Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Which comes first: sadldle or fit?
Quote | Reply
Lately I've been struggling with numbness on my road bike on the trainer. It usually starts after about 30-45 minutes. I've tried probably 3-4 saddles with everything from a leather Selle Anatomica to a Bontrager Hilo. While the Hilo has been better in the numbness area, it's very uncomfortable to sit on for any reasonable length of time.

So my question, should I be picking a saddle that fits my anatomy then fit the bike around that, or vis-a-versa?

Also, is there any "procedure" sort of thing for choosing a saddle? I can't really find any info beyond just measuring sit bones.

Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Which comes first: sadldle or fit? [gmh39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
find a fitter that has different saddles avail to try during a fit. the only delta to that is that some saddles dont present problems till longer amounts of time on them.

also, ive rented from this place before. great way to try out different saddles and narrow down what you like. they are awesome to work with.

http://www.sportfit-lab.com/bike-seat-demo.html

80/20 Endurance Ambassador
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There are two general types of saddles: traditional and noseless (FWIW, I classify saddles like the Hilo and Power in the "traditional" bucket). You sit on them differently, so your position in the fit is dictated by this choice. You just aren't going to be able to roll your hips forward as comfortably on a traditional saddle (which is really meant for supporting your weight at the sit bones) as on something like an ISM. Likewise, if you are sitting more upright (hips back) then an ISM (or similar saddle) isn't going to be ideal.

During the fit, saddle selection should be part of the process. I think you can move between traditional saddles (ex. from an Fizik Arione to a Spech Power) or short/noseless ones (Spech Sitero to a Fizik Tritone or an ISM PN1.1) with out a major fit change, but moving between the groups (Arione to a PN1.1) will probably alter the fit.

Note: Saddles tend to be a lot less comfortable on the trainer than the road. There's just less position adjustment while riding on the trainer. My rule of thumb is that my saddle is comfortable for only 50% as long on the trainer as it is outdoors.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would go with finding the right saddle first, as you may do things to mitigate a bad one in your fit. Find a fitter with a switch it, or a Purley Custom fit bike, or other one that can change the saddle under you in a few seconds. It is very hard to remember if this or that saddle was better when it takes minutes to change, and have at least a 1/2 dozen different styles to choose from.

But like others have said, the feel could change on a 100 mile ride, so make a deal with the fitter to be able to come back if it doesn't pan out on the road, like it did in the fit studio. But just remember, it is you who choose, not the fitter..
Quote Reply