Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best cheap tablet for zwift?
Quote | Reply
Looking for a tablet primarily to use while I’m on the bike using zwift. Any recommendations?
Quote Reply
Re: Best cheap tablet for zwift? [Afg53] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Medical overbed tables can be found on amazon for 50-100 usd.
Last edited by: Tom_hampton: Jan 19, 20 12:47
Quote Reply
Re: Best cheap tablet for zwift? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

That gave me a laugh! Are you being serious, or did you read tablet as 'table'?

Looks like an iPad 6 (or newer) or iPad Mini 2 (or newer) could work fine. I use an Apple TV, which is pretty reasonable. Works very well for my purposes, but you need a TV/monitor as well.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Last edited by: natethomas: Jan 19, 20 12:58
Quote Reply
Re: Best cheap tablet for zwift? [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. Oops. Yes, read "tablet" as table....also a common question on here for indoors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are your looking for a tablet to watch something while running zwift? Or be able to run zwift?

Maybe a fire tablet would work to just watch something. Otherwise there are plenty of economy Android tablets out there while not great work well enough. Be warned economy/value tablets run slow at time...I've got a couple and it can get frustrating when things bog down. But most of the time they are just to watch a streaming app or just stream music so it doesn't need to be fancy.

If you need it to run zwift I believe unless that has recently changed only iOS can run full zwift so a newer iPad is what you want to look for.

Also, like another I initially thought it said table too on the thread title. But once I clicked it realized it was tablet.
Last edited by: loxx0050: Jan 20, 20 7:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I started Zwifting with a Ipad mini as long as your happy with just using bluetooth. In fact it fitted nicely on a treadmill at the gym when I tried out zwift running.
TLDR I would go for the largest screen Ipad that my budget would allow.
I did manage to pick up a Macbook Air for less than the cost of a second hand Ipad.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As mentioned, a lot of the cheap Android tablets are frustratingly slow. If you're going the tablet route, get an iPad.

For lowest cost, I'd recommend one of two options:

1. Use an old laptop. You can get a used/referb one cheap and they are typically higher spec than the tablets. I went this route and also use the BT connection to stream music to my headphones. It also gives you the flexibility to add an ANT+ dongle for better connectivity and to easily connect to a TV later.

2. Use your phone and just use a dongle to connect to an HDMI cable to an old TV/Monitor. (cheapest option)

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd recommend the current iPad. You can argue that $329 is not cheap, but this device will run Zwift very well. Alternatively, a used iPad that Zwift supports will work fine.

Below is the list of Android devices that Zwift recommends. They are on the more expensive end of Android devices. Cheap Android devices don't have the horsepower for Zwift.

https://forums.zwift.com/...ed-dec-22-2019/44902
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out woot.com, they have some not-infrequent deals on refurbished iPad minis and such.

Level II USAT Coach | Level 3 USAC Coach | NASM-CPT
Team Zoot | Tailwind Trailblazer
I can tell you why you're sick, I just can't write you an Rx
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option to consider, which may totally not be what you are after. But I got 2 off lease ex-office use desktops from my local IT shop and some old 21" monitors too. Would be about USD$110 each. Worked fine, then I added a $50 graphics card to each and they are fine for high res. I actually have it set up with these two PCs side by side (my wife also has a neo/ zwift subscription) and then we have a single 38" TV mounted centrally above the screens. So we have Zwift on the PC monitor and then the PC is also driving the big TV in dual monitor setup streaming Netflix.

So that may be worth considering as an end point if you've a dedicated location. If your'e looking for something minimal then clearly your tablet is the way to go. And of course you get the bonus of being able to use the tablet for other stuff. My setup is about a dead stable just jump on and go whenever 24/7.
Quote Reply
Re: Best cheap tablet for zwift? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tom_hampton wrote:

Damn Tom, here I am in 2020 Zwifting on my bike, but you in 3020 doing it in bed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will second the iPad recommendations- have had an excellent and easy experience with it. Also easy to mount anywhere- treadmill, music stand for the bike, etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a good tablet there’s only one option.

iPad.

Mine works perfectly with Zwift - although I’ve recently moved away and back to Sufferfest which also works perfectly on it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I personally prefer a laptop while on the bike.

But I use an iPad air on the treadmill and it works great. Super cheap on ebay too. Easy to find a refurb one for ~$125
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Laptop application has more customization to the zwift screen which I value over a tablet. However, I run zwift on my apple tv.
Quote Reply
Re: Best cheap tablet for zwift? [FasterTwitch] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep. While you fools are out Zwift Riding and Zwift Running....I'm in my bed Zwift Sleeping.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought a cheap refurbished laptop that I only use for Zwift, maybe paid $150 for it. Our office upgraded desktop equipment so I scored a free monitor.

It gets the job done.
Quote Reply