Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Stupid runner transitioning to clueless triathelete has cycling questions
Quote | Reply
Hello One and all,seems like I have found the right place.

I started running for the first time 2 years ago with no running background at the age of 53.Started piling on the miles and after 11 months ran a marathon and BQ'd.(oct 2018).So doing well in this years Boston Marathon has been my main focus.

Then about a month ago a friend convinced me to get a bike and start triathlon training(I'm pretty sure i was not of sound mind at the time,although others would say i never was.)

Found a reasonably priced lightly used 2013 Felt F3 and got a Saris Hammer3 trainer for Christmas,joined Zwift and started riding.

I am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate biking into my run training.Have been running 6 days a week 8-9 hrs ~66-70 miles for the last several months.Last week I Ran 5 for 60 miles and biked 4 days for 115 miles.Schedule so far is

Mon.-Long run 16,18 or 20
Tues-Run easy 10 ~1.25-1.5hrs
Wed-Bike long (for me)40-45~ 2-2.25 hrs
Thur.Run 10 easy am Bike easy pm-20-25 ~1-1.25 hrs
Fri. Run 10 with mile intervals hard
Sat.Brick Ride 20-25 miles easy then Run easy 10 Total 2.75-3 hrs
Sun. Ride easy/mod 20-25 miles

FTP seems to be around 240W =3.1/kg based on a 1 hr ride I did last week,slowly ramped to 250 watts for the first 20 min then maintained that for 40 minutes.Legs felt like a full on 10k effort but HR during the hardest part was only at about 77%Mhr

Really enjoying the spinning/pedaling,but as would be expected my aerobic system far out paces my legs as they relate to cycling.In scientific terms I run out of leg juice before I run out of lung and heart juice.

1.What is the best way to improve my riding while still focusing on running?
2.When do I shut down all riding before Boston?
3.How long might it be before my riding legs catch up with my cardio? (Running I can maintain 86%Mhr for 3 hrs)
Thank You for any answers you can provide.
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid runner transitioning to clueless triathelete has cycling questions [MonkyApocalypse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First off, welcome!

Your HR will be different biking vs. running at the same effort level, with the running HR usually being higher. The % variation is different for everyone (no fixed % adjustment). In my case 150bpm is a conversational Z3 run, while for cycling it is my LT.

As for when to lay off the biking, maybe in the final week before Boston (if that). Biking is a great way of getting some aerobic conditioning without the impact/muscle damage of running. Just don't be doing Zwift races or 2x20s during your taper ;P.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid runner transitioning to clueless triathelete has cycling questions [MonkyApocalypse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pretty rockstar first post - congrats on the BQ!

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MonkyApocalypse wrote:
Hello One and all,seems like I have found the right place.

I started running for the first time 2 years ago with no running background at the age of 53.Started piling on the miles and after 11 months ran a marathon and BQ'd.(oct 2018).So doing well in this years Boston Marathon has been my main focus.

Then about a month ago a friend convinced me to get a bike and start triathlon training(I'm pretty sure i was not of sound mind at the time,although others would say i never was.)

Found a reasonably priced lightly used 2013 Felt F3 and got a Saris Hammer3 trainer for Christmas,joined Zwift and started riding.

I am trying to figure out the best way to incorporate biking into my run training.Have been running 6 days a week 8-9 hrs ~66-70 miles for the last several months.Last week I Ran 5 for 60 miles and biked 4 days for 115 miles.Schedule so far is

Mon.-Long run 16,18 or 20
Tues-Run easy 10 ~1.25-1.5hrs
Wed-Bike long (for me)40-45~ 2-2.25 hrs
Thur.Run 10 easy am Bike easy pm-20-25 ~1-1.25 hrs
Fri. Run 10 with mile intervals hard
Sat.Brick Ride 20-25 miles easy then Run easy 10 Total 2.75-3 hrs
Sun. Ride easy/mod 20-25 miles

FTP seems to be around 240W =3.1/kg based on a 1 hr ride I did last week,slowly ramped to 250 watts for the first 20 min then maintained that for 40 minutes.Legs felt like a full on 10k effort but HR during the hardest part was only at about 77%Mhr

Really enjoying the spinning/pedaling,but as would be expected my aerobic system far out paces my legs as they relate to cycling.In scientific terms I run out of leg juice before I run out of lung and heart juice.

1.What is the best way to improve my riding while still focusing on running?
2.When do I shut down all riding before Boston?
3.How long might it be before my riding legs catch up with my cardio? (Running I can maintain 86%Mhr for 3 hrs)
Thank You for any answers you can provide.

Write a book

Couch to BQ in 2 years

Make millions

😎
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid runner transitioning to clueless triathelete has cycling questions [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 MrTri-It would be a real short book.
Run a lot
Don't get injured
Make mitochondria not excuses
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
66-70 miles/week puts you in rarefied air for a 55 year old. There will be a few like you on the start line of Boston but only a few. You did many right things for 53 years which may be the book you need to write.

Generally speaking with a lifetime of messing it up more than getting it right I would use the bike as a supplement to the running until Boston is over. I’m 55 just like you. Many of my friends can’t run any more because it hurts too much. I would just say, let your body tell you, if the biking is too much for your running you’ll know. If you ride really hard one day and can’t run the next then you know. Use that as your gauge, run Boston then come back and tell us all about it. You’ll teach us a thing or two.

Dave Jewell
Free Run Speed

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do about the same run volume, as you do. I ride while in a run heavy block. I don’t have prescribed workouts for the bike during this time. It is all based on how I feel. My focus is on hitting my volume and not sacrificing the quality workouts. I don’t care too much if a recovery run is slower because my legs are a bit tired. I do care if I cannot turn my legs over to get sufficient time in zone for LT or VO2 workouts.

If I had more time I would ride more. A couple caveats: (1) as long as I have enough time to recover for my next run work out without impacting key workouts; and (2) I still have days where I smash myself on the bike, but not within a month of my race.

Make sure you show up to Boston fresh and have a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Stupid runner transitioning to clueless triathelete has cycling questions [Titanflexr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you this was helpful
Quote Reply