Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer
Quote | Reply
Doesn't need to be bike specific, or sport specific. It just needs to lay under a skinsuit best as possible. I've seen stuff posed on the UK TT forums, but $$$. And when looking it up, would seem to be not as tight as I'd imagine.

I've seen the expensive products, but is there some Underamor or cheaper football or something gear someone has found to work well?

Gotta be like $60 or cheaper.
Quote Reply
Re: Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer [burnthesheep] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use Uniqlo heattech for running. Comes in 3 thicknesses, and I'd imagine if you undersized it would be pretty tight. The thinnest is alightly see-through when taut.

Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done a tight underarmour top over my race kit to stay warm for the first part of a cold ride after a cold swim, then took it off when I got hot and then put it in my special needs bag or threw it away at the next aid station, depending on how old it was and if I cared about it anymore.

Depending on the race, if you put something on under your skinsuit, you can get too hot and then you have to take off the skinsuit to get that layer out.

You could also put a layer of fabric against your chest and neck before putting on your skinsuit. Then pull it out through the neck hole when you get too hot and ditch it. Keep in in place with magnets, pins, or just #thoughtsandprayers

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you can get away with just something for your chest try a Tyvek USPS or Fedex envelope under your top. Cheap, disposable (while also reusable) and you can remove it easy enough if you get too hot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

/Close thread.

I've got a long sleeve and a sleeveless version of this and it's amazing.
Quote Reply
Re: Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

/Close thread.

I do as well (earlier versions) and they are amazing. Also have the bottoms which I used skiing.

That said, I've also done the tyvek shipping envelope thing mentioned above, and use Uniqlo Heattech when skiing. No wind-resistance from the latter though.

http://www.jt10000.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a very old Peal vest similar to this one. They are still hanging in there. Have been using Craft layers for ever.

Smart Wool also makes some windproof base layers. I have a couple of Long Sleeve layers that I use for skiing and cycling.

Cant go wrong with either Craft or Smartwool

Db
Quote Reply
Re: Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

/Close thread.

Just bought one in my size on closeout in REI garage for $40.

Had to add a closeout saddlebag to get free shipping, so essentially added a saddle bag for $2 to the order.

Woot.

Time to don the gear and get out there!

I have the glove thing down, aero and warm. A little sweaty, but fine for short work.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for the craft.

----------------------------
http://www.instagram.com/cyclewise
Quote Reply
Re: Tightest, thinnest, windproof base layer [txtyree] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For an unexpectedly chilly (10c/50f), rainy race a number of years ago I ended up cutting myself a torso-sized piece of a space blanket I found in my transition bag (I always kept scissors in there), then stuffing it inside the front of my trisuit. The crinkling of it on the run was annoying - especially since the heavy rain and wind meant that tri turned into a duathlon, so I had to put up with it twice - but it conformed perfectly to my shape, I didn't overheat, and I didn't go hypothermic. Getting it smoothed on took a bit of care (especially as I had to make it contour around boobs), but it ended up being about the perfect solution and cost me nothing but a few minutes before the race.

Quote | Reply
logella wrote:

/Close thread.

Same here bought mine in the sales. Normally too warm for most riding for me but vet handy when it's cold
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shrink wrap and a heat gun?
Quote Reply