Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

UFC 246
Quote | Reply
Yeah... 65 bucks for 41 seconds.

That seems like a good deal
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you got to see two women grinding for 15 minutes too

and a massive betting upset that looked like the odds should have been the other way around

I hate to think Cowboy took a dive, but damn that was just bad. He quit right away and Herb Dean wasn't going to let him. The good news is Connor's next fight is going to be against someone that wants to hurt him whether it be Khabib, Gamebred, or Usman. I'm guessing it will be April at the latest. Maybe even March now since he literally didn't even break a sweat.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That was shite.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He is a good Company Man. Enjoy your payday Cowboy.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
March and April fight cards are set. Khabib is the April headliner. Although he had an easy fight. March is really close to prepare for a specific opponent.

I’d guess may and then November in NYC vs khabib assuming they both win their next fight.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
March is too early against a specific opponent? Wasn't there debate on who Adesanya was going to fight up until 3 days ago when he signed to Romero on March 7th? Not at all saying it couldn't push into May, but Gamebred and Gaethje (at 170 or catch) would gladly take the fight and make one of those late March cards a PPV. Other than Connor, the PPV card had 6 or 7 fighters out of the 10 that had lost 2 of their last 3, including both Connor and Cerrone. Not like they need to build an undercard for him. Wouldn't surprise me to get Connor on the same April NY card as Khabib/Ferguson either. That would be a circus and another PPV goldmine. I like the quickest turn around possible at 170 to give him the most amount of time to get 155 fit for that Nov NY card as you suggest.

What is your take on his future? Who would you like to see him fight next and is the Nov fight against Khabib the end game you would like? What if one or both lose in their next fight? Still Nov in NY for them?

Obviously easy to say in hindsight, but Connor at -310 had to be the lock of the future year considering how focused he was coming in. I really wanted Cowboy to give him hell, but he was in for a rough night the way the last couple of weeks played out. It's crazy all the late sharp money came in on Cowboy. Didn't see any value at all in that with Connor's mindset. I believe his in-ring interview and post fight interview in the locker room proved it. Relatively humble and laser focused.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [Culley22] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think the UFC screwed Cowboy, after getting knocked out in October he was not ready to fight again. He is used to fighting 3 or 4 times a year but after getting knocked out he needs to slow down.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [jayhawk13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jayhawk13 wrote:
I think the UFC screwed Cowboy, after getting knocked out in October he was not ready to fight again. He is used to fighting 3 or 4 times a year but after getting knocked out he needs to slow down.

yeah, it's not like he didn't get beaten down 3 months before that too. This was a thank you payday for Cowboy. He needs to ride off into the sunset before he gets put down. He already has all of the respect in the world from both fighters and fans. Absolutely nothing left to prove.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windywave wrote:
Yeah... 65 bucks for 41 seconds.

That seems like a good deal

That guy Connor hit in the pub had a better chin. Sign him up.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [spudone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spudone wrote:
windywave wrote:
Yeah... 65 bucks for 41 seconds.

That seems like a good deal

That guy Connor hit in the pub had a better chin. Sign him up.

That was the first thing that popped in my mind too.

How many more of these super short fights before people stop buying?
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [windywave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The entire card was disappointing. Looked good on paper. Did not deliver. Very disappointing night in total.

If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. - Will Rogers

Emery's Third Coast Triathlon | Tri Wisconsin Triathlon Team | Push Endurance | GLWR
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [JSA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSA wrote:
The entire card was disappointing. Looked good on paper. Did not deliver. Very disappointing night in total.

looked good on paper? without the main event it would barely qualify for an espn+ card. 7 of the 10 fighters on PPV had lost 2 of their last 3. that's a big FU to fans.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
March is too early against a specific opponent? I think the March fight is the 1'st weekend. I can't imagine one of the "stars" would fight roughly 6 weeks apart.

Wasn't there debate on who Adesanya was going to fight up until 3 days ago when he signed to Romero on March 7th? Not sure.

Not at all saying it couldn't push into May, but Gamebred and Gaethje (at 170 or catch) would gladly take the fight and make one of those late March cards a PPV. My guess is the PPV schedule is set and they can't flip a fight night to PPV.

Other than Connor, the PPV card had 6 or 7 fighters out of the 10 that had lost 2 of their last 3, including both Connor and Cerrone. Not like they need to build an undercard for him. Wouldn't surprise me to get Connor on the same April NY card as Khabib/Ferguson either. That would be a circus and another PPV goldmine. With Connor and Khabib - who gets the "last" fight of the night? I can't see either signing on without the last spot. I just don't see it, but agree, it would be awesome. (except its in Brooklyn)

I like the quickest turn around possible at 170 to give him the most amount of time to get 155 fit for that Nov NY card as you suggest.

What is your take on his future? Few more years until he get embarrassed.

Who would you like to see him fight next and is the Nov fight against Khabib the end game you would like? No idea in next, I'd love to see him and Khabib fight in NY. His 1'st fight in the Garden was awesome to be at live.

What if one or both lose in their next fight? Still Nov in NY for them? YES - They both are huge draws.

