Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

knee pain, please help (not ITB)...
Quote | Reply

Here are the specs:

- Hurt knee on Oct 13, haven't been able to run since
- been to 5 therapy sessions
- NOT IT Band related, hamstring related (although it is tight), or quad related
- I pronate, and was wearing the wrong shoes (thought the shoe man knew what he was talking about)
- I am getting custom orthotics this weekend, along with PROPER shoes

It seems the PERONEAL NERVE is what the problem is. To the touch, that is sensative, and that is exactly where my knee hurts when I run.

Does anyone have any experience with an injury like this?

Thanks for any info you've got!
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain, please help (not ITB)... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A bunch of questions: Did you have any trauma to this area (I assume your pain is at the had of your fibula)? Most of what I've read describes direct trauma as the primary cause of injury to the area you describe. Do you have any numbness or tingling in your lower leg or foot? Investigated sciatica or piriformis syndrome? What kind of therapy have you been doing? How was your condition diagnosed?
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain, please help (not ITB)... [jhendric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jhen, i'll try and answer as best I can:

-Did you have any trauma to this area (I assume your pain is at the had of your fibula)? -NO DIRECT TRAUMA, JUST CRAPPY SHOES, AND POOR TECHNIQUE WHILE SQUATING. AND THE PAIN IS ON THE OUTSIDE OF THE KNEE, ALMOST EXACTLY WHERE ITB WOULD BE CAUSING DISCOMFORT.

Do you have any numbness or tingling in your lower leg or foot? - NOPE, NO TINGLING

Investigated sciatica or piriformis syndrome? - NOPE, BUT THOSE ARE ALL OKAY. DISCOMFORT IS ONLY AT OUTSIDE OF KNEE WHEN I TOUCH OR WHEN IT IS SORE

What kind of therapy have you been doing? - EASY STRETCHING AND THE THERAPIST IS USING SOME ULTRASOUND ON THE HAMSTRING + SOME QUAD STRENGTHENING EXCERCISES

How was your condition diagnosed? - SHE WAS STRETCHING MY LEG, RAN HER HAND OVER THE OUTSIDE OF THE KNEE, AND IT WAS THE SECOND WORST PAIN I'VE EVER FELT. THAT IS WHEN SHE IDENTIFIED THE PERONEAL NERVE AS A POSSIBLE CAUSE/PROBLEM.
Last edited by: mjpwooo: Feb 6, 04 7:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It seems like reading your post you are only seeing one person for your treatment/diagnosis. If true I would find another doc. Find one that specializes in sport injuries. I would go to a couple of the running stores and ask them which doc they would see. The doc I have is a marathoner and coaches one of the better high school x-country programs in the state. If you live in a major metro area (I'm in Seattle) then I'm sure there is someone. Second opinions are often a good idea.

Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does you knee lock-up at all? I mean hen your leg is bent does it ever pause when trying to straighten it?

A
Quote Reply
Re: knee pain, please help (not ITB)... [NJbiker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, no locking at all. I've got full range of motion, but when I run, there is pain on the outside of the knee.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you have pain when you walk, especially down stairs?
Quote Reply