Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Non-tubeless tyres used tubeless
Quote | Reply
Hi all

I'm about to take delivery of a new road bike (ðŸ˜) and as with many these days comes with 'tubeless ready' wheels, but not set up tubeless and comes with tyres that are not tubeless-specific.

I'm familiar with tubeless having used it for many years mountain biking. In MTB circles it is common practice to use normal non-tubeless tyres (eg not UST) set up tubeless. I've done that for years myself.
Depending on the tyre and rim, some air up more easily than others, and some weep some sealant more in the sidewalls until the sealant... seals.
But never had any problems with tyres coming off etc..neither have any mtb friends.

Onto road bike. I've not tried to use non-tubeless road tyres as tubeless.
But obvs the new bike brings brand new tyres that I'd prefer not to toss onto an ever increasing pile of unused and part worn spare tyres !
Anyone got any experience?

I realise the pressure is far higher, and volume much lower etc if there's a problem. And speeds typically higher (= more consequences on failure - usually).

Is there anything special re tubeless road tyres beyond better-coated sidewalls ? Eg do they have closer tolerances on the bead etc ?
Quote Reply
Re: Non-tubeless tyres used tubeless [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't do it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The beads of non tubeless tires cannot withstand the high pressure involved with road tires. It would be incredibly dangerous to attempt using a non tubeless road tire tubeless. There's lots of information on the web about this.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-tubeless tyres used tubeless [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
offpiste.reese wrote:
The beads of non tubeless tires cannot withstand the high pressure involved with road tires. It would be incredibly dangerous to attempt using a non tubeless road tire tubeless. There's lots of information on the web about this.

Hi both. Thanks for replies
I'll look to get some gp5000s (TL) from the start and put the supplied tyres om Fleabay whilst unused.

But if you cam just. ammuse me a little... what IS the difference between tubeless tyres and non ? Is the bead different?

I get your point that the pressures are high - but they're equally high with a tube and tubeless !
With nice soft very elastic latex tubes, does this really make the difference between popping off and not ?
Is the concern the tyre 'burping' ? (Which at least on mtbs is a low pressure issue) or the bead blowing off the rim ?
And hookless rims - no backup hook there when run with a tube.

I like to know the logic / mechanism / why, as well as the 'what' ! From some searches i get the 'don't do it' loud and clear bur little on the 'why not' (beyond 'it's dangerous' )- why is it dangerous ?

Thanks
Bob.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I found this article from Enve pretty useful. Its primary point is hooked vs. hookless rims, but it does a good job explaining tube vs. hooked tubeless vs hookless tubeless.

https://www.enve.com/...and-who-theyre-for/#
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
But if you cam just. ammuse me a little... what IS the difference between tubeless tyres and non ? Is the bead different?

Carbon fiber bead rather than kevlar, and a layer to retain air. Maybe more. The very strong and stiff bead is needed to keep the tire from blowing off.

You'll find that tubeless tires make a bit less sense on a road bike than they do offroad.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-tubeless tyres used tubeless [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:

Carbon fiber bead rather than kevlar, and a layer to retain air. Maybe more. The very strong and stiff bead is needed to keep the tire from blowing off.

You'll find that tubeless tires make a bit less sense on a road bike than they do offroad.

Thanks

I realised that for mtb of course i dropped the pressure notably when I went tubeless, to get more grip / traction (and takes out a lot of higher frequency 'chatter' that the forks don't. So the blow-off risk is reduced (tho the 'burping' increased). The limiting factor on the mtb set up for me is the front tyre squirming about on corners if the pressure is too low.
(+ whilst no pinch flats, an increased risk of dinging the rim).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
I get your point that the pressures are high - but they're equally high with a tube and tubeless !
With nice soft very elastic latex tubes, does this really make the difference between popping off and not ?
Is the concern the tyre 'burping' ? (Which at least on mtbs is a low pressure issue) or the bead blowing off the rim ?
And hookless rims - no backup hook there when run with a tube.

I like to know the logic / mechanism / why, as well as the 'what' ! From some searches i get the 'don't do it' loud and clear bur little on the 'why not' (beyond 'it's dangerous' )- why is it dangerous ?

Thanks
Bob.

Tubeless tires are designed with beads that provide a better seal and less danger of a "burp." When running a tube, if the tire bead momentarily unseats from the rim bead the air in that gap is at the outside air pressure. As a result, the high pressure inside the tire/tube pushes the tire back against the rim. When running tubeless, that same small gap now has the air from inside the tire rushing through it at a pressure closer to the inside of the tire; so there is a much smaller pressure differential to push the gap closed and reseat the tire.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Hi all

I'm about to take delivery of a new road bike (ðŸ˜) and as with many these days comes with 'tubeless ready' wheels, but not set up tubeless and comes with tyres that are not tubeless-specific.

I'm familiar with tubeless having used it for many years mountain biking. In MTB circles it is common practice to use normal non-tubeless tyres (eg not UST) set up tubeless. I've done that for years myself.
Depending on the tyre and rim, some air up more easily than others, and some weep some sealant more in the sidewalls until the sealant... seals.
But never had any problems with tyres coming off etc..neither have any mtb friends.

Onto road bike. I've not tried to use non-tubeless road tyres as tubeless.
But obvs the new bike brings brand new tyres that I'd prefer not to toss onto an ever increasing pile of unused and part worn spare tyres !
Anyone got any experience?

I realise the pressure is far higher, and volume much lower etc if there's a problem. And speeds typically higher (= more consequences on failure - usually).

Is there anything special re tubeless road tyres beyond better-coated sidewalls ? Eg do they have closer tolerances on the bead etc ?

Just echoing what others have said - don't do it. We covered that and similar topics in this home page article, and you can find even more tubeless-related articles here. Also check out our Tubeless Super Thread for all-things-road-tubeless.

With the high pressures used for road, you really need to have a tubeless-specific tire.
Quote Reply
Re: Non-tubeless tyres used tubeless [gregk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks again for all the replies. A great help.
Quote Reply