Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heya,

Very sorry to sound dismissive of veganism. That wasn't my intention and I 100% agree with the ethical reasons.

But the carbon footprint reasons are very murky...

First of all the 'longshadow report' which all of this climate impact stuff is based on has been redacted. Even by the author Henning Steinfeld himself. Contribution to climate change because of agriculture is 14%. 9% livestock.

Now, if you're an organic vegan that means you need even more animals to fertilise the soil. Which means more farmland, more methane, yada yada. You're not killing them for food, so they stick around and you're increasing the problem. If you're non-organic that's a lot of pesticides, with unknown health risks and fossil fuels to make, distribute them etc.

And when it comes to calories - I need about 3.5k a day. I'll need to get a lot of those calories from fats on a vegan diet. Avocados, nuts, etc only grow in a few places, require a lot of water, need to be transported around the world anyway.

This is already getting too long, but you catch my drift. It's more complicated than that.

Buy local, eat ethical and not too much. That's probably what's best for the planet. But the farming industry is horrendous. Agree.

Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [Smokeythebandit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Smokeythebandit wrote:
Heya,

Very sorry to sound dismissive of veganism. That wasn't my intention and I 100% agree with the ethical reasons.

But the carbon footprint reasons are very murky...

First of all the 'longshadow report' which all of this climate impact stuff is based on has been redacted. Even by the author Henning Steinfeld himself. Contribution to climate change because of agriculture is 14%. 9% livestock.

Now, if you're an organic vegan that means you need even more animals to fertilise the soil. Which means more farmland, more methane, yada yada. You're not killing them for food, so they stick around and you're increasing the problem. If you're non-organic that's a lot of pesticides, with unknown health risks and fossil fuels to make, distribute them etc.

And when it comes to calories - I need about 3.5k a day. I'll need to get a lot of those calories from fats on a vegan diet. Avocados, nuts, etc only grow in a few places, require a lot of water, need to be transported around the world anyway.

This is already getting too long, but you catch my drift. It's more complicated than that.

Buy local, eat ethical and not too much. That's probably what's best for the planet. But the farming industry is horrendous. Agree.

All valid points and your summary is perfect!
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [kjwcanary] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjwcanary wrote:
Smokeythebandit wrote:

"The majority of vegans I know (which is a lot) switched either for animal welfare ethics or because of a wish to reduce their carbon footprint. Those reasons will always be there and so the idea that veganism is a fad is, in my opinion, misplaced. "

I'm not sure the animal welfare argument makes sense. There was a study done in Australia, where they estimated to get the same calories from plants as animals, 27 times as many creatures were killed. Agriculture ends up in the death of many snakes, rabbits, foxes, bees, bugs, rats, squirrels, fish, etc.... This is a result of animals being displaced from the land and the effect of pesticides, fertilizers, and hunters keeping the animals away from the crops. The chemicals can also get into rivers and lakes, resulting in fish and other aquatic life being killed. I will concede that as Neil De Grassse Tyson says, one study is not the truth, but the animal welfare argument for veganism is in doubt. Perhaps vegans should say they value the life of one cow more than the lives of 10 rabbits, 5 squirrels, 6 snakes, 2 foxes, etc.... That would be more accurate. Oh, you might also consider, the home they live in, the roads they drive on, the clothes they wear, the electronics they use, those all result in the death of animals that were displaced and killed to make those things possible. Where do we draw the line? Slippery slope, eh.

Similarly for the environmental argument. See points above about pollution. Also, agriculture destroys the soil. You need fertilizer from animals or fossil fuels (whoops). UN estimates that some ag land may only have 60 to 70 harvests left. Ruminant animals can regenerate the soil, if managed properly. They eat the grass, their waste improves the microbome of the soil, improving both its carbon carrying and water retention capabilities. Take a look at White Oak Pastures. Again, the vegan is better argument is in doubt.

I leave you with two things. 1. The vegan agenda is being supported by the multi trillion dollar processed food industry, which wants to sell you it's highly profitable plant based processed foods, of which plant based meats are the latest fad. Those foods are the cause of the epidemics of obesity, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome in this country. That's what is behind the argument that meat is unhealthy, bad for animals, bad for the environment. The 700,000 ranchers in this country do not have the financial resources to combat their lobbying and marketing dollars. (follow the money).

I don't doubt you can do okay on a plant based diet in the short term. But long term, and especially as you age, it gets more difficult. Here is a photo of a few vegans getting on in age. Not sure how old they are, but probably not as old as they look. I hope they don't trip and fall, I suspect their muscles and bones aren't very strong. I thought "The Walking Dead" was a work of fiction.

You can't say I didn't warn you. Almost dinner time, going to have some steak, bone broth, might have a few greens, but only plants without lectins and oxalates. Will then do 100 push ups, 25 pull ups, bench, row, squats, dead lifts, and an interval session on my trainer. I may not be as thin as the folks below, but I probably have more muscle in my pinky toe than in all their bodies combined.

Eat Meat. Heal the body, heal the mind, heal the planet.

Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [Terryh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Terryh wrote:
I have a triathlete friend that is bashing Vegans saying they are not as strong as meat eaters and the vegan diet sucks,

She’s not a good person. Everyone is different so you should respect their decision. If you can’t respect, just shut up and don’t say anything. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say.

Forks over knives
Food Inc
What the health
Fat, sick and nearly dead
Yeah I watched them, changed my diet and I feel much better so I’m a living proof myself. You can’t brain wash someone so no need to argue with her. Let her believe what she believes and move on.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [giddyup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
giddyup wrote:
kjwcanary wrote:
Smokeythebandit wrote:

"The majority of vegans I know (which is a lot) switched either for animal welfare ethics or because of a wish to reduce their carbon footprint. Those reasons will always be there and so the idea that veganism is a fad is, in my opinion, misplaced. "

I'm not sure the animal welfare argument makes sense. There was a study done in Australia, where they estimated to get the same calories from plants as animals, 27 times as many creatures were killed. Agriculture ends up in the death of many snakes, rabbits, foxes, bees, bugs, rats, squirrels, fish, etc.... This is a result of animals being displaced from the land and the effect of pesticides, fertilizers, and hunters keeping the animals away from the crops. The chemicals can also get into rivers and lakes, resulting in fish and other aquatic life being killed. I will concede that as Neil De Grassse Tyson says, one study is not the truth, but the animal welfare argument for veganism is in doubt. Perhaps vegans should say they value the life of one cow more than the lives of 10 rabbits, 5 squirrels, 6 snakes, 2 foxes, etc.... That would be more accurate. Oh, you might also consider, the home they live in, the roads they drive on, the clothes they wear, the electronics they use, those all result in the death of animals that were displaced and killed to make those things possible. Where do we draw the line? Slippery slope, eh.

Similarly for the environmental argument. See points above about pollution. Also, agriculture destroys the soil. You need fertilizer from animals or fossil fuels (whoops). UN estimates that some ag land may only have 60 to 70 harvests left. Ruminant animals can regenerate the soil, if managed properly. They eat the grass, their waste improves the microbome of the soil, improving both its carbon carrying and water retention capabilities. Take a look at White Oak Pastures. Again, the vegan is better argument is in doubt.

I leave you with two things. 1. The vegan agenda is being supported by the multi trillion dollar processed food industry, which wants to sell you it's highly profitable plant based processed foods, of which plant based meats are the latest fad. Those foods are the cause of the epidemics of obesity, type 2 diabetes and metabolic syndrome in this country. That's what is behind the argument that meat is unhealthy, bad for animals, bad for the environment. The 700,000 ranchers in this country do not have the financial resources to combat their lobbying and marketing dollars. (follow the money).

I don't doubt you can do okay on a plant based diet in the short term. But long term, and especially as you age, it gets more difficult. Here is a photo of a few vegans getting on in age. Not sure how old they are, but probably not as old as they look. I hope they don't trip and fall, I suspect their muscles and bones aren't very strong. I thought "The Walking Dead" was a work of fiction.

You can't say I didn't warn you. Almost dinner time, going to have some steak, bone broth, might have a few greens, but only plants without lectins and oxalates. Will then do 100 push ups, 25 pull ups, bench, row, squats, dead lifts, and an interval session on my trainer. I may not be as thin as the folks below, but I probably have more muscle in my pinky toe than in all their bodies combined.

Eat Meat. Heal the body, heal the mind, heal the planet.

Good point about the cost of plant based meatless foods. Its a crock that the stuff costs 2-3 times as much as real meat and is highly processed. What a scam! It actually pisses me off, but I guess if people are dumb enough to buy it then so be it. Also, I've never seen soy bleed like Beyond Meat. It can't be healthy.
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [s13tx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
s13tx wrote:
Terryh wrote:
I have a triathlete friend that is bashing Vegans saying they are not as strong as meat eaters and the vegan diet sucks,

She’s not a good person. Everyone is different so you should respect their decision. If you can’t respect, just shut up and don’t say anything. If you don’t have anything nice to say, don’t say.

Forks over knives
Food Inc
What the health
Yeah I watched them, changed my diet and I feel much better so I’m a living proof myself. You can’t brain wash someone so no need to argue with her. Let her believe what she believes and move on.

The irony is strong with this one

😂
Quote Reply
Re: Vegan Powerhouse Triathletes, Swimmers, Cyclists and Runners. GO..... [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
s13tx wrote:
Terryh wrote:

Forks over knives
Food Inc
What the health

The irony is strong with this one

😂

It is nearly perfect! And who bases a central life decision on a bunch of largely trash docs? The last one, an Aussie guy literally drives around with a Cuisinart across America juicing his way through the Big, Bad, Obese West. Its almost theatre of the absurd. Read a book or study or talk to a doctor before you change your life on a whim!

Professional Athlete: http://jordancheyne.wordpress.com/ http://www.strava.com/athletes/145340

Coaching Services:http://www.peakformcoaching.com/

Quote Reply

Prev Next