just the wrong shape for my hips. Even at my skinniest (as in, no fat in the ass), the width of my hip bone structure doesn't fit Roka cuts. I just have more mass from the belly button to the knees than can squeeze into that shape.

You CAN swim in it if you have full range of motion through the upper body. You might just look like a penguin as you enter and exit the water. Over the last 25 years I have had numerous bad wetsuit buys and just swam in them anyway. Once you are in the water you will know if your motion is restricted. If you still have your stroke form in the water (and if you can't return it), then just wear it until it dies and then get a different one. If you are fixing to have a perfectly fitting wetsuit, then do what it takes to return it and find one that fits.

I had one wetsuit around 10 years ago that was so restrictive through my core that I felt like I was wearing a plank. I could barely get a kick from my hip started. In the end, I used that fit to fine tune my body rotation and ended up appreciating that I had it. I twist less as a result.

I think the most accommodating wetsuit brand I have worn for my shape has been Xterra. Next up would be Zoot. Orca and Aquasphere haven't really fit me well ever.

I currently swim in three different wetsuits - an xterra for uninteresting training in not-freezing water, a TYR for cold training (water is around 51F right now), and then a 2XU for racing (because it is my newest and least destroyed). They all fit differently and oddly, my xterra fits best, but isn't what I want to race in right now. It is just old. I have a few wetsuits I'm eyeing, but won't pull the trigger until I can try one on first (or guaranteed fit returns).

Good luck to you....

Hillary Trout
San Luis Obispo, CA

Your trip is short. Make the most of it.
https://www.slogoing.net/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same suit, and that does not sound normal in terms of being able to bend over. Although I have the opposite problem of having an easy time with legs/hips and struggle getting the sleeves over my arms.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
syko.su wrote:
I recently just received my Roka Maverick X wetsuit, and thus the task of wrestling into it...
At first, it seemed impossible that my hips could fit through the waist opening, I had to stretch the opening a fair bit, and was almost convinced it may tear.... but after a few wiggles and coaxing, I could get them in. Getting into the arms sleeves was not as challenging as fitting my hips in.
Zipping up was challenging, took 3 tries before I could zip it up. Arms felt good and I tried flinging them around, they are amazingly free to move. However, the back zipper was very snug and I could hardly bend forwards at the waist. Whenever I pinch a bit of fabric with my fingers, it’s almost creating a “vacuum” seal.
Question: Are all of the above normal, especially not being able to bend much at the waist, due to the very snug fit?
I tried this while dry, in an air-conditioned room, in my underwear. I do not have my trisuit with me, as I am traveling, so I won’t be able to tell if having a trisuit under the wetsuit will make it more challenging or easier.
Please do advise, I have worn scuba diving wetsuits, but none of them came this close to being as snug.

How often do you touch your toes when swimming?

That was the standard question I would ask for 10 years to any customer who, when trying on a wetsuit, bent forward.

Everything you have described is normal. A wetsuit SHOULD be hard to put on, but easy to get off, especially when wet.

I can't do up my own zip - normally if you can do that easily, you are in a size too big. I always need to ask for help zipping up when I swim in my suit alone at the local beach.

Our standard motto was that if it feels really comfortable on land, it is likely a size too big. It sounds like yours is perfect. Just make sure you have it pulled up nice & snug in the crutch before you try to put the top half on.
Quote Reply
Re: Wetsuit Fit- is this normal? [NAB777] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most of the responses you will get here will be from men (including me) so it's hard to provide advice. But that "vacuum" effect you feel on dry land is normal. You need to get in the water to see how it feels. One thing I learnt is that when you get in the water, you actually need to let water into the suit to make it fit. When I get in the water I lift the collar a bit and let water flow in through the top of the suit, and also lift the cuffs on the arms and let water flow in. This loosens the suit a bit and lets it sit more naturally on your body. Best advice I can give is to get it into the water the way it was designed to be used as dry land is not the best way to assess a wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice. Now, I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for updates.

After a few weeks of being away, I finally got the chance to try the Roka wetsuit on a pool swim (returns still possible after swim try - excellent customer service, as everyone keeps preaching). I've also read through all the links (thanks again SlowTwitchers, you guys rock), and made sure I put on the wetsuit correctly.

Pros: Very buoyant, felt very fast. Wetsuit insulates from the cold pool water.

Cons:
- Felt somewhat restricted around the chest and neck, despite getting under the shower and letting water into the wetsuit before start. Felt even slightly nauseous a few minutes into the swim.
- Shoulders starting feeling sore 100m into the swim - not sure if this is because of the tightness of the wetsuit or the trisuit. Trisuit wasn't bunched up underneath, though.

