Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [HardlyTrying] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HardlyTrying wrote:
I'll just say that cost was the #1 thing that kept me from triathlon. I changed my mind when I literally ran into a triathlon happening where I was doing a long run and saw people with cheap bikes. I did that triathlon the next year. Turns out, the wave of cheap bikes I saw was the exception, and anything over $500 is not cheap.

And cost is the #1 thing that keeps me from thinking I can take triathlon very seriously. Y'all throw around "only $1000" like it's nothing. I have never spent over $1000 on recreation or a hobby in a year. $1000 is a whole lot of money. I'm around a lot of upper middle class two-income families who also don't understand, so it's not unique to triathlon. I'm also around a lot of lower middle class families who cannot conceive of having $80 for a race fee like I pay. And no, they're not wasting money on frivolous poor-dad things, although if you examined their spending carefully I'm sure you could find unwise things.

I'm with DFW on this one.

Side note: you're supposed to replace cables? My 1977 cables work just fine, what am I missing?

Your cables will eventually get some corrosion within the frame. It's imevitable and when it happens your shifting will go to shit.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my first triathlon (a sprint with a half mile swim) I wore swim trunks, did the breaststroke the whole way and rode my crappy mountain bike. I was hooked. Probably 2 years later, I bought an entry level road bike and used that. Then, finally, a few years later, I got a legit "mid-level" tri bike. By then I was doing the crawl, picked up a used wetsuit and was racing 70.3's. My point is that ideally, it should be a slow, building process. When I see folks out there on crappy bikes and no wetsuits, plodding along, I applaud them, because that used to be me. How wealthy are triathletes? Well, there are some with spaceship bikes and high end gear, their own personal trainers who race all around the world. But there are also schmucks like me, who started with basically nothing and slowly acquired gear over time, that only race locally a few times a year. I guess I'm middle class, but I don't consider myself wealthy. I've been using the same stuff for years.

"The first virtue in a soldier is endurance of fatigue; courage is only the second virtue."
- Napoleon Bonaparte
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [DFW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DFW_Tri wrote:
Tom_hampton wrote:
DFW_Tri wrote:
Tom-with all due respect, you live in a bubble. And, the things you state below asr based on a handful of interactions with probably les than 100 people. It's ok, I live in that bubble too. You are using the fact that people show up at triathlons with crappy, "starter" bikes to show that others who don't even own such a bike can afford such a bike, and thus can afford triathlon. The people you see at these races can afford triathlon, at least at a basic level. The people you know can probably afford triathlon at least at a basic level. The average american cannot. The poverty rate is like 12%--those people can't even afford food and clothes. The poeple you and I interact with do not remotely represent what the average American can/cannot afford. Now, I don't know that those people would do triathlon if they could afford it any more than you, but they are much more likely to try basketball or soccer because it requires nothing more than a $10 ball to play those sports. The argument that money is not an impediment to triathlon (even at the cheapest possible equipment) is just insane to me.

Oh, good lord. Poverty rate? Really? You quote the poverty rate, and refer to the average american in the same paragraph. Those are NOT the same two people. The people below (or anywhere near) the poverty line aren't doing endurance sports---at all. Yeah, they might play a pickup game of some ball-sport....but, they aren't going for a long run on Saturday, or to the pool to swim 2500scy....let alone doing a brick or signing up for a Du/Tri---that fact has nothing to do with money, if they had the money they still wouldn't give a shit about tri. That's just a straw man.

The average american DOES spend disposable income on some leasure activity, which could be spent on tri. So, the AVERAGE american CAN affort to participate in tri. Some of these average americans even participate in the local fun run/walks, and might go for a family bike ride on Sunday.

There are many, many, many more people out there who CAN affort tri...who are generally interested in endurance sports...who choose not to participate in triathlon. Why? My contention is because its a logistical cluster-fuck of planning, and constant exercise, and most people hate swimming.

Maybe you exist in a bubble. I'm exposed both personally and professionally to a wide swath of demographics...from low-wage, union, hourly employees missing half their teeth because they can't affort to go to a dentist (even though they might own two jetskis)....to VPs. NO ONE ever says, "man that triathlon looks expensive!" They might whistle at a 50mi ride, or a 15mi run. But, you mention 1000y of swimming, and the response is universally "Oh, HELL TO THE NO!"

So, yeah....maybe they can't afford it, maybe they can. But, it never enters the conversation...because they'd never even attempt it.

Ummmmm, no. You don’t even realize you are in a bubble.

The average IM entry fee is $800 not including any other expenses. The average IM 70.3 is around $300. Obliviously you can race local sprints and olympics, but even most sprints are close to $100 after USAT fees, processing fees and Active fees. The sport is not affordable for most.

