Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS?
Quote | Reply
I am in the market for a new treadmill and very close to making the move on the Peloton Tread.

My wife has the bike and absolutely loves it! WE have a Nordictrack tread currently that is toast but it was fine for what it is. The thing that draws me in about the Peloton is the slat-based design like a woodway (minus the $8k price-tag). I would use it purely for running per race-builds and occasionally one of the strength classes to break the monotony and I am confident my wife will use it regularly for full Peloton classes.

For some reason though, the only reviews out there is an outdated one from DC Rainmaker and a bunch of people who are doing it for the class/fitness functionality.

SO...... if any of you on here have one or have at least put in some significant miles on one, please share your experience. Is the machine worth it?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [rself] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had one about 6 months and love it so far. I put in a lot of miles when running after work when my wife is still at work and I'm watching the kid. Most of the easy runs I do on it, I'll take a class but just follow the instructor for elevation changes. I do love the marathon prep classes. I have really pushed myself in those and have had some good gains from it. Becs Gentry and Matt Wilpers have great marathon prep and temp classes. The knobs to adjust speed and incline are great, super responsive. My old 10 year old Sole took forever to change anything. The deck also feels great. When I got to my office gym now to run I can really tell the difference.

The strength/bootcamp and walking classes have been a hit with my wife. She never really worked out before so that's a big plus for me.

Side note, I've been taking the Peloton meditation classes as I go to sleep and have never been sleeping better. Any specific questions?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [bq2001] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What's the rough structure of a marathon prep class? Just curious. How long is it, and how do they stave off the boredom of running kinda slow for a long time?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They tend to mix it up but there is generally a short warmup (they always encourage doing a warn up before class), then different sections of paces. Most do a build of paces like X min at 5k, X min at 10k, recover at marathon pace, repeat. It's almost like longer interval work with recovery at marathon pace. It's helped me push myself to go faster for longer intervals with an instructor talking. Plus add in the leaderboard and trying to pass people. It really helps the minutes fly by.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bq2001 wrote:
. . .The knobs to adjust speed and incline are great, super responsive. My old 10 year old Sole took forever to change anything. The deck also feels great. When I got to my office gym now to run I can really tell the difference.

My biggest complaints about my home treadmill are having to hit small buttons to adjust speed and incline, and the long time it takes to adjust speeds. I'm almost hoping it will die so I have an excuse to get a better one.

How does the deck on the Peloton compare to the gym treadmills? My home treadmill is pretty bouncy compared to the gym, which helps deaden the pounding but it feels weird when I run at higher speeds.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [dktxracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the deck feels more like the road vs my old Sole and Cybex work treadmill. It isn't bouncy but isn't like running on concrete either. It is a tall deck though, that can cause problems for people with low ceilings and want to do incline.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is great info. Thanks! Would be great to see this thread grow as I am sure Im not the only one out there contemplating the $4000 decision.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use it mainly as just a normal treadmill. I mounted an Ipad on the wall behind it to run zwift on and on the tread I use just the scenic runs. So when Im running I can ether look down at cool cities or up at zwift.

I will say that a super annoying part of the tread is if you sweat alot. I am sure this is the case when all touch screen treadmills but for me, sweat will splash on the screen and then start selecting things and before long you cant see your data because it's hidden. Yes you can wipe the screen and bring it back until another sweat drop lands on that part but still, super annoying. I have asked for a screen lock toggle to reduce the chance of hitting that spot on the screen but they never got back with me. I dont even see why fields need to toggle honestly, just allow us to select which things you want to show in the settings and be done with it. Ok, rant over.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [yocool86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yocool86 wrote:
I use it mainly as just a normal treadmill. I mounted an Ipad on the wall behind it to run zwift on and on the tread I use just the scenic runs. So when Im running I can ether look down at cool cities or up at zwift.

I will say that a super annoying part of the tread is if you sweat alot. I am sure this is the case when all touch screen treadmills but for me, sweat will splash on the screen and then start selecting things and before long you cant see your data because it's hidden. Yes you can wipe the screen and bring it back until another sweat drop lands on that part but still, super annoying. I have asked for a screen lock toggle to reduce the chance of hitting that spot on the screen but they never got back with me. I dont even see why fields need to toggle honestly, just allow us to select which things you want to show in the settings and be done with it. Ok, rant over.

