Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the planning for a parts up build of a Trek Speed Concept and am planning SRAM Red eTap AXS groupset. This is my first build so I'm learning as I go, so please go easy on me if this is a question I should know the answer to. ;)

With the Bottom Brackets I see that the Trek SC has a BB90, but the Quarq Power meter cranksets all want a DUB BB. As best I can tell they're not compatible, which seems kind of strange to me because Trek's kind of a big deal and they appear to have BB90 pretty much across the board.

Is DUB just not an option at all with Trek and I have to use a GXP crank with Quarq? I don't know the pro's and con's of either so maybe the GXP is superior, but wanted to make sure I'm understanding this right. I see Quarq has a separate GXP crank arm assembly that works with their SRAM Red AXS power meter so guessing that's the route I need to go if DUB isn't an option.

Thanks

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [tuwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, Dub is not compatible with the BB90 bottom bracket and you need to get the GXP arms. I'm in the same situation, have an SC, this past fall picked up a Quarq DFour with the Red GXP arms, already had a GXP BB installed. I received the power meter spider and arms separately and installed the arms onto the spider using the supplied long torx bit, already had a torque wrench for the bit.
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response. I figured that was the case, but wanted to ask in case I was missing something.
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [tttiltheend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When you installed your quarq w/ sram red gxp arms on your SC, did you use any spacers or a lock ring washer? I started to install mine yesterday and I'm a little confused. And I can't find any clear instructions on quarq's website for installing into a bb90.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
When you installed your quarq w/ sram red gxp arms on your SC, did you use any spacers or a lock ring washer? I started to install mine yesterday and I'm a little confused. And I can't find any clear instructions on quarq's website for installing into a bb90.

Your crank didn't come with a fold out instruction graphic? Not sure what you mean by lock ring washer, I thought those were only for Dub BB? Also depends on if you use a SRAM GXP BB or aftermarket GXP one. There's a wave washer that slides onto the spindle on the drive side against the crank for all installations, it provides the preload. SRAM GXP BBs have two dust shield/spacers, one for the drive side and one that's splined for the nondrive side. But I have a Hawk aftermarket BB and it doesn't use those, so all depends.

ETA: Here's a SRAM manual. The preload adjuster ring is for 30 mm spindles, Trek SC BB 90 requires a crank w/ 24 mm spindle.
Last edited by: tttiltheend: Jan 20, 20 16:06
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [tuwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a AXS Red crank that came out of my speed concept. Message me if interested
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks! I meant wave washer not lockring washer (I got confused). I didn't get a wave washer or the printout with my quarq. But that might have been an oversight since I sent in a used dzero spider for them to put on new gxp 24 mm cranks. I also didn't know some bb come with splined dust caps. I'm not sure what bb is in the frame right now as it was bought used but there's only 1 dust cover right now. I may just replaced the entire bb with a new one and all new dust covers.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am just buying parts for a SC build as well and am confused about this same issue. It's my (potentially incorrect) understanding people are running this setup on the SC, for example:

https://triathlonmagazine.ca/...-trek-speed-concept/

What am I missing? This is my first build so potentially a lot! If I have the AXS 1x12 DUB crank, I think I just need to buy the GXP crank arms to make this work? I assume that is what has been done on Paula's bike.
Last edited by: Jgrizzo: Jan 22, 20 17:47
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [Jgrizzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes you need GXP to fit you Trek SC
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [Jgrizzo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have a Dub crankset, you need to sell it.

Then buy a GXP crankset.
Quote Reply
Re: BB question with Quarq SRAM Red AXS Power Meter on Trek Speed Concept [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Jim. I can return the DUB 1x TT crankset, but I am not sure which GXP crank to buy if I want the power meter. There doesn't seem to be one?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jgrizzo wrote:
Thanks Jim. I can return the DUB 1x TT crankset, but I am not sure which GXP crank to buy if I want the power meter. There doesn't seem to be one?

You have to buy the spider and the crankarms separately. These are the crankarms you want, and they can be be combined with your current spider but you may have to return the whole assembly and buy this spider, selecting the appropriate 1 x aero option.
Quote Reply