I don't want to hear about people racing on rusted out hand me down bikes, used peed in wetsuits, and running in shoes that were laying around as one person said. It's hilarious. Now with the proliferation of disc brakes your average price for a new entry level bike is $2500 to $3500. That's brutal and reality.
Last edited by: mwanner13: Jan 22, 20 17:52
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [Don_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don_W wrote:
For my first triathlon (a sprint with a half mile swim) I wore swim trunks, did the breaststroke the whole way and rode my crappy mountain bike. I was hooked. Probably 2 years later, I bought an entry level road bike and used that. Then, finally, a few years later, I got a legit "mid-level" tri bike. By then I was doing the crawl, picked up a used wetsuit and was racing 70.3's. My point is that ideally, it should be a slow, building process. When I see folks out there on crappy bikes and no wetsuits, plodding along, I applaud them, because that used to be me. How wealthy are triathletes? Well, there are some with spaceship bikes and high end gear, their own personal trainers who race all around the world. But there are also schmucks like me, who started with basically nothing and slowly acquired gear over time, that only race locally a few times a year. I guess I'm middle class, but I don't consider myself wealthy. I've been using the same stuff for years.

You are the exception. Most people that want to be competitive want gear that puts them on a level playing field. I give you credit for this approach and your patience, but it's uncommon in this sport. I see buttloads of people paying $500 for Wattie Tri Suits. The sport caters to the wealthy.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [mwanner13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Your cables will eventually get some corrosion within the frame.
Relatively few cables from 1977 are within the frame. If the shifters are downtube, there most likely won't even be any housing except from the chainstay to the rear derailleur.
If the bike has spent its life clean and stored well, it's not entirely unrealistic that 40-year-old cables would still be more or less functional on a 5/6/7-speed friction setup. Old-school shift cables weren't as precise as the new stuff, but they weren't bad at resisting issues like fraying.

...I'd probably swap out ancient brake cables regardless of their current function, for piece of mind.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Don_W wrote:

You are the exception. Most people that want to be competitive want gear that puts them on a level playing field. I give you credit for this approach and your patience, but it's uncommon in this sport. I see buttloads of people paying $500 for Wattie Tri Suits. The sport caters to the wealthy.

Think this is more the norm than you appreciate. Might be the exception for the ST crowd. I fall into this category. Local sprint in just tri shorts, and then mountain bike. Have now down several Olympics on my CAAD12 and clip ons. Have seen all comers at some large races. Would like to do a 70.3 in next few years. Looking forward to the challenge. Am going to be dead weight middle of the pack.

I enjoy having a "healthy" hobby. And I do enjoy coveting gear. Every day is an internal debate of when can I upgrade my road bike (which I love, btw). And reading ST, learning from the discussions, and appreciating all the different approaches folks take.
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [WannaB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WannaB wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Don_W wrote:

Think this is more the norm than you appreciate. Might be the exception for the ST crowd. I fall into this category. Local sprint in just tri shorts, and then mountain bike. Have now down several Olympics on my CAAD12 and clip ons. Have seen all comers at some large races. Would like to do a 70.3 in next few years. Looking forward to the challenge. Am going to be dead weight middle of the pack.

I enjoy having a "healthy" hobby. And I do enjoy coveting gear. Every day is an internal debate of when can I upgrade my road bike (which I love, btw). And reading ST, learning from the discussions, and appreciating all the different approaches folks take.

I'm riding a 2013 Argon 18 e112, which by modern standards is a relic. At all my IM 70.3 races, my bike is the oldest and least expensive of all surrounding bikes. I realize not everyone is on a brand new P5-X, but in my general vicinity on the rack most of the no bikes are legit. Obviously, people breaking into the sport may not have all the bells and whistles, but if you've been doing it continuously a number of years then the level of investment will be higher. Hell at most races I see first timers on much nicer, newer bikes than mine and a lot of them are one and done bucket listers. Smh.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
Don_W wrote:

I also fit Don_W's description and every triathlete I know locally does. Multiple IM guys who still ride road bikes with clip-ons etc, which is common around here due to it being hilly everywhere. When my new bike comes im going to be one of the exceptions around here for sure, and whilst its a nice bike which has cost a lot its not because im loaded, its just that I decided to put some money into my hobby and invest in one good bike rather than continually upgrade over years which would end up costing more. My car is a wreck because I have no interest in them, my power pedals cost the same amount. Just because you see someone with one nice thing or fancy gear doesnt mean the rest of their life is the same across all aspects. The vast majority of people arent competitive, if we start talking about how much it may cost to compete on the spiky end of the field, well thats a very different conversation to just people who participate in triathlon in general and their average wealth. Same for maintenance etc which someone was kicking off about earlier with the expense or doing it yourself and making mistakes etc... I just go to the bike shop and get them to do it properly first time, they dont charge much for bike servicing or fitting a part (if something even breaks). Whilst ill fully agree that the sport caters for wealthy people and you can spend some serious money if you are able and want to, you also dont need to be wealthy to participate or compete!