Oh man, that would be SUPER annoying for me - I spray sweat all over my SoleF80 console on every run, and for sure if sweat sets off buttons, I'd be virtually pushing tons of stuff. That would literally be a deal breaker for me for a Peloton tread - I wonder if others are complaining of this problem, as it's the first I've heard of it. Yikes!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following as I'm in process of building a new home which will have a dedicated pain cave. Am also thinking of getting the Peloton tread but planned on checking out the Woodway based on reviews I've read as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have run on the Peloton TM at the store pop ups but ended up buying a used Woodway off of Ebay for $3.5K. The Woodway ended up having <200 miles on it and was three years old (score!). I loved the lattice surface but was not ok with the monthly subscription on the Peloton hence my decision to go with the Woodway. The wife likes to use the Woodway as well. Honestly, not sure if she would use the classes or not. I mounted a 40" TV to it and run an HDMI to my custom built PC to watch Treadmill TV, YouTube, or run on Zwift. The thing is built like a tank and I have no issues with changing speeds or inclines. The customer service at Woodway is really easy to talk to as well. I wasn't able to talk to the rep at the pop up store about the Peloton TM without including the subscription in the conversation. It just cemented my decision to find a used Woodway.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [Uno_mas!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is a score. I looked for a Woodway for about 6 months and never could find a deal like that or I probably would have went that way, but am still really happy with what I got. You can use the Tread without a subscription, but then you would have a giant blank screen in front of you. I do wish that you could sideload apps like Netflix, but I get that they want to keep the users tied into an ecosystem. I am a bit lucky in that I get reimbursed 90% of the monthly cost of the $40/mo charge for the subscription. I do get a lot of value out of it and would probably still pay full price for it. The bootcamp, core, yoga and meditation classes are great. Now that my wife is using it, it is even better. If any of you do decide to get it you can use my code (R544PF) for some accessories. I got some weights when I got mine for some boot camp classes with someones code.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have the TREAD and love it. We are exactly a year into ownership of it.

I don't take very many classes.....mostly do the "just run" option and watch streaming TV. My wife almost exclusively does the classes when she runs on it. With that said, if you have the bike (we do), then you do NOT need a subscription for it as your subscription on the bike includes the TREAD as well. MY wife rides her Peloton Bike literally 7 days a week. Has some absurd streak going.

If we didn't have the bike, I would have still purchased it. There are so many classes to take, training programs (5K, marathon, etc), floor classes, and more that it's worth the measly $39 a month. When I'm in the mood to do some HIIT runs, VO2 max runs, etc, there are some great classes for that and I love being able to see the playlist BEFORE selecting the class. With all that said.....The draw is the build quality of this thing. It's a tank and so solid. Feel is better than a typical treadmill. Feels like running on asphalt with very little spring/bounce. I enjoy running on it and I am somebody that hates treadmills.

One other thing, the change in speed and incline is super fast and the easiest to manipulate with both the rotating scroll wheel and middle click button for "full steps" as well as the customizable "hot keys" that you can have popup on the screen for quick one-touch operation.

To have access to all the classes for our entire family (my 2 grade school kids use both as well) across both the bike and TREAD is worth the measly $39.

Cheers, Ray
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [TXAgeGrouper] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Since you're in the process of building a home, the one piece of advise I'd give you if you're even considering a Woodway is to add a dedicated 20A circuit for a treadmill in your pain cave. Most treadmills will run off a standard 15A outlet but the Woodway needs a 20A outlet.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [TX83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
More great feedback folks. Looking more and more like the ol credit cards about to take a hit!
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton Tread ... What are your REVIEWS? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So true! Cannot believe I did not mention that. When I bought the Woodway I ended having to run another 220A circuit to the spare bedroom where the Woodway and the Kickr are. For the hell of it. Add extra outlets. I did and I am glad I did. Plenty of outlets for multiple monitors and three fans. Not sure if the Peloton TM needs a 20A circuit but yes, the Woodway has to have one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah a dedicated and non-GFCI outlet is a must if you are doing a new build. I was glad we did that in our basement build. Code may require a GFCI outlet but it’s easy to swap the outlet after inspection.
Quote Reply