My questions are (bearing in mind, this is my first swim in a swimming-specific wetsuit):
- Is the shoulder getting sore normal and to be expected from a snugly fitted wetsuit? Isn't what Roka Mav X all about freedom of arm movement; or *some* restriction is to be expected?
- I am comfortably in a S size range - If I go one size up, that will be a Medium and meant for 54-56kg (I am 49kg); also I am a petite size (162cm) so Tall sizes won't work for me as well.
- Are these just telltale signs that perhaps this particular type of wetsuit just isn't right for me, and I just have to suck it up for the duration of a 70.3 swim?

I have emailed Roka, but they mostly gave me a generic answer (how to properly put on a wetsuit etc), and knowing you guys will give me a more realistic feedback.

Quite in a dilemma, and would appreciate all suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
syko.su wrote:
Thanks again everyone for the tips and advice. Now, I know you've all been waiting with bated breath for updates.

After a few weeks of being away, I finally got the chance to try the Roka wetsuit on a pool swim (returns still possible after swim try - excellent customer service, as everyone keeps preaching). I've also read through all the links (thanks again SlowTwitchers, you guys rock), and made sure I put on the wetsuit correctly.

Pros: Very buoyant, felt very fast. Wetsuit insulates from the cold pool water.

Cons:
- Felt somewhat restricted around the chest and neck, despite getting under the shower and letting water into the wetsuit before start. Felt even slightly nauseous a few minutes into the swim.
- Shoulders starting feeling sore 100m into the swim - not sure if this is because of the tightness of the wetsuit or the trisuit. Trisuit wasn't bunched up underneath, though.

My questions are (bearing in mind, this is my first swim in a swimming-specific wetsuit):
- Is the shoulder getting sore normal and to be expected from a snugly fitted wetsuit? Isn't what Roka Mav X all about freedom of arm movement; or *some* restriction is to be expected?
- I am comfortably in a S size range - If I go one size up, that will be a Medium and meant for 54-56kg (I am 49kg); also I am a petite size (162cm) so Tall sizes won't work for me as well.
- Are these just telltale signs that perhaps this particular type of wetsuit just isn't right for me, and I just have to suck it up for the duration of a 70.3 swim?

I have emailed Roka, but they mostly gave me a generic answer (how to properly put on a wetsuit etc), and knowing you guys will give me a more realistic feedback.

Quite in a dilemma, and would appreciate all suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I own a Roka Comp and it's the sh!t! I love my wetsuit. It's way better than the crappy Xterra Vortex I used to wear. It's less buoyant because it's not as thick but it is a better suit. There is less neoprene in the shoulders. It's very thin and flexible. If you're not used to wearing a wetsuit it is natural for your shoulders to fatigue quicker due to the rotation being more restricted. Once you get used to it, I find it assists my pull because the tautness tightens up my stroke. In terms of sizing, it seems you're in the correct size and likely need to acclimate to the fit by swimming in it a few times. I personally wouldn't size up based on your measurements as it could result in a sloppy fit. As far as shoulder fatigue, a lot of people opt for a sleeveless to improve range of motion even though a full sleeve is going to be the faster suit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you swim slower with the wetsuit in the pool due to early shoulder fatigue, the suit is too small and restricting your arms. This happened to me with my first wetsuit that was fitted in a trishop by a very experienced fitter with a good reputation. He insisted it was a 'good tight fit', but it was so tight that my shoulder wore out after 200 yards. Putting that wetsuit on took me from a slow beginner swimmer that had no problems at all swimming 3000 yds straight, to barely surviving 300 yards due to early shoulder fatigue.

It wasn't until 3 failed OWS later (including a friggin' race where I had to backstroke 3/4 of the swim due to shoulder fatigue and I don't backstroke ever!) that I said F-this, and did a group OWS in the ocean with no wetsuit - and had zero problems at all. Got a new larger wetsuit from Xterra, and it's been smooth sailing since. That fitter obviously got it totally wrong, it does happen.

I wouldn't say I feel 'free' in the Xterra, and I definitely notice some shoulder restrictive feeling in my first swim, but it doesn't slow me down or limit my distance in the pool, and for sure, if I do another pool swim shortly after in the next few days, that restrictive feeling is gone.

Go time yourself in the pool and swim some distances like 400s-800s at paces near race pace to see if you suffer early fatigue due to shoulder restriction. If you do, you'll need a different fitting suit.

Oh, and just because nobody's mentioned it, but it's obvious and important, make sure that wetsuit it pulled all the way up your body, like wedgie-tight if you're getting shoulder restriction.
Last edited by: lightheir: Feb 11, 20 9:42
Quote Reply