Obviously easy to say in hindsight, but Connor at -310 had to be the lock of the future year considering how focused he was coming in. I really wanted Cowboy to give him hell, but he was in for a rough night the way the last couple of weeks played out. It's crazy all the late sharp money came in on Cowboy. Didn't see any value at all in that with Connor's mindset. I believe his in-ring interview and post fight interview in the locker room proved it. Relatively humble and laser focused. Agree
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
you got to see two women grinding for 15 minutes too

and a massive betting upset that looked like the odds should have been the other way around

I hate to think Cowboy took a dive, but damn that was just bad. He quit right away and Herb Dean wasn't going to let him. The good news is Connor's next fight is going to be against someone that wants to hurt him whether it be Khabib, Gamebred, or Usman. I'm guessing it will be April at the latest. Maybe even March now since he literally didn't even break a sweat.

Yep, would love to see Gamebread face Connor. Connor would get smashed.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
TimeIsUp wrote:
you got to see two women grinding for 15 minutes too

and a massive betting upset that looked like the odds should have been the other way around

I hate to think Cowboy took a dive, but damn that was just bad. He quit right away and Herb Dean wasn't going to let him. The good news is Connor's next fight is going to be against someone that wants to hurt him whether it be Khabib, Gamebred, or Usman. I'm guessing it will be April at the latest. Maybe even March now since he literally didn't even break a sweat.


Yep, would love to see Gamebread face Connor. Connor would get smashed.

Before this fight and even up until all of the post fight interviews, you would have been hard pressed to find someone that disliked Connor more than me. I appreciated he was humble leading up (understanding how can anyone trash-talk Cowboy) and even more humble in victory. The turning point for me was his comment that he had disrespected his country and all those that believed in him with his behavior over the last couple of years. Time will tell, but it appears someone finally got through to him.

I think a focused Connor picks apart Gamebred. I think a focused Connor has a very good chance at beating Khabib and I never, ever thought I would say that. His first fight against Khabib was his Buster Douglas moment. He spent way too much time partying and didn't appreciate exactly how much Khabib wanted to maim him. He quit in that fight to keep from getting seriously injured and he is looking for revenge. Not in the I want to hurt Khabib kind of way (even though he may want to), but moreso in the I want my legacy back kind of way. As of right, I'm giving him the benefit of doubt.

To me, this fight really didn't prove anything about Connor in the ring. No one was surprised he put Cowboy away. This fight showed Connor is refocused and that is exciting for the sport of MMA.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I could be wrong, but I always put Connor in the Ali camp with regard to promotion and personality. Connor always seemed like he was putting on a show to promote the fights and he's very good at it.

Now he may be an ass, but I'm not so sure that he's as big of an ass as he puts forth in his promotions.

I'm curious where people think Connor rates as a fighter. I put him the A league, but not the A+. I think he's great, but don't see him as quite the standout like an Anderson Silva or GSP.

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:

I'm curious where people think Connor rates as a fighter. I put him the A league, but not the A+. I think he's great, but don't see him as quite the standout like an Anderson Silva or GSP.

Who else in mma could have won 50+ million in a boxing match.

That alone puts him in A++. He seems to have the right talent to make a lot of money. And let’s face it. That’s why we all go to work.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
I could be wrong, but I always put Connor in the Ali camp with regard to promotion and personality. Connor always seemed like he was putting on a show to promote the fights and he's very good at it.

Now he may be an ass, but I'm not so sure that he's as big of an ass as he puts forth in his promotions.

I'm curious where people think Connor rates as a fighter. I put him the A league, but not the A+. I think he's great, but don't see him as quite the standout like an Anderson Silva or GSP.

I'm not talking about his general promoting, per se. For that he has no peers in the MMA world. I dislike(d) him for his off the field shit. Attacking a bus full of people causing harm. Hitting an old man in a bar. Slapping someone's phone out of their hand in Miami. Multiple sexual assault allegations (no charges that I am aware of). Just general entitlement issues, not helped by the UFC looking the other way.

I assume you are talking about Silva pre-2013 for that A+ status seeing as he's lost 6 of this last 7 with one no contest. GSP was dominant in an era before hand-picked opponents became a thing, but never really fought anyone with the current combination of skills that included elite striking. His MMA wrestling and top control were unparalleled, even against the best pure wrestlers. If Connor beats his next opponent, assuming Gaethje/Masvidal/Poirier/Usman (ascending difficulty) and especially if he beats Khabib, he will once again be the most feared fighter - comparable to vintage Anderson and GSP. He's definitely been gifted some opportunities not afforded to others as far as jumping the line for champ/champ status and his most recent victory making him the only fighter with KO's in 3 different divisions, but up until the first Diaz fight he was running through his quality opponents and telling you exactly how he was going to do it.

Connor is in a unique situation being such a huge face for MMA/UFC. There are a lot of great fights for him and the good thing is he wants to be known as one of the greats. Whatever comes next I believe the end game is him vs Khabib at MSG in Nov. The only way I don't see that happening is if Khabib beats Ferguson and Connor loses his next fight. It would be very hard to justify that opportunity, but that hasn't stopped the UFC before.
Quote Reply
Re: UFC 246 [TimeIsUp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TimeIsUp wrote:
yeah, it's not like he didn't get beaten down 3 months before that too. This was a thank you payday for Cowboy. He needs to ride off into the sunset before he gets put down. He already has all of the respect in the world from both fighters and fans. Absolutely nothing left to prove.

I liked when they broke from the rules recitation (I'm sure there's a technical or more appropriate term that I don't know), they touched gloves and Cowboy winked at Conor and Conor said "Good luck." You could tell they respected (and maybe even liked) each other.

War is god
Quote Reply