@the.lazy.triathlete

https://www.strava.com/athletes/18691068
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [TLT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TLT wrote:
mwanner13 wrote:
Don_W wrote:

I also fit Don_W's description and every triathlete I know locally does. Multiple IM guys who still ride road bikes with clip-ons etc, which is common around here due to it being hilly everywhere. When my new bike comes im going to be one of the exceptions around here for sure, and whilst its a nice bike which has cost a lot its not because im loaded, its just that I decided to put some money into my hobby and invest in one good bike rather than continually upgrade over years which would end up costing more. My car is a wreck because I have no interest in them, my power pedals cost the same amount. Just because you see someone with one nice thing or fancy gear doesnt mean the rest of their life is the same across all aspects. The vast majority of people arent competitive, if we start talking about how much it may cost to compete on the spiky end of the field, well thats a very different conversation to just people who participate in triathlon in general and their average wealth. Same for maintenance etc which someone was kicking off about earlier with the expense or doing it yourself and making mistakes etc... I just go to the bike shop and get them to do it properly first time, they dont charge much for bike servicing or fitting a part (if something even breaks). Whilst ill fully agree that the sport caters for wealthy people and you can spend some serious money if you are able and want to, you also dont need to be wealthy to participate or compete!

I can see the arguement that the entire field is not using top end equipment, but the reality is that the sport is expensive. IM races range from $300 to $800 for entry fees per race. Compare that to running where the average marathon is around $100-$150 and the only equipment you need is shoes and running clothes. Just entry fees alone put it in a class that is different from most sports. Factor in that you're keeping up with the costs of 3 sports in 1 and its relatively expensive. Obviously, there are more expensive hobbies, but no triathlon is not cheap by any means relative to other sports.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Isn’t a lot of the reason that lots of IM triathletes are just older?

I mean im 51. I no longer have any capital expenditures like house, car etc. My earnings are the highest they will ever be. I like doing triathlon.

As some have said it’s one of the cheapest things you can do. I’m not into boats, cars, watches, golf etc. I like triathlon so I just buy the best stuff. After the first year you have almost everything. I don’t need two wetsuits or two TT bikes.

If I was 25, sure, I wouldn’t but I’m not.

I don’t want to die with money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mwanner13 wrote:
IM races range from $300 to $800 for entry fees per race. Compare that to running where the average marathon is around $100-$150 and the only equipment you need is shoes and running clothes. Just entry fees alone put it in a class that is different from most sports.

IM isn't the be-all/end-all of triathlon. I started racing in '86, and still haven't done an actual IM race. I don't think I've ever spent more than $125 on an entry, and most of the races I've done have been less than $100.

"I'm thinking of a number between 1 and 10, and I don't know why!"
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [tomk407] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't see if anyone has had a crack at answering the second part of the question: how wise are triathletes?

Pethaps wisdom is a hard attribute to measure. Maybe if you took proxies like educational achievement, IQ? Has anyone actually ever tried to measure that stuff? My guess there is probably a correlation with income, and we are told that is higher than average.

Triathletes choose to spend some of their leisure time involved in enjoyable physical activity which improves health and wellbeing. It will likely reduce their risk of developing hypertension, type 2 diabetes, and if they keep it up probably increase their fitness and independence well in old age. On the other hand there are risks such as fractures, overuse injuries, and maybe sone opportunity cost within other aspects of life like relationships and career.

So I'm thinking triathletes might be 7 out of 10 wise?
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the other hand, I don't recall Socrates or Ghandi doing many triathlons. And Marcus Aurelius said strong arms were wasted on vain dumbbells, better to dig a vineyard.

So maybe 6 out of 10?
Quote Reply
Re: How wealthy are Triathletes? And how wise? [fruit thief] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fruit thief wrote:
I can't see if anyone has had a crack at answering the second part of the question: how wise are triathletes?...
The fact that no-one had attempted to provide much of an answer to that one, perhaps provides a suggestion in itself.
There is no useful way to answer that. What is wise? Perhaps not attempting to respond is wisest?
...or maybe that question just doesn't interest anyone. Is that because they're ignorant, or because they see the folly in the question? Both perhaps.
Now I'm bored. Goodbye
Quote Reply

Prev Next